Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My head is messed up
    I am 16 so which account do I get? What features should it have and which bank is the best?
    Any help?
    what do you people use?

ReputationRep:
    It depends what one calls 'the best'.

Since you are not yet a university student, there is nothing stopping you from opening as many accounts as you want. By all means do so - you can get all the freebies that you want. Remember that if you go to uni, you will only be able to keep one proper student account. Since you are not yet eighteen, the best card you can get is probably a Solo card, offered by Natwest. This is a kiddies version of the Switch, and is just about better than the Electron, which is just about more useful as a fart in a bottle.

The following is a direct quote from my post specifically about student accounts.

Banks love it when young people and uni students open a bank account with them, as they are likely to remain with that bank for the rest of their lives.

Since one should only open one student account, it is important to know what one is getting themselves into. Freebies are a good hook to open an account, with HSBC and Natwest (and maybe Barclays in the near future) offering a railcard. Do not immediately go for the bank that offers you the greatest freebies. Chances are, one should be more worried about overdrafts, credit cards and banking facilities.

I would always go with one of the Big Four. I personally intend to open my student account with Barclays. My family and their close friends have been banking with them for years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sonata)
    My head is messed up
    I am 16 so which account do I get? What features should it have and which bank is the best?
    Any help?
    what do you people use?
    You just need a basic current account such as the hsbc pre-student account this gives you a solo card and a chequebook which you can use anywhere, other banks may do similar but thats the one i had

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.