BLW
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am starting college in September and I've already left school so I can't access the advice I need. I am predicted all As at GCSE apart from A Grade 6/B in mathematics, I haven't done triple science so I won't receive a separate grade for Biology, Chemistry and Physics only additional science and core science, with both subjects at grade A on the AQA syllabus would it be worth me taking A level chemistry to become a Vet, I know there is courses out there that have a preliminary year so A Level Biology is accepted without Chemistry but the course takes another year (6 in total), I'm alright at chemistry and it's not my favourite science. Is it worth me trying the subject at A Level (but if I dropped I wouldn't get an AS because they've scrapped them) to try and cut a year out at university? Or should I stick with Psychology, Biology, Sociology and History?

NB: the college is also offering me a level 3 certificate in Health and Social Care

Any constructive advice is thanked for
brainzistheword
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by BLW)
I am starting college in September and I've already left school so I can't access the advice I need. I am predicted all As at GCSE apart from A Grade 6/B in mathematics, I haven't done triple science so I won't receive a separate grade for Biology, Chemistry and Physics only additional science and core science, with both subjects at grade A on the AQA syllabus would it be worth me taking A level chemistry to become a Vet, I know there is courses out there that have a preliminary year so A Level Biology is accepted without Chemistry but the course takes another year (6 in total), I'm alright at chemistry and it's not my favourite science. Is it worth me trying the subject at A Level (but if I dropped I wouldn't get an AS because they've scrapped them) to try and cut a year out at university? Or should I stick with Psychology, Biology, Sociology and History?

NB: the college is also offering me a level 3 certificate in Health and Social Care

Any constructive advice is thanked for
I'd say only take the subject if it is totally necessary for your course and if you will enjoy it. If it's not your favourite then it may hinder your grade and unis will look at you better for having higher grades in the subjects you enjoyed than a lower subject grade just because you want to cut off a year.

My advice would be to take the subjects you'll enjoy the most, because you'll be doing them for 2 years

Best of luck - any more questions feel free to message me
kennzo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
^ if you think chemistry is going to torture you at a-level maybe i wouldn't bother, esp. if you have a passion for those other somewhat unrelated subjects (good to educate yourself in other areas anyways) i suppose just have a good think about how much an extra year atuni, especially at the time of doing it, would bother you. i don't want to offer any bad advice. good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.24%
I'm not sure (33)
4.24%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (241)
30.98%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.44%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed