How are the maths module grades are allocated?

Watch
Toasticide
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So i took my (A level) maths and (AS) further maths at my school and they sorted everything out.
now in terms of applied modules am i right in thinking that when all the papers are marked they assign the top 2 appplied grades to ur maths grade and the next 2 (or 1 or 0 i suppose if you do FP2 or/and 3) to the further maths grade? or am i nuts in thinking this :P

for example for maths lets say i got an U in S1, U in M1
and further maths i got an A in D1 and A in D2.
do the grades move around so i end up with A in maths and U in further maths or would that be the other way around? (obvs not considering the core/FP modules as they clearly dont move)

(fyi those arent my actual grades lol, in reality theyre nearer so a little harder to use as an example)
usycool1
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
Yup, you're right.
Toasticide
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by usycool1)
Yup, you're right.
Ah thanks
imundercover
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I believe D2 is strictly a further maths subject only (may vary depending on your exam board) so in this case, you would keep an A in FM, but the other A would go to maths since d1 is a maths or fm subject, does that make sense?
so you'd end up with
maths: A, U
fm: A, U

but you're right that the exam boards always give the better grades to normal maths --- if the module can be taken in normal maths
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Toasticide)
So i took my (A level) maths and (AS) further maths at my school and they sorted everything out.
now in terms of applied modules am i right in thinking that when all the papers are marked they assign the top 2 appplied grades to ur maths grade and the next 2 (or 1 or 0 i suppose if you do FP2 or/and 3) to the further maths grade? or am i nuts in thinking this :P

for example for maths lets say i got an U in S1, U in M1
and further maths i got an A in D1 and A in D2.
do the grades move around so i end up with A in maths and U in further maths or would that be the other way around? (obvs not considering the core/FP modules as they clearly dont move)

(fyi those arent my actual grades lol, in reality theyre nearer so a little harder to use as an example)
All examiners follow the same rules to work out the result and yes in those unlikely circumstances and as long as your exams office has done the enries and cash-in requests correctly, D1 would be automatically allocated to maths and also D2 if needed to achieve the highest possible Maths grade. If this meant that you failed FM you could ask your exams office to request they combine things differently to give the best possible grade in maths while still achieving a pass in FM.
gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by imundercover)
I believe D2 is strictly a further maths subject only (may vary depending on your exam board) so in this case, you would keep an A in FM, but the other A would go to maths since d1 is a maths or fm subject, does that make sense?
so you'd end up with
maths: A, U
fm: A, U

but you're right that the exam boards always give the better grades to normal maths --- if the module can be taken in normal maths
D2 is not a strictly FM unit
D1+D2 is an allowed application unit combination for maths.
imundercover
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
sorry - just going off what my teacher told us..
(Original post by gdunne42)
D2 is not a strictly FM unit
D1+D2 is an allowed application unit combination for maths.
gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by imundercover)
sorry - just going off what my teacher told us..
No problem, It's very likely that your school will only allow FM students to study and take D2 exams for timetable or other teaching reasons but that won't restrict how the examiners combine the final results.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (23)
13.37%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.98%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.23%
I need help with my personal statement (72)
41.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (40)
23.26%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.74%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (13)
7.56%

Watched Threads