The Student Room Group

part-time work

I'm 19 years old. I finished my second semester at university and I want to find some work for the summer but I have zero experience working in a work environment. The only time I've worked is when I did my Y10 work experience placement. I have no connections who could put a refer me for an interview somewhere.

Ideally I'd want to do some paid retail or fast food work but it seems unlikely I'll be given any interviews given my lack of experience. I am open to doing volunteering to get something on my CV. But where do I start? Do I apply for a part-time job to see if I get any interviews or do I only look at volunteering?
Original post by ayyy2
I'm 19 years old. I finished my second semester at university and I want to find some work for the summer but I have zero experience working in a work environment. The only time I've worked is when I did my Y10 work experience placement. I have no connections who could put a refer me for an interview somewhere.

Ideally I'd want to do some paid retail or fast food work but it seems unlikely I'll be given any interviews given my lack of experience. I am open to doing volunteering to get something on my CV. But where do I start? Do I apply for a part-time job to see if I get any interviews or do I only look at volunteering?

Try applying to mcdonalds.
They are more likely to take on people without much experience and they take on a lot of students. They are also pretty flexible.
Also, working there, theres also the option of only working there when your not at uni (i.e. at christmas, at easter and in the summer). You can also transfer stores and work at a store near uni while at uni just during term time.

Quick Reply