Julie
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Fri, 19 Apr 2002 21:40:23 +0100, "Nicholas Dey" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>Hi,[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Anyone doing MU120 out there?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
I am. If you want to find lots of students who are doing MU120 then you need to take a look at
Firstclass (the OU conferencing system). If you haven't been sent the software, then you can access
it via the OU webpage at www.open.ac.uk/students. If you do want to get hold of the software, then
www.fcguru.org.uk is a good place to download it. You will need the OU computer username and
password that you will have been sent.

HTH

Julie
Nicholas Dey
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Good luck

Nicholas.

"Julie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> On Fri, 19 Apr 2002 21:40:23 +0100, "Nicholas Dey" <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >Hi,[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >Anyone doing MU120 out there?[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]> I am. If you want to find lots of students who are doing MU120 then you need to take a look at[/q1]
[q1]> Firstclass (the OU conferencing system). If you haven't been sent the software, then you can[/q1]
[q1]> access it via the OU webpage at www.open.ac.uk/students. If you do want to get hold of the[/q1]
[q1]> software, then www.fcguru.org.uk is a good place to download it. You will need the OU computer[/q1]
[q1]> username and password that you will have been sent.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> HTH[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Julie[/q1]

Hi Julie,

Thanks for the tips, however I do have First-Class already but rarely access
it. I just thought, for me at least, outlook would be quicker to dip in and out of. How's it going
for you? I'm rather enjoying the course but am discovering I knew more than I thought I did -
with the exception of stats that is! All in all a very useful reminder of the 'useful maths'
I'd forgotten. I'll certainly do the next unit - although I'm not sure I have the time to
submit all the work demanded. Never mind, I'm more interested in having fun learning than
certificate gathering.
Julie
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Sat, 20 Apr 2002 11:46:02 +0100, "Nicholas Dey" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Hi Julie,[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Thanks for the tips, however I do have First-Class already but rarely access[/q1]
[q1]>it. I just thought, for me at least, outlook would be quicker to dip in and out of.[/q1]

I would definitely recommend giving Firstclass another go. There are some quite busy, very useful
conferences for MU120 and even a couple of tutors take time to post there to answer queries. This
newsgroup doesn't tend to have many students posting about any particular courses. If you log into
your student webpage, there is now a direct link to the MU120 conferences.

[q1]>How's it going for you? I'm rather enjoying the course but am discovering I knew more than I[/q1]
[q1]>thought I did - with the exception of stats that is! All in all a very useful reminder of the[/q1]
[q1]>'useful maths' I'd forgotten.[/q1]

That's really the main reason I'm doing the course. I did S103 last year and discovered just how
rusty my maths has become. However, because of S103 (which had quite a high maths content), I'm
finding MU120 surprisingly easy. I am miles behind with it at the moment but it's not really
worrying me. My hubby did this course last year and I know from him that the workload doesn't really
pick up until about Unit 8.

[q1]>I'll certainly do the next unit - although I'm not sure I have the time to submit all the work[/q1]
[q1]>demanded. Never mind, I'm more interested in having fun learning than certificate gathering.[/q1]

That's often the best attitude. Just remember that level 1 courses with the OU don't have any
bearing on the final 'grade' of a degree, so a pass at 40% is worth exactly the same as a pass at
100% in the long run. That always makes it worth while finishing :-)

I hope you keep enjoying it.

Julie
Belkin
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Hiya, I'm doing MU120 here as well. The work doesn't seem that difficult, it just surprised me how
little spare time I actually did have. Going to have to try and complete all of Unit 7 today to try
and keep up, and then hopefully block out the next TMA next weekend.

Good luck with it all, and feel free to drop me a line, that goes for anyone on MU120 (I need the
distraction, lol).

Peter

[email protected] ICQ - 58483702
Belkin
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Oh yeah, does anyone know what this end of course assessment is? Is it just a big exam or what? Yeah
I know it's a little early to worry about it but I've seen it mentioned in a couple of places and
was just wondering. Thanks.

--
[email protected] ICQ - 58483702
Julie
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Sun, 21 Apr 2002 09:29:31 +0000 (UTC), "Belkin" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>Oh yeah, does anyone know what this end of course assessment is? Is it just a big exam or what?[/q1]
[q1]>Yeah I know it's a little early to worry about it but I've seen it mentioned in a couple of places[/q1]
[q1]>and was just wondering. Thanks.[/q1]

It's basically an extra long TMA that consolidates all the work you have done during the year. Just
make sure you keep all your marked TMAs as you will probably need them so that you can show examples
of your work in the ECA. One of the questions is usually a calculator programming question. My hubby
did the course two years ago, so I know the setup. He reckons it probably took him about 7 or 8
hours to put it all together.

HTH

Julie S
Prashant Meswan
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
The End of Course Assessment (aka ECA) is a TMA (aka essay / assignment) which replaces the exam.
Only main differences, more time and more work.

Prashant. "Belkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> Oh yeah, does anyone know what this end of course assessment is? Is it[/q1]
just
[q1]> a big exam or what? Yeah I know it's a little early to worry about it but I've seen it mentioned[/q1]
[q1]> in a couple of places and was just wondering. Thanks.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> --[/q1]
[q1]> [email protected] ICQ - 58483702[/q1]
Ian
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
I'm doing MU120 as part of a BA in Natural Science (doing S103 next i hope). Finding it extremely easy (apart from RPI) and have just finished CMA41 which isn't due in 'till 24th April. I'm finding that i'm bypassing a lot of the activities and not filling in any of the "learning sheets" as i just end up with a montain of paper but just reading through the units and then attempting the questions to which i just refer back to the units when i get stuck,But i'm completing the assignments dead easy and not feeling like i'm putting in the work. Is anyone else filling in ALL the sheets given in the packs and doing the activites?
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (215)
12.49%
Excited (157)
9.12%
Worried (306)
17.77%
Terrified (382)
22.18%
Meh (173)
10.05%
Confused (37)
2.15%