The Student Room Group
They will look for discrepancies between predicted and actual performance, may ask schools for mock results right before exams and compare and try to eliminate cheats

Most cheats will get away with it and only people hurt will be those who have worked hard all year and are on boundary of two grades
There was a leak?
Reply 3
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
They will look for discrepancies between predicted and actual performance, may ask schools for mock results right before exams and compare and try to eliminate cheats

Most cheats will get away with it and only people hurt will be those who have worked hard all year and are on boundary of two grades

But what if many people vastly improved on their mocks because of hard work?

I literally think I'm on a knife-edge of getting an A* so this is so ****...
Original post by jamestg
But what if many people vastly improved on their mocks because of hard work?

I literally think I'm on a knife-edge of getting an A* so this is so ****...

Not likely- i mean pre exam mocks like in may basically

Don't think asking for mock grades is fair, simply because I know firsthand that people don't revise for them. I never revise for mocks but like I got an E in a mechanics mock, but in the real thing I know I've got at least an A (I'm not just saying this, comparing answers with everyone else)
Original post by not_lucas1
Don't think asking for mock grades is fair, simply because I know firsthand that people don't revise for them. I never revise for mocks but like I got an E in a mechanics mock, but in the real thing I know I've got at least an A (I'm not just saying this, comparing answers with everyone else)

It will be accurate for most people tbh i reckon most people get one grade lower in last mock than in real one- you may be an exception
Reply 7

But they definitely won't make us resit, right?
I don't want to play devil's advocate here, but it's unlikely that anything will be done. Logistics and primarily cost mean a resit isn't feasible (exam boards are designed to make money plus Edexcel is privately owned).

Any discrepancies in grades can easily be down to actual revision not cheating so that method is out. They could call for students to be awarded their mock grade but that means that you render any revision done between then and now useless. This also calls the authenticity of internal mocks into scrutiny.

Just my thoughts. I think that, realistically, nothing meaningful will be done as the full scale of malpractice will be almost impossible to uncover.
Reply 9
It will be accurate for most people tbh i reckon most people get one grade lower in last mock than in real one- you may be an exception

It is impossible to determine the cheats from the non-cheats. Plenty of people dont try on the mocks but sweat it out on the real one.
If they use my mock results I'm getting a C :frown: I've pretty much turned into an A-grade C4 student from then though I lagged behind in this paper so I will probably get an A/B depending on grade boundaries
Original post by Rarest
It is impossible to determine the cheats from the non-cheats. Plenty of people dont try on the mocks but sweat it out on the real one.

True
Original post by pashawasha1
I don't want to play devil's advocate here, but it's unlikely that anything will be done. Logistics and primarily cost mean a resit isn't feasible (exam boards are designed to make money plus Edexcel is privately owned).

Any discrepancies in grades can easily be down to actual revision not cheating so that method is out. They could call for students to be awarded their mock grade but that means that you render any revision done between then and now useless. This also calls the authenticity of internal mocks into scrutiny.

Just my thoughts. I think that, realistically, nothing meaningful will be done as the full scale of malpractice will be almost impossible to uncover.

Imagine the outraged parents and students at cheats, something would have to be done on the surface anyway
Original post by Reality Check
Let me just say here categorically that we do not censor discussion about these leaks - of course people want to discuss it, and I encourage you to discuss it However, please do not discuss any aspects of moderation on the main forums, as this is against our rules. So too are personal attacks and insinuations.

As for the matter in hand, I understand there is an investigation. It's really difficult to predict any sort of outcome, but this is not the first time something like this has happened and, I suggest, won't be the last.

What happened last times this occurred?
How did they ensure fairness?
There is already a thread in the Maths Exam forum with an extensive discussion of this, please look over there to talk about it :smile:

Latest