Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

private schools vs state schools watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    why is there such a stigma attached to both of these?
    what do you think about this?
    have you ever experienced both schools?
    xx

ReputationRep:
    are you incapable of searching?

MB

ReputationRep:
    yer wooooooooottttt??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *angelface*)
    why is there such a stigma attached to both of these?
    what do you think about this?
    have you ever experienced both schools?
    xx
    yer i experienced, and now studying in a state skool, god it is so crappy and so huge,lol

ReputationRep:
    Okay, returning to a previous thread :rolleyes:

A student attaining top grades at a private school can have that level of performance realised by more effective tuition/better environment.

A student capable of the same in a comprehensive must have a higher degree of capability since it is likely they did not have the same level of tuition available to them/may possibly have had a worse work environment. Thus their full potential may not actually be realised (even though they attain such grades).

Add to this the sheer fact that private school parent's don't pay for the exact same standard of education this adds up.

You seem quite adamant to defend private schools, I can assure you that as long as there are wealthy people, there is no need to do this!

ReputationRep:
    I think GCSEs/A2's are really mainly the work of the teachers and that's why people who go to private schools do so well, they have had the best teachers for 14 years. It is sickening that grade boundaries can be made higher by high achievers in top schools, when really people should be compared to other people in their own school who have had the same teaching/come from a similar background.

Going to a bad school is all about life education, you will see if you sink or swim. People who go to private schools all seem pretty confident but I imagine they'd crack when they got into a bit of money, crime trouble and I can also assume they wouldn't know how to speak to a 51 year old cleaner who left school with no qualifications.

Everyone wants best for their child, but what annoys me so much is these rich folk who can afford private education but think they are doing best by letting their child go to a top comprehensive/grammar school for the "mix". Yeah, whatever. For one, there ain't no mix because that's what all rich families do and two you're taking a place up which could go to someone more needy. It's great though I suppose, save £10,000 and still get to send your child to the best school possible!

ReputationRep:
    yer probably u r rite,but although all ppl who went to private skools got high paid jobs, they r more educated than ppl who went to state skools.they get into prestigious universities, as cambridge and oxford and in the end of the day come out as highly educated ppl, who r far more intelligent than those ppl who went to a state skool. and even if they will be transferred to a state skool in the future, they would countinues to work hard, because they r well motivated and realize that the grades r important, whereas their classmates will be silly jerks, who r messing around and on who teacher spends half a lesson to calm down them. but there r still quite intelligent ppl in state skools, however there r not a lot of them as in independent skools. i fink that those inteligent ppl who go to state skool would achieve a lot more if they go to the independent skool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    yer probably u r rite,but althoug all ppl who went to private skools got high paid jobs, they r more educated than ppl who went to state skools.they get into prestigious universities, as cambridge and oxford and in the end of the day come out as highly educated ppl, who r far more intelligent than those ppl who went to state skool. and even if they will be transferred a state skool in the future, they would countinues to work hard, because they r well motivated and realize that the grades r important, whereas their classmates will be silly jerks, who r messing around and on who teacher spends half a lesson to calm down them. but there r still quite intelligent ppl in state skools, however there r not a lot of them as in independent skools. i fink that those inteligent ppl who go to state skool would achieve a lot more if they go to the independent skool.
    You are confusing intelligence with education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    yer probably u r rite,but althoug all ppl who went to private skools got high paid jobs, they r more educated than ppl who went to state skools.they get into prestigious universities, as cambridge and oxford and in the end of the day come out as highly educated ppl, who r far more intelligent than those ppl who went to state skool. and even if they will be transferred a state skool in the future, they would countinues to work hard, because they r well motivated and realize that the grades r important, whereas their classmates will be silly jerks, who r messing around and on who teacher spends half a lesson to calm down them. but there r still quite intelligent ppl in state skools, however there r not a lot of them as in independent skools. i fink that those inteligent ppl who go to state skool would achieve a lot more if they go to the independent skool.
    Argh! My reading age just dropped...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    You are confusing intelligence with education.

Clearly izzy has neither.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    Clearly izzy has neither.

MB

I am inclined to agree. Going to private school doesn't make you "more intelligent" it makes you better able to pass exams and enter higher education. Had i gone to a private school i'm sure my grades would have been a lot better. They were good for a state school although they would have been mundane and below average at a fee paying school. Even if i had gone to a grammar school i would have done better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    1st point, don't use text speak. If you are as intelligent as you say, you should be able to use correctly spelled words.

2nd point, private/independant schools do not neccissarily produce all the highest achieving people. Some private schools, such as the one my dad works at, are very happy if everyone taking exams got an E. One thing you do not get in private schools is the diversity of personalities. You say the state school was huge, they have to be, not everyone can afford to spend thousands a year to go to school. I have a friend who came away from our local comprihensive with an A in electronics and ICT and a B in maths and physics and is going to be doing a 5 year masters degree in software engineering. That doesn't quite fit your massive generalisation does it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    1st point, don't use text speak. If you are as intelligent as you say, you should be able to use correctly spelled words.

2nd point, private/independant schools do not neccissarily produce all the highest achieving people. Some private schools, such as the one my dad works at, are very happy if everyone taking exams got an E. One thing you do not get in private schools is the diversity of personalities. You say the state school was huge, they have to be, not everyone can afford to spend thousands a year to go to school. I have a friend who came away from our local comprihensive with an A in electronics and ICT and a B in maths and physics and is going to be doing a 5 year masters degree in software engineering. That doesn't quite fit your massive generalisation does it?
    Sweeping generalisations aside he makes a fair point at the end. Most people would achieve more (intelligence not being the issue here) if they went to private schools because the teaching is normally better. Classes are smaller and individual students get more attention. How could that not result in better grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toyosi)
    Sweeping generalisations aside he makes a fair point at the end. Most people would achieve more (intelligence not being the issue here) if they went to private schools because the teaching is normally better. Classes are smaller and individual students get more attention. How could that not result in better grades.
    Yes thats true but wasn't he trying to say that people in private schools are more intelligent which is obviously false (especially since grades are not a very good indication of intelligence but more of your working environment)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Yes thats true but wasn't he trying to say that people in private schools are more intelligent which is obviously false (especially since grades are not a very good indication of intelligence but more of your working environment)?
    Isn't that what IZZY! said?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    yer probably u r rite,but althoug
    I stopped reading here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toyosi)
    So you are saying the best teachers reside in private schools then?

My electronics/physics teacher is one of the best teachers I have ever had. He not only got me through physics with a grade, but also managed to get 100% A-C pass rate for electronics at AS and a 100% pass rate at A2. He is the reason I am going to uni.

ReputationRep:
    sam goddamnit go on msn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeWired)
    Okay, returning to a previous thread :rolleyes:

A student capable of the same in a comprehensive must have a higher degree of capability since it is likely they did not have the same level of tuition available to them/may possibly have had a worse work environment. Thus their full potential may not actually be realised (even though they attain such grades).
    I would have to agree. I went to a comprehensive for my GCSE's and the science teachers were crap! The environment wasn't very good and not alot of people had the enthusiasm to do well. I'm now at a Grammar school and i was told at the beginning of the year that my grades would have been a grade up if i had gone there at GCSE. The environment is better and i'm now surrounded by people who want to do well, which makes me want to work harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    So you are saying the best teachers reside in private schools then?

My electronics/physics teacher is one of the best teachers I have ever had. He not only got me through physics with a grade, but also managed to get 100% A-C pass rate for electronics at AS and a 100% pass rate at A2. He is the reason I am going to uni.
    Having gone to a state school i really wouldn't know what private school teachers are like. I do know in my school that there was about 1 great teacher in each department and the rest were a bit on the crap side. There were lots of younger ones, most of whom couldn't control classes and left after a year or so. I remember one of our french teachers being truly crap - someone corrected her cause she blatantly had it wrong and she ran off crying. Extreme case, point is regardless of whether private schools do have better teachers, they still have more time to give kids attention since classes are smaller - and i'm guessing (feel free to correct me if i'm wrong) that private schools probably have fewer disruptive students distracting the teachers attention every 5 seconds.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.