The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

piginapoke
I disagree. Education => knowledge. Intelligence is something else. </pedantry>

Intelligence is knowledge, you have to learn to be intelligent imo.
Reply 41
piginapoke
I disagree. Education => knowledge. Intelligence is something else. </pedantry>

I agree, I see intelligence as something that you are born with, education is the process of gaining knowledge and understanding, the more intelligent are better at this.
Reply 42
Lord Huntroyde
I agree, I see intelligence as something that you are born with, education is the process of gaining knowledge and understanding, the more intelligent are better at this.

but although it is possible to develop intelligency. some ppl develop it quicker, by having and studying for more qualifications and etc. and some ppl just degradate, by doing nothing ,therefore just keeping their intelligency at the same lvl and in the end of the day they r considered as not intelligent ppl.lol
Lord Huntroyde

You can't be born 'dumb', but simple things like the way you're parents played with you can effect how you learn. It's been proven that people who are not bright can be made bright...
Reply 44
happysunshine
You can't be born 'dumb', but simple things like the way you're parents played with you can effect how you learn. It's been proven that people who are not bright can be made bright...

i agree wiv this point. parents play the most important role here, they can turn not bright kid into bright one.
Reply 45
IZZY!
but although it is possible to develop intelligency. some ppl develop it quicker, by having and studying for more qualifications and etc. and some ppl just degradate, by doing nothing ,therefore just keeping their intelligency at the same lvl and in the end of the day they r considered as not intelligent ppl.lol

intelligency?

I think your point is correct to a point, but I can't accept that private school people are more intelligent naturally, though this is probably only because my definition of intelligence is different to yours.
Reply 46
Lord Huntroyde
intelligency?

I think your point is correct to a point, but I can't accept that private school people are more intelligent naturally, though this is probably only because my definition of intelligence is different to yours.

i dont fink as well that private school people r more intelligent naturally, they become intelligent years by years, because they develop it by studying higher stuff,more prestigious and harder qualifications, whereas some of the state skool ppl dont go even to uni,study mostly intermediate stuff(and i didnt include state grammar skools, i just mean only state comprehensive skools)
Reply 47
piginapoke
Depends on your definition, obviously mine is different to yours. I think what you're referring to as 'being intelligent' I would call 'being knowledgeable', and I would say intelligence is the capacity to learn, not actually having the knowledge. Anyway... :smile:

I agree with that.
Reply 48
IZZY!
i dont fink as well that private school people r more intelligent naturally, they become intelligent years by years, because they develop it by studying higher stuff,more prestigious and harder qualifications, whereas some of the state skool ppl dont go even to uni,study mostly intermediate stuff(and i didnt include state grammar skools, i just mean only state comprehensive skools)

Lots of private school students don't go to university either.

We should be proud of much of our state education, it's a lot better than many people think it is. It's not perfect, but so long as the Conservatives don't get elected it will continue to improve. I went to a comprehensive school (we don't have any grammar schools where I live) and we were streamed by subject within the school. Usually each year at least one person goes to Oxbridge and the school gets very good results. Grammar schools and private schools are unneccessary and socially divisive.

There isn't a huge gap between the private and public sector in terms of average A-Level results, and that's down to increased selectivity (self fulfilling prophecy, take smart kids and they get good grades) and more spoon feeding to get the grade for that exam. State school pupils learn independant study skills, and that benefits them at university.
IZZY!

Please don't say i'm the only one that keeps reading that as 'skate school'?
Reply 50
For the love of humanity. Stop with all the madness! I think its fair to say that someone who has a straight A academic record is intelligent regardless of where they went to school. There's only so much that good teaching and money and upbringing etc... can do for you, most of it is just brains and whether you define that as a capacity to learn or whatever - who cares. A high capacity to learn does make you intelligent. But If you're thick you're thick - private school isn't gonna change that, you'll probably do a little better there, but you'll still be a retard and have wasted all you're parents money. Well done.
Reply 51
I'm from state school (Cheney School in Oxford). 2 of us went to Oxford, 4 to Campbridge. Also lots of people got A's. It's not where you go, its whether you are prepared to work. Of cause good teachers help, but hey, if you don't have them its just a bigger challenge. You will have to stay at home and read a book instead of going to the pub, but you will get the grades that you want if you work hard enough.
Reply 52
Toyosi
For the love of humanity. Stop with all the madness! I think its fair to say that someone who has a straight A academic record is intelligent regardless of where they went to school. There's only so much that good teaching and money and upbringing etc... can do for you, most of it is just brains and whether you define that as a capacity to learn or whatever - who cares. A high capacity to learn does make you intelligent. But If you're thick you're thick - private school isn't gonna change that, you'll probably do a little better there, but you'll still be a retard and have wasted all you're parents money. Well done.

OH MY GOD... THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO SAY FOR DAYS!!!!! XXXXXXXXX
THNX

Latest

Trending

Trending