A*my
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Biology, chemistry and maths. How hard is year 13 in comparison to year 12? Did you find year 13 a lot harder?

For example, for AS OCR Biology, the papers are easy and grade boundaries are low. We only needed 55% for an A, what are the grade boundaries like for A2?
wil_is_he
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi I am currently doing my exams in these subjects. Maths is definitely harder but that is expected and it is still manageable, there are just a few different ideas you have to get your head around, for me personally i found C3 quite easy but C4 a challenge.

Chemistry gets a LOT harder.... AS chemistry is very easy in comparison... but that being said, it may be hard to get your head around it initially when your teacher is teaching it you, but just hang on in there and I feel if you stick at it then it comes together, In chemistry there are a lot of facts to learn but there isn't a huge amount of weird application. Module 5 is quite mathematical.

Now biology... is disgusting. There are a couple of hard topic in AS such as mitosis and meiosis, but all of second year is very hard... If you thought you knew photosynthesis and respiration... think again. The biology papers this year have been horrible, with actually very litte of the spec being included, so you spend hours and hours learning very complicated processes that might come up... and it just asks you random questions....

In terms of grade boundaries, for an A grade ... these are estimates and obviously change year on year, also with the new linear system no one is sure how they will turn out:
Maths: 80%
Chemistry: 75% (maybe 70)
Biology: 65% (although this year the predictions are more like 60, but we shall see)

Hope this helps let me know if you have more questions.... Now i need to go revise for my exams this week
A*my
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by wil_is_he)
Hi I am currently doing my exams in these subjects. Maths is definitely harder but that is expected and it is still manageable, there are just a few different ideas you have to get your head around, for me personally i found C3 quite easy but C4 a challenge.

Chemistry gets a LOT harder.... AS chemistry is very easy in comparison... but that being said, it may be hard to get your head around it initially when your teacher is teaching it you, but just hang on in there and I feel if you stick at it then it comes together, In chemistry there are a lot of facts to learn but there isn't a huge amount of weird application. Module 5 is quite mathematical.

Now biology... is disgusting. There are a couple of hard topic in AS such as mitosis and meiosis, but all of second year is very hard... If you thought you knew photosynthesis and respiration... think again. The biology papers this year have been horrible, with actually very litte of the spec being included, so you spend hours and hours learning very complicated processes that might come up... and it just asks you random questions....

In terms of grade boundaries, for an A grade ... these are estimates and obviously change year on year, also with the new linear system no one is sure how they will turn out:
Biology: 65% (although this year the predictions are more like 60, but we shall see)

Hope this helps let me know if you have more questions.... Now i need to go revise for my exams this week
Very helpful, thanks so much! Yeah, I'd expect it to get a lot harder. I actually did core 3 AQA this year as well as stats 2, but I'm leaving core 4 until next year as we only finished learning it in May (which felt a bit tight, especially having all the other 5 modules to revise for). I thought they went well, and I find c3 content ok but still considerably harder than the AS exams. Hopefully with a year to revise c4, it should be ok. I did this at first with the intention of doing further maths but if I find bio and chem a struggle next year I'm going to have to focus on getting good grades in them. Good luck with the rest of your exams!
ShadowSeeker
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by A*my)
Biology, chemistry and maths. How hard is year 13 in comparison to year 12? Did you find year 13 a lot harder?

For example, for AS OCR Biology, the papers are easy and grade boundaries are low. We only needed 55% for an A, what are the grade boundaries like for A2?
(Original post by wil_is_he)

I completely agree with wil_is_he

plus im the same position as him with those subject

that TSR person has said everything you need to know
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (24)
22.02%
Unhappy (34)
31.19%
Conflicted (51)
46.79%

Watched Threads