The Student Room Group

Where should I NOT apply?

I have 5 A* and 6 A at GCSE, (+ a B in Additional Maths - should I declare that????)

I have AAAA in my AS Levels with 280,269,265 and 254 for Eco, French, Engl Lang and German respectively.

I am applying to study Law. Are there any colleges that you would suggest I DO NOT apply to with my current criteria? I am trying to narrow down atm, although Downing looks very attractive - I am aware that it is very competitive for Law however , due to its excellent reputation.

Tom

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Negative question!!! Don't listen to the stereotypes and go for a college you like. If you're a good enough candidate you will at least be pooled. Downing is good for law, Tit Hall is also strong.

As for declaring results, I think that legally you've got to declare all of them on your UCAS form.
I got 6A*s 2As and 2Bs; at applying, my UMS marks were a couple of 260s, a 250 and a 222... and I applied to Caius for History; very competative from what I'm told... oh and my B was in maths...

Your grades are certainly good enough; its your personal statement and interview that matter very much. If you're Cambridge material, surely they'll pool you; I was pooled and interviewed by two other colleges - your credentials look good; go for it lad. And goodluck.
Where not to apply to... Let me think...

OXFORD!

:tongue:
polthegael
Where not to apply to... Let me think...

OXFORD!

:tongue:

You're definately not cut out to be a parent :tongue: ; I mean what kind of a parent gives that advice to anyone? :biggrin:
Reply 5
tomlegge
I have 5 A* and 6 A at GCSE, (+ a B in Additional Maths - should I declare that????)

I have AAAA in my AS Levels with 280,269,265 and 254 for Eco, French, Engl Lang and German respectively.

I am applying to study Law. Are there any colleges that you would suggest I DO NOT apply to with my current criteria? I am trying to narrow down atm, although Downing looks very attractive - I am aware that it is very competitive for Law however , due to its excellent reputation.

Tom

why you DON'T want to apply to these colleges... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

pls have a sense of humour, if not, ignore. :biggrin:

Christ's College: you want a life.

Churchill College: you don't want to be an engineer.

Clare College: you don't want to become a UKL addict.

Clare Hall: you're too young.

Corpus Christi College: you didn't know it existed.

Darwin College: didn't you hear? you're too young!

Downing College: you don't want to be sued.

Emmanuel College: you like duck. in a food sort of way.

Fitzwilliam College: you don't like mountaineering.

Girton College: you want to go to cambridge, no?

Gonville and Caius College: of course you want to come to caius... :biggrin:

Homerton College: do you want to learn to handle screaming kids?

Hughes Hall: nope, you haven't reached the age limit in the last 5 minutes yet...

Jesus College: you don't like rowing, or at least boatie history.

King's College: you don't want to share, and you hate red, and sickles, and hammers...

Lucy Cavendish: you're underage! and missing a few body parts... (i think)

Magdalene College: you don't own a white-tie affair for the May Ball.

New Hall: you lack estrogen.

Newnham College: too much PMS?

Pembroke College: you don't want to suffer the embarrassment of rolling out of your bed and into a natsci lecture accidentally.

Peterhouse: 'cause you're a guy?

Queens' College: 'cause they've got problems with punctuation.

Robinson College: 'cause you're more of a wood and concrete kind of guy.

St Catharine's College: 'cause you prefer dogs.

St Edmund's College: you don't like geriatrics.

St John's College: 'cause you don't actually mind trinity, and you want to be popular.

Selwyn College: cause... just because.

Sidney Sussex College: cause you know you're a shopaholic and eat too much.

Trinity College: 'cause you're not into numbers, and you can't afford a personal butler.

Trinity Hall: which self respecting guy wants to be called a "tit"?!

Wolfson College: look, i know you can't wait to vote. one word - PATIENCE.
Reply 6
tomlegge

Tom

Apply to Downing if that's your first choice. You have great grades and UMS marks, and with a good personal statement you'd stand a decent chance of getting an offer from Downing. Bear in mind that a lot of the decision is normally based on your interview, so do well at interview and you have every chance of gaining an offer.

Like i think it was Ticki who said above....if competition is too fierce but you are good enough, you will be pooled.

What colleges are on your shortlist atm?

G
KHL

Gonville and Caius College: of course you want to come to caius... :biggrin:

More like
Gonville and Caius College: if you don't want to be ripped off (excessively expensive rooms + internet + they fine you for everything and are really stingy on grants and stuff) and be made to buy expensive dinner tickets for mank food!

George
Clare College
(but girlfriend goes to caius!)
Reply 8
GeorgeYianni
More like
Gonville and Caius College: if you don't want to be ripped off (excessively expensive rooms + internet + they fine you for everything and are really stingy on grants and stuff) and be made to buy expensive dinner tickets for mank food!

George
Clare College
(but girlfriend goes to caius!)

I heard Caius was one of the richer colleges at cambridge and so they weren't quite so stingy??

G
Reply 9
gzftan
I heard Caius was one of the richer colleges at cambridge and so they weren't quite so stingy??

G

"Extort to accumulate" - is the mantra IIRC. :biggrin:
Reply 10
mobbdeeprob

Lol..fair point

G
Reply 11
mobbdeeprob

Nice...:biggrin:

Rich doesn't always = generous. Harvard is the world's richest university, but they at one point refused to pay their janitors minimum wage (don't know if this is still the case).
mobbdeeprob

Yeah I think that is definately the case. They are meant to be pretty rich but it so doesnt show. I think my girlfriends small attic room next year (5m/3m) is costing her 750 quid a term! My set is costing me 560 quid a term at clare. What else they charge you 30 quid a term for the net, I think I pay 5. And worst of all she had to go on a 5 week individual mapping course over the summer and they gave her 5 pounds a day maintenance (all the other peeps I know are getting about 10 or more!).

Pretty stingy

Oh I already mentioned the food didnt I, and that you have to buy 250 pounds worth of tickets every term to eat the mank...

That was a bit anti really, apart from that its a pretty nice college....

George
Clare College
Reply 13
GeorgeYianni
Yeah I think that is definately the case. They are meant to be pretty rich but it so doesnt show. I think my girlfriends small attic room next year (5m/3m) is costing her 750 quid a term! My set is costing me 560 quid a term at clare. What else they charge you 30 quid a term for the net, I think I pay 5. And worst of all she had to go on a 5 week individual mapping course over the summer and they gave her 5 pounds a day maintenance (all the other peeps I know are getting about 10 or more!).

Pretty stingy

Oh I already mentioned the food didnt I, and that you have to buy 250 pounds worth of tickets every term to eat the mank...

That was a bit anti really, apart from that its a pretty nice college....

George
Clare College

Lol...oh great...i'm heading off to the worst college in cambridge!!! :tongue:

Only jokin....i'm sure i'll love it anyway..despite all this. :biggrin:

G
Reply 14
gzftan
Lol...oh great...i'm heading off to the worst college in cambridge!!! :tongue:

I was just thinking, no one can accuse Pol of going to the worst college in Cambridge, 'cause it's not actually in Cambridge. :wink:
Reply 15
Squishy
I was just thinking, no one can accuse Pol of going to the worst college in Cambridge, 'cause it's not actually in Cambridge. :wink:

Hehe..that makes me feel so much better :tongue:

G
Reply 16
gzftan
Hehe..that makes me feel so much better :tongue:

G

Seriously though, I worry about the colleges where people seem too boastful about how good they are...usually makes me feel they aren't being too honest. :biggrin:
Reply 17
Squishy

Ooooooooooooooooooooh. Are you sure you're not a girl? :wink:
Reply 18
Acaila
Ooooooooooooooooooooh. Are you sure you're not a girl? :wink:

I'm sure, why? :confused:
Reply 19
Cos you're awfull b****y :tongue:

Latest