The Student Room Group

For anyone confused about the C3/C4 Leaks

Statement from the president of Pearson

They both - and apparently an Econ paper have been confirmed to have leaked.
https://twitter.com/PhysicsMathsTut/...63952588775424

(Check edexcel's twitter - they've confirmed it!)

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/...hs-paper-leak/

Predicted grades will be useless - as will any methods to analyze 'odd' patterns in results - as will be lowering grade boundaries! Best solution, imo, is a resit.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by dugdg

Predicted grades will be useless - as will any methods to analyze 'odd' patterns in results - as will be lowering grade boundaries! Best solution, imo, is a resit.

A resit is a horrible idea. A resit will for very unfair for all the people who worked really hard and did really well in that exam. They'd have their excellent performance in that exam completely disregarded.
Reply 2
Original post by exams292
A resit is a horrible idea. A resit will for very unfair for all the people who worked really hard and did really well in that exam. They'd have their excellent performance in that exam completely disregarded.

Compensates for the notable discrepancies in those results - people who weren't even doing Maths A Level had access to the paper(s)! Much more effective than utterly lowering grade boundaries. Perhaps an option to either keep your result or resit in July/August?
Original post by dugdg

edexcel have not confirmed it yet
You know it costs money, time and effort to just re-sit everyone.
Reply 5
Original post by dugdg
Compensates for the notable discrepancies in those results - people who weren't even doing Maths A Level had access to the paper(s)! Much more effective than utterly lowering grade boundaries. Perhaps an option to either keep your result or resit in July/August?

I like the option of keeping a result or resitting in July/August. I just think it's unfair that people who worked really hard have that whole exam disregarded.
+I don't think it matters too much if grade boundaries rise/fall. If you or anyone else got 70+, then you have nothing to worry about, u'll get an A*
Original post by dugdg

I don't see a confirmation in either of those links. Physics and maths tutor is not an official source, the edexcel tweet just says they're still investigating, and the other is a petition which isn't official and means nothing.

I'm not saying there isn't a leak, but so far there is no definite evidence that there is.
Reply 7
Original post by Nulliverse
You know it costs money, time and effort to just re-sit everyone.

It also costs money, time and effort to take these courses. And to ensure that papers don't leak. This isn't a trivial issue. It's essential they take this seriously!
I like the option of keeping a result or resitting in July/August. I just think it's unfair that people who worked really hard have that whole exam disregarded.
+I don't think it matters too much if grade boundaries rise/fall. If you or anyone else got 70+, then you have nothing to worry about, u'll get an A*

tbh if you get nearly full ums in that paper you dont need to worry about a resit because you could replicate it again easily-doesnt mean you should have to tho
Reply 9
Original post by sindyscape62
I don't see a confirmation in either of those links. Physics and maths tutor is not an official source, the edexcel tweet just says they're still investigating, and the other is a petition which isn't official and means nothing.

I'm not saying there isn't a leak, but so far there is no definite evidence that there is.

mathsandphystutor a real 1 tho - dun did all the research - n go call edexcel they'll confirm blud
Original post by sindyscape62

You should check out the Edexcel Economics thread. 2 questions posted before the exam was due to start. Lots of people saying they were being offered C3 and C4 for £200-500, there are also pictures of C4 questions doing the rounds on twitter. Ofqual is investigating the leak for C4 specifically, but it is pretty clear all 3 have been leaked.
(edited 6 years ago)
Probably won't be a resit. My a2 sociology exam got leaked last year (albeit only in whatsapp group to like 50 people) and all the exam board did was raise everyone's raw mark by 1 point because of it.

Most likely the exam board will try and find the people who benefited from the leak and DQ them, if that's not possible then either super low grade boundaries but who knows.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by dugdg
It also costs money, time and effort to take these courses. And to ensure that papers don't leak. This isn't a trivial issue. It's essential they take this seriously!

Yes it does but to make everyone resit just because a few people got their hands on the paper makes it seems it's not worth the cost. They say they have measures in place to make sure no one is disadvantaged.
Reply 13
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
tbh if you get nearly full ums in that paper you dont need to worry about a resit because you could replicate it again easily-doesnt mean you should have to tho

I don't think I can get full ums again simply because getting full ums comes down to not making any mistakes. I'd most probably get 70+, but there's an element of luck in getting full ums, because u have to make 0 mistakes. I really don't want to resit
Reply 14
Original post by Inexorably
Probably won't be a resit. My a2 sociology exam got leaked last year (albeit only in whatsapp group to like 50 people) and all the exam board did was raise everyone's raw mark by 1 point because of it.

Most likely the exam board will try and find the people who benefited from the leak and DQ them, if that's not possible then either super low grade boundaries but who knows.

I sincerely appreciate your input my g - but comparing sociology to maths is just pagan behaviour. Facetiousness aside - finding those who benefitted is not possible. People who weren't even doing maths had access! Results that contrasted predicted and mock grades are not reliable (plenty people exceed predicted grades and vice versa - as well as the case with mock). Either super low grade boundaries or the option to resit/accept your inherently unfair grade.
I don't think I can get full ums again simply because getting full ums comes down to not making any mistakes. I'd most probably get 70+, but there's an element of luck in getting full ums, because u have to make 0 mistakes. I really don't want to resit

You shouldnt have to and wont have to.
Its just the leak is really gonna screw some people
Reply 16
Original post by dugdg
I sincerely appreciate your input my g - but comparing sociology to maths is just pagan behaviour. Facetiousness aside - finding those who benefitted is not possible. People who weren't even doing maths had access! Results that contrasted predicted and mock grades are not reliable (plenty people exceed predicted grades and vice versa - as well as the case with mock). Either super low grade boundaries or the option to resit/accept your inherently unfair grade.

Why is it inherently unfair? I worked hard for that A* I got today. And 70+ will always be an A* whether or not some people cheated.
But then a resit would help to make it more obvious who cheated by comparing the marks in both the original and new paper.
Reply 18
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
You shouldnt have to and wont have to.
Its just the leak is really gonna screw some people

This don of studentroom knows. Have you heard about the idea they'll average out your C1/C2/C3 grades for C4?
Original post by dugdg
This don of studentroom knows. Have you heard about the idea they'll average out your C1/C2/C3 grades for C4?

dont mind that you know but no that would also be unfair for people who finessed c4 but flopped one of others

Quick Reply

Latest