The Student Room Group

UKCAT 2017. Who's taking UKCAT 2017?

Hi guys, who's taking UKCAT this year and have you started preparing?

Scroll to see replies

Hi @RikaM! I've moved your post to the Medicine forum. There's also already a master thread for this subject here where you'll be able to find other students taking the UKCAT this year :h:
I'm taking it this year
I'm dead ass nervous 😕

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by kudzai2007
I'm taking it this year
I'm dead ass nervous 😕

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too, this will be my second attempt at UKCAT. The first time was more a trial. When is your exam? mines in August.
Original post by RikaM
Me too, this will be my second attempt at UKCAT. The first time was more a trial. When is your exam? mines in August.

In August too, how was the first attempt?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by kudzai2007
In August too, how was the first attempt?

Posted from TSR Mobile

the first attempt was pretty hard. did it a few years ago with little to No prep and got around 460 (yukkk) lol.
I've started revising and i'm currently using medify and ISC 600 book i had a few years back. What resources are you using now? are they useful so far to you?
You should be using the ISC 1250 book not the 600. It has the newer style VR and AR questions plus DM.
Original post by RikaM
the first attempt was pretty hard. did it a few years ago with little to No prep and got around 460 (yukkk) lol.
I've started revising and i'm currently using medify and ISC 600 book i had a few years back. What resources are you using now? are they useful so far to you?

I have the UKCAT app where there are practice questions, and I sometimes go on the UKCAT website to practice as well. I'm not really practising as much as I should though. There're a bit useful, but the app seems to repeat the questions once you've done a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RikaM
Hi guys, who's taking UKCAT this year and have you started preparing?

Hi there!

We recommend that the UKCAT takes around six weeks to prepare for - four weeks of regular revision and two weeks of intense revision and practice questions - so when you book your exam will dictate when you start preparing!

You might find it useful to visit the following pages for our top tips on the sections of the UKCAT:

- UKCAT Verbal Reasoning Tips
- UKCAT Quantitative Reasoning Tips
- UKCAT Abstract Reasoning Tips

We also have our detailed UKCAT guide which can help you in your preparation. Good luck!

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal
Reply 9
Maaaan, I wanna start preparing but we've still got mocks...
Hoping to start in a few weeks
20K+ people will be taking the UKCAT.
my second year taking the UKCAT, got average of 643 last year. using medify mostly which is definitely the best resource out there, have the 1250 question book too for the decision making questions only as theyre pretty limited
Reply 12
Original post by RikaM

Hey :-) I would advise against using the 600Q book much. It has Decision Analysis which is now obselete, it is outdated for VR and AR and does not contain this year's new Decision Making section. I.e. it's only really useful for QR (and the QR questions in that book are notoriously hard!)

Many of our students seem to like Medify. One of the good things about it is that like the actual UKCAT test, it is online. You may also want to check out our online question bank UKCAT Ninja (6med). Don't forget as well that there are a bunch of practice resources on the official UKCAT website however I recommend saving these for just before your test (don't waste them during the early stages when you're not acquaitned with the test) as they are probably the most representative/realiable resources you can use.

Best of luck! Feel free to ask any more questions :-)

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med
Reply 13
Original post by UKCATrocks
You should be using the ISC 1250 book not the 600. It has the newer style VR and AR questions plus DM.

thank you, i will check it out. where do i buy it?
Reply 14
Original post by 6med
Hey :-) I would advise against using the 600Q book much. It has Decision Analysis which is now obselete, it is outdated for VR and AR and does not contain this year's new Decision Making section. I.e. it's only really useful for QR (and the QR questions in that book are notoriously hard!)

Many of our students seem to like Medify. One of the good things about it is that like the actual UKCAT test, it is online. You may also want to check out our online question bank UKCAT Ninja (6med). Don't forget as well that there are a bunch of practice resources on the official UKCAT website however I recommend saving these for just before your test (don't waste them during the early stages when you're not acquaitned with the test) as they are probably the most representative/realiable resources you can use.

Best of luck! Feel free to ask any more questions :-)

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med

Hi,
thank you for replying. I found everything you said very useful. I will check out the updated book asap.
Reply 15
Original post by The Medic Portal
Hi there!

We recommend that the UKCAT takes around six weeks to prepare for - four weeks of regular revision and two weeks of intense revision and practice questions - so when you book your exam will dictate when you start preparing!

You might find it useful to visit the following pages for our top tips on the sections of the UKCAT:

- UKCAT Verbal Reasoning Tips
- UKCAT Quantitative Reasoning Tips
- UKCAT Abstract Reasoning Tips

We also have our detailed UKCAT guide which can help you in your preparation. Good luck!

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal

This definitely helps. thank you so much
Reply 16
Original post by xJessScott
my second year taking the UKCAT, got average of 643 last year. using medify mostly which is definitely the best resource out there, have the 1250 question book too for the decision making questions only as theyre pretty limited

hi jess,
how comes you didn't use that score to get into med school?
Original post by RikaM
thank you, i will check it out. where do i buy it?

I presume the larger bookshops will have it. If not, you can always try Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1905812264/
Reply 18
Original post by UKCATrocks
I presume the larger bookshops will have it. If not, you can always try Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1905812264/

Thank you. I made a purchase this morning on amazon, will hopefully receive it tomorrow. thanks for the recommendation.
Original post by RikaM
hi jess,
how comes you didn't use that score to get into med school?

my a levels and gcses arent so good so have to apply to unis that look at my degree which is newcastle and warwick mostly, therefore they have higher UKCAT cut offs, newcastle was 700 asnd 743 for a100 and a101 this year so hoping to get that this year
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest