The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

imo it's a bit young...
Reply 2
Original post by Naveed-7
I'm a 23 year old muslim male who has never been in a relationship.
I'm currently working and I have a car but I still live with my parents. Hopefully I'll move out some day soon.

I have been single all my life. I never got in to any relationships or had any girlfriends in College or Uni because I'm not allowed to have GFs or sex outside marriage in my religion. I also managed to stay single, fresh and untouched for all these years and I'm proud of myself.

However, my body and mind is now telling me that I need to find a partner to spend my life with and to work together with. I also can't fulfill my relationship desires or sexual desires by not getting married as it is not allowed in Islam. So the only choice for me is to find someone, get to know them and hopefully get married.

I always keep fit, go out to the park, travel and go restraunts in my spare time. I also do my own washing up and my own cleaning. I just need to find the right person to settle down for the rest of my life with.

The only thing that worries me is that I'm not rich and I don't have my own house yet. I'm slightly worried that the woman's parents might want me to be rich or have lots of money. I am trying my best though.

Do you think 23 is a good age to get married?

23 is good, you're not too old. If those are the parents expectations, then it's probably not worth it. However, if you're still in full time education I'd recommend to finish your education first then get married depending on the situation.
I'm currently working and I have a car but I still live with my parents. Hopefully I'll move out some day soon.

I have been single all my life. I never got in to any relationships or had any girlfriends in College or Uni because I'm not allowed to have GFs or sex outside marriage in my religion. I also managed to stay single, fresh and untouched for all these years and I'm proud of myself.

However, my body and mind is now telling me that I need to find a partner to spend my life with and to work together with. I also can't fulfill my relationship desires or sexual desires by not getting married as it is not allowed in Islam. So the only choice for me is to find someone, get to know them and hopefully get married.

I always keep fit, go out to the park, travel and go restraunts in my spare time. I also do my own washing up and my own cleaning. I just need to find the right person to settle down for the rest of my life with.

The only thing that worries me is that I'm not rich and I don't have my own house yet. I'm slightly worried that the woman's parents might want me to be rich or have lots of money. I am trying my best though.

I'm an atheist so probably wont be able to advise you as to what your culture says (and i dont understand arranged marriage really). But i think you should get married when you know you're ready, not what anyone else says. I'll be 22 when i get married in october though :P
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
I'm an atheist so probably wont be able to advise you as to what your culture says (and i dont understand arranged marriage really). But i think you should get married when you know you're ready, not what anyone else says. I'll be 22 when i get married in october though :P

If that were me, 22 would be way too young for me to get married.
23 isn't too old.. nor too young - only get married when you are ready.
Original post by S2M
If that were me, 22 would be way too young for me to get married.

That's the thing everyones different though and most people think i m much older with my approach to life than 22.

dont get married mate.....ever
Reply 8
That's the thing everyones different though and most people think i m much older with my approach to life than 22.

Ah, you're too mature for your age. I've also been told that before.
Mental maturity doesnt depend on age ( after a certain age, i know what youre gonna say,roll with it)
marriage requires mental maturity and being responsible
do it if you feel ready
Original post by S2M
Ah, you're too mature for your age. I've also been told that before.

No such thing as too mature really as long as you'r enjoying your life, i think it's down to each person having a different perception. My friends have always called me the sensible one though.
if there is a god which I have come to realize there has to be
first consider the simulation hypothesis then consider a slight modified version of Alvin Plantinga's ontological argument and you realize that you would get being of all realities in the place of the god of all possible worlds etc.

Which would effectively mean one ultimate being spread across all realities.

However I really really doubt they would care about one individual human having a twang of the wrist. There are likely over Septillion realities all with a few trillion Galaxies at least then with hundreds of billions of life planets in each galaxy likely having astronomically large amounts of intelligent civilizations spread throughout.

and you really think this ultimate being is going to worry about one particular individual following basic evolutionary urges and having a twang of the wrist?

Dude I would be seriously seriously disappointed if the ultimate intelligence across all the realities is actually concerned in the slightest about one random creatures ******* habits.

The perfection of reality is the evolution of righteousness and unity through the self cleansing of Immoral sentience via the process of evolution, your masturbation habits or lack of is of utter insignificance.
never mind the age, finding the right person is hard enough as it is
Stop caring about what people think.

If you are happy and ready to get married then do it
You've never even been in a relationship ... it's a bit too early to think about marriage now when you haven't even had any sexual experiences thus faR
I can talk from a muslim's point of view which probably means most of what I say won't apply. For example, I wouldn't talk about what age to get married before finding someone to marry. It would depend on when I met the right person. I know that is not how it works for muslims.

I would say that sexual frustration isn't a good reason to get married though. You should be going into marriage because you want to make the commitment. Not making it because it is the only way to satisfy you urges.

I got married at 23. Statistically, it is unlikely to be a success but I felt mature and I was confident in our relationship to take that step. Unfortunately many also feel the same, their marriage fails and later realise that they were too young.

For many it is too young, for some it isn't. Make your own decision about which category you fall into and think deeply about the gravity and permanence of the decision.

I'd recommend being independent from your parents and being mature enough to not let in-law opinions get in your way but, again, that may be a cultural thing. My parents were moderately opposed to my wedding. It isn't nice but then I thought if I'm too scared to stand up to my Mum and take my own decisions, I'm not man enough to be married anyway.
Reply 16
I'd go for 26-30. Depends, sometimes getting married gets rid of that magic of having a girlfriend. I think relationships should be developed over a long time. I'm not prepared to jump into something early that requires me to invest my whole life especially with a higher risk of it breaking apart easily.
Reply 17
No such thing as too mature really as long as you'r enjoying your life, i think it's down to each person having a different perception. My friends have always called me the sensible one though.

Same here, I never really mess around in any sense. My parents always compare me to my older brother in the sense that he's older than me yet less mature. I don't really have fun.
Original post by S2M
Same here, I never really mess around in any sense. My parents always compare me to my older brother in the sense that he's older than me yet less mature. I don't really have fun.

Everyone's idea of fun is different though, mine isn't clubbing or anything like that but it's still fun
Reply 19
Everyone's idea of fun is different though, mine isn't clubbing or anything like that but it's still fun

Yeah true. Clubbing is well just...clubbing. Not really anything I'd do.