The Student Room Group

Applying at Next

Hello,

I have just had my phone interview for Next and I have been iited to go in on Tuesday for a team assessment. Has anyone gone through this process at Next before? if so can you explain a little about what i will be doing and what to expect? This is my first interview and I am really nervous.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by booey1605
Hello,

I have just had my phone interview for Next and I have been iited to go in on Tuesday for a team assessment. Has anyone gone through this process at Next before? if so can you explain a little about what i will be doing and what to expect? This is my first interview and I am really nervous.

You should definitely check out Glassdoor as previous applicants use it to post their assessment/interview experience.
https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Interview/Next-Retail-Interview-Questions-E7749.htm

I had a look through some of the reviews and it looks like you're likely to be on the shop floor (see below). I guess from a more general standpoint, my advice is not to panic and to be friendly with everyone. Treat it like you're hosting a party and you're there to make everyone feel welcome and show that you're willing to help them.

The team assessment consisted of spending time on the shop floor; working the fitting room, the shoe department and the stockroom. This was slightly nerve wracking at first, however if you just throw yourself into it and smile a lot (definitely approach customers and politely greet them, ask if they're okay, even make small talk about the weather!) you'll be absolutely fine, they just want to see you'll be confident and happy to talk to customers. The staff would make notes on your approach to the tasks given and your attitude towards customers! If there's nothing to do, just tidy up and size order the clothes and even make a bit of chat with the staff as it shows you're willing to be a team player and will easily be able to fit in and effectively communicate with the team! After my time on the shop floor (roughly 20 minutes) I was then taken to the staff room and offered a permanent position instead of the Christmas temp position, which was great news and they were lovely enough to give me £10 cash for travel expenses and a £10 gift card for Next! That was a lovely surprise!

My advice to anyone applying would be to just be yourself, and smile a lot, really be willing to show you're capable of following instructions and completing tasks correctly and definitely above all, approach the customers! That's the main aspect I found they looked for! Even if customers don't want to speak, don't be disheartened, just approach another :smile:
Original post by booey1605
Hello,

I've worked at Next for the summer sales, and I've also applied for a part time position for this summer, which I've been shortlisted for.

When I had my team assessment for the summer sales job, from what I remember, this is how it went:

Everyone handed in their passport / birth certificate / NI number for checking.

A quick tour of the premises were made, including the stock room and the staff-only areas.

We then headed as a group to a staff room and played an icebreaker game - we each picked a card with a question on it from a pile, and took it in turns to answer the question on the card. Mine was "if you were stranded on a island and could only take one item with you, what would it be?"

We then watched some training videos which showed what to expect in our different roles (ie till work, shop floor assistant, warehouse staff etc) and some tips on how to work quickly and efficiently.

We were told some basic safety instructions such as fire and how to lift heavy items, etc.

We were trained on how to label items of clothing using a label gun, as this was the summer sales, every item of clothing had its own sale tag that was colour coded.

We were given some other documents with terms/conditions/ information about pay etc

That's all I can remember from it really. It was pretty basic, nothing to worry about. If you have any other questions about Next feel free to ask :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending