The Student Room Group

Degree Results

My Grandson has just been awarded a 2:1 of which I am really pleased. However he has informed me that he missed out on a 1:1 by 0.3 of a mark, is that possible?
I am unsure if the the marks awarded are published for the student to see as I assumed these were averages or the whole course work. Can you tell if there is a final exam at the end of a degree course and if the results are actually published?
It is very important for me to get clarification on these points.
Your help would be very much arreciated.
Kind regards,
Vince
Original post by Vince Spiller
My Grandson has just been awarded a 2:1 of which I am really pleased. However he has informed me that he missed out on a 1:1 by 0.3 of a mark, is that possible?
I am unsure if the the marks awarded are published for the student to see as I assumed these were averages or the whole course work. Can you tell if there is a final exam at the end of a degree course and if the results are actually published?
Kind regards,
Vince

It depends on the degree classification regulations of the particular university. Yes he should know his marks for individual modules.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vince Spiller
Kind regards,
Vince

Yes, since your grandson knows that he missed out by 0.3 of a mark, this suggests that he has received a breakdown of his marks. Usually, this breakdown will be provided as a formal report called a degree transcript, and it may well include the detailed marks for each piece of assessed work.

How modules are weighted and the precise borderlines between classes will vary between institutions, but it sounds as if your grandson may have averaged (say) 69.2%, when the lower boundary for a First might have been 70%. That was then rounded down to 69%. Had he got another 0.3%, his mark might have been rounded up to 70%.

The good thing is that if this is the case, his transcript should show this and it will be evident that he has achieved a "high 2:1".

Quick Reply

Latest