KKarr
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi guys, new on here 👋. Just wondering if anyone can help me out on good textbooks to buy to get some reading in over summer for 2nd year Ug Psychology? Especially anything for SPSS would be much appreciated! Thanks x
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by KKarr)
Hi guys, new on here 👋. Just wondering if anyone can help me out on good textbooks to buy to get some reading in over summer for 2nd year Ug Psychology? Especially anything for SPSS would be much appreciated! Thanks x
To be honest you shouldn't really be relying on textbooks as much as you get deeper into psychology, but rather on original (and recent) research articles (and review articles for getting an overview). Andy Field's SPSS book for beginners is pretty good.
jackbw6
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am also going into second year, and as I have had a break from study I've really been able to do alot of reading already, so I'll give you some suggestions based on what I've read and am going to read.

SPSS Survival Manual

- Good read for getting to grips with statistics, have only just started reading this but it seems to cover the basics of SPSS then go on to cover more complex statistical tests and how to implement them, and very importantly, when to use them (both parametric and non-parametric) and even has some good tips for formulating a research hypothesis, creating questionnaires etc

Designing and reporting experiments in Psychology

- This is a must read before writing any lab reports, which im assuming will form a significant part of your course, both in early experiments you undertake and your research project in year three. Gives detailed information on each part of the lab report you're going to have to write, what you need to include etc along with very helpful written examples of each section/subsection. Definitely will improve your writing dramatically!

BioPsychology by Pinel

A mandatory book for my course in year 2, but nonetheless covers all the neuroscience topics you could wish for, and more, Covers intra and extracellular neuronal activity (e.g axons, synapses, ion channels, resting membrane potential, Action potentials, Post-synaptic potentials) and a more general overview of the CNS and its associated parts, also covers the anatomical divisions of the brain, primary sensory and motor cortices and associated areas, pathways etc then applies this information to various topics varying from sleep and dreaming, to the visual and somatatosensory systems. Was an amazing read!

Understanding Children's development by Blades Cowie and Smith

Another mandatory textbook, this time for my Developmental Psychology module, but gives a great overview of all the developmental stages, Piagetian model, Kohlbergs theory of moral development, Physiological changes and their associated effects, even goes into some social aspects, such as the peer-group, bullying etc. a good read!

Learning to use Statistical Tests in Psychology

Another statistics related book that covers all statistical tests that will be used in your degree, very good for covering the formula that form the basis of each statistical test, also contains a very handy decision tree on the inside of the back cover which helps you choose the appropriate statistical test for your data, a must have!

An introduction to Neural Networks

May not be necessary if you're not taking any modules that cover synthetic neural networks, but still a fascinating read if it's in your area of interest, very math heavy (algorithms, sigmoids, vectors etc) in the earlier chapters, and the learning curve for the math heavy parts was a little steeper than i would like, but still a fascinating read and really piqued my interest in the area! Has a nice chapter covering the comparative merits of symbolic and signal computing ( e.g traditional, Von Neumann based computing and neural networks) and how both approaches are used in creating Artificial Intelligence which models various aspects of human cognitive function.

Hope this helps! These are all the books I have read/ am in the process of reading but I will write another post detailing the other books i am going to read before i go back if you find it helpful.
jackbw6
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Another thing I would do, If possible, is to get all information for the modules you'll be taking next year from your head of year 2, which may contain details about the core textbooks you'll be using. You can then start reading early (you won't know the specific readings you'll be assigned, but you can still read some of it or even all of it if you want!) If the information is not provided from the module information, then you can just e-mail your module organisers and ask them about any core text books, then go from there! They may even have suggested readings to broaden/strengthen your understanding of the topic.
eden3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I didn't use any textbooks in 2nd year and still got a 2:1... I just relied on lecture notes and using psych search engines to find articles, journals, etc....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (219)
74.74%
No (74)
25.26%

Watched Threads