The Student Room Group

Mature Student Vet Med Application Help

Hi I want to study veterinary medicine but don't have the relevant A levels and am looking to study Chemistry, Biology and a third subject independently. I'm struggling to find anywhere nearby (SW England) to do the practical part of the course. I understand with the new spec the practical isn't graded but is covered in the exam. Are there any mature vet med students out there? How did you get the relevant entry requirements? Any help greatly appreciated! I work full time so can't study an access course as only full time options available locally.
Original post by Duffdayafternoon
Hi I want to study veterinary medicine but don't have the relevant A levels and am looking to study Chemistry, Biology and a third subject independently. I'm struggling to find anywhere nearby (SW England) to do the practical part of the course. I understand with the new spec the practical isn't graded but is covered in the exam. Are there any mature vet med students out there? How did you get the relevant entry requirements? Any help greatly appreciated! I work full time so can't study an access course as only full time options available locally.

Hi, just to let you know that I've moved your thread into the Vet Med forum - you might want to check out some of the stickied threads at the top, there is a lot of information in there! This thread is particularly useful: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3508431

Have you approached any local schools about doing your exams with them as a private candidate? I believe all schools that accept private external students have to provide the option to do your non-examination assessment (practicals). Contact the relevant exam board to check, and they may also have lists of local exam centres.

Hi. I was in literally this exact position 1 year ago, except I only had to get Biology having got the grades in Chemistry and another A level at school.
I live in Bristol and did the practical endorsement, and the written exams, through an agency called 3ATutors limited. I chose them because they were close by but it turns out people came from all over the country because the price was the best and they had a good reputation (I don't work for them, they were just really good). Everything was organised well, practicals were held at the UWE campus in Frenchay, and there was more than enough support to make sure everyone passed. I taught myself AQA biology and the last exam of three is on Monday.
I got 4 offers out of 4 applications. PM me if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help. I know how steep the hill looks from your position.

I went through the same debate, too. I actually ended up looking at other options, and I wound up on a distance learning Access course rather than the A levels. Nottingham, Surrey & Bristol all said they would consider it for entry; two of those offered me a place on my first application, and I start my course (with a prelim year) at Notts in September.

My inbox is always open if you need a hand :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest