The Student Room Group

Student Finance for student repeating just one semester

Chances are I might have to repeat the second semester of my first year of the course. Now the question I have is, will I still get full student loan or will I only be funded for the second semester?

Reason I'm asking this is because if I don't get full loan chances are I might have to change course instead because of not being able to fund as much as I need.
Reply 1
Original post by Daiben
Chances are I might have to repeat the second semester of my first year of the course. Now the question I have is, will I still get full student loan or will I only be funded for the second semester?

Reason I'm asking this is because if I don't get full loan chances are I might have to change course instead because of not being able to fund as much as I need.

If your uni classes you as part-time, then you will only get a Tuition Fee Loan and no Maintenance Loan. There are circumstances in which they would consider you full-time, in which case you would get both the Tuition Fee Loan and no Maintenance Loan. You need to ask your uni how they will report you to SF for a repeat term.
If your doing exactly the same full time course and repeating some modules part time it's classed as being a part time student on a full time course and you are granted the full funding, most students don't need to repeat a full year just a term or two (Which is the case for you as you only need to repeat term 2) so you would get your funding just to cover that term not the full year
Original post by Daiben

Hi Daiben.

Your loan is pro rated if you don't study for a whole academic year. You are paid only for the dates you are registered as a full time student, proportional to the entire year. Roughly, if you study half you get half, etc.

If you only study one semester, you won't get the full Maintenance Loan. The more time you spend as a registered Full Time student, the more Maintenance Loan you will be paid. Were you to study for the whole year, you'd be paid the whole loan.

Thanks!
Reply 4
Honestly I was told that I would get normal full maintenance loan even if I was only repeating one unit that I failed? I already have a year contract with my house and I won’t be able to pay that off if I don’t get the full maintenance support? Obviously I will find a job but I’m just asking in general because I’ve been reading that they give one gift year where I can get full maintenance loan and they pay the tuition fee needed for my unit that I failed? Am I wrong and have high hopes or? :,(
Reply 5
Original post by Namuu
Honestly I was told that I would get normal full maintenance loan even if I was only repeating one unit that I failed? I already have a year contract with my house and I won’t be able to pay that off if I don’t get the full maintenance support? Obviously I will find a job but I’m just asking in general because I’ve been reading that they give one gift year where I can get full maintenance loan and they pay the tuition fee needed for my unit that I failed? Am I wrong and have high hopes or? :,(

I am in the exact same position right now. Did you get your full maintenance loan for repeating one module ?
Yh please give us an update
Yh please give an update

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending