Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

International Baccalaureate Results Day 5th July 2017 Chat Thread Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    12 pm gmt so 5 am pst

posted from tsr mobile
    thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    8 more hours...... just kill me already i know i did really badly esp looking at all the people who've posted bio marks on reddit
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

(Original post by tchaikovskyed)
    8 more hours...... just kill me already i know i did really badly esp looking at all the people who've posted bio marks on reddit
    I am avoiding Reddit on purpose :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I missed UCL's offer by 1 point in my HL. Its a 38 instead of 39. I honestly didn't think I would get a 5 in English lit SL, because I got a 7 in one paper the mocks before. Can anyone advise me what to do? Whether I should go for a remark or just hope that UCL takes me in with a lower grade? Does anyone have any experience with a remark or getting in with a lower grade at UCL? The pain is excruciating, UCL is my dream.
    Thank you so much TSR for this amazing thread... you don't know how it's really helping us. @wolfmoon88 @dreamlinerfinder
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by yashvini)
    I missed UCL's offer by 1 point in my HL. Its a 38 instead of 39. I honestly didn't think I would get a 5 in English lit SL, because I got a 7 in one paper the mocks before. Can anyone advise me what to do? Whether I should go for a remark or just hope that UCL takes me in with a lower grade? Does anyone have any experience with a remark or getting in with a lower grade at UCL?
    Thank you so much TSR for this amazing thread... you don't know how it's really helping us.
    You can try asking for a remark (ask your IB coordinator). Alternatively, if English Lit has nothing to do with the course you are going to study- then there's a chance they'll let you in but you have to call them to make your case.

If you are an international student (I know one British student who got asked this as well by Imperial) you might be asked to submit an IELTs score if you no longer meet the English Language requirements.

There is a chance you might still get accepted but you need to think carefully about what you say to admissions and be patient with them if they are snappy because they are busy too.

I hope this helps and my condolences to you for missing your offer by one point :console:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I missed UCL's offer by 1 point in my HL. Its a 38 instead of 39. I honestly didn't think I would get a 5 in English lit SL, because I got a 7 in one paper the mocks before. Can anyone advise me what to do? Whether I should go for a remark or just hope that UCL takes me in with a lower grade? Does anyone have any experience with a remark or getting in with a lower grade at UCL? The pain is excruciating, UCL is my dream.
    Thank you so much TSR for this amazing thread... you don't know how it's really helping us. @wolfmoon88 @dreamlinerfinder
    Ring UCL up this morning to check they've received your results and ask when they expect to have made a decision.

Only one point away from your offer means you're going to be at the top of the list of applicants who missed their offers.

UCL will only reject you if
    A) they genuinely think that you won't succeed on the course with that lower grade or
    B) they have more accepted applicants than expected and need to reject everyone who missed their offer because they physically can't accept more students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    You can try asking for a remark (ask your IB coordinator). Alternatively, if English Lit has nothing to do with the course you are going to study- then there's a chance they'll let you in but you have to call them to make your case.

If you are an international student (I know one British student who got asked this as well by Imperial) you might be asked to submit an IELTs score if you no longer meet the English Language requirements.

There is a chance you might still get accepted but you need to think carefully about what you say to admissions and be patient with them if they are snappy because they are busy too.

I hope this helps and my condolences to you for missing your offer by one point :console:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you so much for your help!! I will definitely call them and send in my IELTS scores. Thanks once again.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Thank you so much for your help!! I will definitely call them and send in my IELTS scores. Thanks once again.
    No problem check out PQs response above as well since she's very knowledgeable :yep: more so than I am.

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good luck IB people!

ReputationRep:
    four more hours

update: i still feel like dying, surprise surprise

ReputationRep:
    Why is every minute passing so slowly, arrhhhh
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lasjmcbr)
    I simply had to intervene - Reizzy is simply wrong.

When you remark, the grade change (if any) will be reflected in your final grade. That is to say if it goes up, it will stay up. And if it goes down, it will stay down. There is no discretion given to the student. The remark will completely replace the original grades, regardless of whether you want it to or not.

Following the remark, any change in grade will immediately be applied on IBIS and you can view it there too.

All the best for your results!
    (Original post by Reizzy)
    I actually asked my coordinator. She said the original grade can be reinstated if the remark is lower than the original.
    lasjmcbr is correct - the final mark, whether higher or lower, is taken. You should be cautious in requesting re-marks as you can very well go down, and depending on what is being re-marked, they may re-mark your entire classes work for that thing - this happened to the cohort before me, where someone wanted one of their English Lit CW's re-marked. They had to re-mark the cohort, and many ended up having their marks going down - one girl dropped from a 6 HL English to a 5, and lost her offer for Cambridge Medicine as a result (she's now doing GEM at QMUL I think, after NatSci at Durham so, she landed on her feet but...)

You should always speak to your coordinator about re-marks, as they will be the ones requesting them, but you should also discuss it with the subject teacher. In general, I would not recommend requesting a re-mark because you are "nearly" at the threshold for the higher mark; most of the time you won't end up surpassing that, as they will either find the original mark correct, or actually give you a lower mark. The latter can have, as described above, adverse effects on your application (also potentially others).

Unless your coordinator can point to the section in the Big Book of IB where this "choose your mark" thing is, which I suspect they can't as it isn't there, then again, I would urge caution before undertaking this process. (This isn't to say your coordinator is willfully misleading you or anything, there are a lot of very precise rules in the IB and a lot of it is passed off to the coordinators instead of an overarching examining body as in A-level courses; however I am certain they are wrong in this circumstance like lasjmcbr said).

ReputationRep:
    We got our results yesterday at 5pm from school after our IB Coordinator processed them! 43 points for me - dropped marks in HL Maths (just three marks off the 7!) and SL Physics (just one mark away from getting a 5 XD ). Was most shocked by a 7 in SL French (because I literally don't know French) and most pleased with 7 in HL Philosophy. Off to Oxford now! Good luck to everyone still waiting for your results! Unless you intend to use your results to make the world a worse place; in which case, not good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone knows the World average Abd Asia Pacific average

ReputationRep:
    What is the world average and Asia Pacific average of May 2017 exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Ring UCL up this morning to check they've received your results and ask when they expect to have made a decision.

Only one point away from your offer means you're going to be at the top of the list of applicants who missed their offers.

UCL will only reject you if
    A) they genuinely think that you won't succeed on the course with that lower grade or
    B) they have more accepted applicants than expected and need to reject everyone who missed their offer because they physically can't accept more students.
    Thank you so much for the advice... I am currently drafting a letter to send in to UCL with my IELTS scores, and the option for a remark. I will call them up around the same time I send the mail. Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    IF you're considering resitting then it's not worth contacting universities about that right now when you're just getting your IB results - it will confuse things to be asking about 2018 entry at the same time as 2017 entry.
    cool cool thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RadicalRavenclaw)
    We got our results yesterday at 5pm from school after our IB Coordinator processed them! 43 points for me - dropped marks in HL Maths (just three marks off the 7!) and SL Physics (just one mark away from getting a 5 XD ). Was most shocked by a 7 in SL French (because I literally don't know French) and most pleased with 7 in HL Philosophy. Off to Oxford now! Good luck to everyone still waiting for your results! Unless you intend to use your results to make the world a worse place; in which case, not good luck!

YAY CONGRATULATIONS!!!

we did the same.. we were given white envelopes... dreaded white envelopes

ReputationRep:
    Havent gotten any results yet, but just to prepare for the bad case of not meeting uni offers, what do you say if you end up having to call admissions What do they tend to do after you tell them the typical "Hi I've applied to (course name) and im calling to discuss my offer bc I failed to meet it." ??Do you explain to them why you think you tripped up? AHHhhHHh

LIKE DOES ANYONE ELSE FEEL MY AWKWARD?!?

All i can think of is begging but that's exactly what you're NOT suppose to do.
    I don't even wanna deal with life rn.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kqsruno)
    Havent gotten any results yet, but just to prepare for the bad case of not meeting uni offers, what do you say if you end up having to call admissions What do they tend to do after you tell them the typical "Hi I've applied to (course name) and im calling to discuss my offer bc I failed to meet it." ??Do you explain to them why you think you tripped up? AHHhhHHh

LIKE DOES ANYONE ELSE FEEL MY AWKWARD?!?

All i can think of is begging but that's exactly what you're NOT suppose to do.
    I don't even wanna deal with life rn.
    You're not calling to convince them - they'll have a policy to follow based on all sorts of things for making a decision and even if they didn't then the people answering the phones aren't going to be the people who are in a position to make a decision.

You're calling to ask
    a) if they've received your results (not all IB results get sent to UCAS - if yours didn't arrive that way you can find out how to send your results through directly)
    and
    b) when they'll make a decision about your application (ie will it be over the next few days or are they going to make you wait until A level results)

That's it.

If there's any alternative courses with slightly lower entry requirements that you'd like to be considered for if they can't accept you on your firm course then let them know that too.

If they're going to make you wait until A level results then feel free to approach other universities that you like the look of who have spaces in clearing - they might be willing to speak to you and consider you and if they're willing to offer you a place then you can force the hand of your firm choice by saying you've got offers elsewhere to take up and want them to make a decision by *whatever deadline you like*.

Poll
How are you feeling about your GCSE results?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.