AGEING POPULATION we've got to die of something!

Watch
username3418668
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Improvements in medicine and healthcare means life expectancy is increasing.

Japan has an ageing population
and sells more adult diapers than baby diapers.

An ageing population brings about many issues,

I heard people born now will live to be 100!

What is the ideal age to live to?
Do you fear a future in which so many diseases are cured that everyone lives until their 100+?
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by trendingNOW)

Do you fear a future in which so many diseases are cured that everyone lives until their 100+?
I think actually we are now reducing our life expectancy. Obesity coupled with diabetes is ravaging the middle-aged. I have noticed cancers increasing bowel especially probably due to the fast food and processed diet we eat. We are taking more and more pills most of which are useless
username3418668
Rep:
Personally, I think around 70 to 80 is the ideal age to live,
In the words of Steve Jobs 'death is nature's greatest invention, to make way for the new'
username3418668
Rep:
That's true!
I heard 1 in 3 adult American are obese,
but those things will be solved in the future do you fear the effects of an ageing population?
Wolfram Alpha
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I disagree with your point about there being an 'ideal age' to live to. It is the quality of lfe that matters and not the length. You could live a good life until 40, be diagnosed with a life-changing illness soon after, and then live your life in sufferring. Also, regarding your original post, fear not - the higher powers are doing many things to reduce the population.
username3418668
Rep:
Do you mean conspiracy theory-like things?
GUMI
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Personally, I think around 70 to 80 is the ideal age to live,
In the words of Steve Jobs 'death is nature's greatest invention, to make way for the new'
I think 25 is the ideal age to live. Damn I miss the 1700s
Wolfram Alpha
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Do you mean conspiracy theory-like things?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDiEANGgVlY
23 and Grey
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I hope we'll be able to slow the aging process and allow people to work for longer and enjoy better health rather than keeping people alive who have no quality of life.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

Personally i intend to never die. If i could live to 100, have myself frozen and then transferred to a clone body of myself aged 20 (repeat Ad infitum) then i would be quite happy.

I don't really worry too much about the population consequences in the UK. Even if we kept the population increase and nobody died in the UK, the population would only be growing at 2% per year which is still less than the increase in global food production.

The concerns would be if this technology was available in high birth rate nations or those without cultural values that lend themselves to prosperity. It would make their problem even worse (food production only rises about 3% per year).

(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
I think actually we are now reducing our life expectancy. Obesity coupled with diabetes is ravaging the middle-aged. I have noticed cancers increasing bowel especially probably due to the fast food and processed diet we eat. We are taking more and more pills most of which are useless
The number of people dying of these things is decreasing as a proportion of the population due to better healthcare so the average is increasing.

I do however think that we will see a much more divided future in terms of health though (as somewhat seen in todays young) whereby we have a large group who religiously exercise and eat healthily while another large group become slobs. The average joe so to speak will become a minority.

To both of you i would say that its worth considering future developments. Now that we have the ability to map the genome and genetic engineering is on the horizon i think it's probable that some nations will move towards designer babies. The long term impact of this being that we breed a superior species albeit with the potential of a new age of eugenics.
JMR2021_
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
This is some weird thinking. In my opinion, the older you live, the better...
username3418668
Rep:
I do agree, I want to live a long time, but if 70+ I'm so weak I can't leave my home, than how great can life really be?
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I do agree, I want to live a long time, but if 70+ I'm so weak I can't leave my home, than how great can life really be?
It's such a variant though, as to what age this happens to people; some are too frail to leave the house despite being a fair bit younger than 70, whilst others manage to live an active and happy life for years after that!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (79)
13.57%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (11)
1.89%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (147)
25.26%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (47)
8.08%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (280)
48.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.09%

Watched Threads