tamanna___
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
How can I memorise the mechanisms and things like the synthesis steps, in organic chemistry ?!

Also I struggle sooooo much on organic chemistry! How can I become better at it?!

Please reccomend me some good revision sources! I do AQA AS chemistry

Anything will help thanks
Ruzina123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Make a mindmap. That's the best way to learn organic, and as for the mechanisms what I do is I draw the orignial reactant and leave some space and draw then final product and then see how it can get there with the reagent used. You're going to have to do lots of questions to get better at organic but mostly it's a visual concept and knowing how things look is the way to go. Good luck!
Wolfram Alpha
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The key to organic chemistry is having an understanding of what is occurring. It is incredibly difficult to just 'memorise' the mechanism. Watch some youtube videos and undertsand WHY the lone pair is going from one atom to the other, WHY a certain bond is being broken. Once it clicks together you'll be able to draw mechansms without a seconds thought.
tamanna___
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wolfram Alpha)
The key to organic chemistry is having an understanding of what is occurring. It is incredibly difficult to just 'memorise' the mechanism. Watch some youtube videos and undertsand WHY the lone pair is going from one atom to the other, WHY a certain bond is being broken. Once it clicks together you'll be able to draw mechansms without a seconds thought.
I agree, my problem is that I don't understand why things happen and when I ask my teachers they can't give me an answer they just say "this is just how it is"
Do you have any YouTube videos you reccomend ?
I already use snaprevise and watch E rintoul, if you have any others please tell
tamanna___
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ruzina123)
Make a mindmap. That's the best way to learn organic, and as for the mechanisms what I do is I draw the orignial reactant and leave some space and draw then final product and then see how it can get there with the reagent used. You're going to have to do lots of questions to get better at organic but mostly it's a visual concept and knowing how things look is the way to go. Good luck!

Mindmaps hurt my brain, can't learn anything with mindmaps but I'll try the mechanisms method !! Thanks
BrumSoulja
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Isn't AS chemistry finished??
tamanna___
Rep:
?
(Original post by BrumSoulja)
Isn't AS chemistry finished??
We didn't sit the real AS exams, we're doing mocks but they're just as important and being treated the same as real exams.. first chemistry one is today
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (174)
66.92%
No (86)
33.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed