The Student Room Group

i have 11 months left to finish the IGCSE syllabus? am i too late?

i was supposed to take the igcse this year but i changed school and my new school is kinda like homeschooling so i have to teach myself and i feel like my progress is too slow, way slower than my friends who took the igcse or are taking the igcse too next may 2018 in a diff school.

i wanna know if im too slow or this progress is considered average and that i can still make it. im taking Mathematics, Additional Mathematics, Physics, Biology, Chemistry and English.

chemistry: 5/14 of the syllabus
biology: 7/21 of the syllabus
physics: 1/5 of the syllabus (general physics had a lot omg)

im planning on doing 2 chapters a month or more but pls can u give me some advice. and for my friends who are taking igcse next year but in a diff school, theyre like 2-3 chapters ahead of me. i need to know if i can finish all this before may 2018 and still have time to do past year papers. im so stressed rn, i keep vomiting and i cant sleep. thank u !!
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by imvegan
i was supposed to take the igcse this year but i changed school and my new school is kinda like homeschooling so i have to teach myself and i feel like my progress is too slow, way slower than my friends who took the igcse or are taking the igcse too next may 2018 in a diff school.

i wanna know if im too slow or this progress is considered average and that i can still make it. im taking Mathematics, Additional Mathematics, Physics, Biology, Chemistry and English.

im planning on doing 2 chapters a month or more but pls can u give me some advice. and for my friends who are taking igcse next year but in a diff school, theyre like 2-3 chapters ahead of me. i need to know if i can finish all this before may 2018 and still have time to do past year papers. im so stressed rn, i keep vomiting and i cant sleep. thank u !!

Your in year 10 I imagine?
You will definitely have time! Relaxxxxx!! Trust me, I just got through with year 11. I would say, if your really stressed out try do some stuff during summer. But revision in summer doesnt actually stay in your brain but I would say you could start learning some of the syllabus.

Or you could just focus summer on like the three sciences? Because theyre very content heavy

You'll have time tho, what board are you doing? and if you need anything else HIT ME UPPPP
Best thing to do over summer is rest. But if you want to do work than organising all your folders, creating a timetable will be good, going through the specifications of each subject to highlight what you don't know.

So when it comes to school time you are ready to start straight away 😊

You have enough time don't worry.

If you are getting really stressed about exams, could I recommend talking to someone? Or getting help. You should never feel like vomiting or be losing sleep over exam stress.

Take care of yourself now and believe in yourself :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by dx31
Your in year 10 I imagine?
You will definitely have time! Relaxxxxx!! Trust me, I just got through with year 11. I would say, if your really stressed out try do some stuff during summer. But revision in summer doesnt actually stay in your brain but I would say you could start learning some of the syllabus.

Or you could just focus summer on like the three sciences? Because theyre very content heavy

You'll have time tho, what board are you doing? and if you need anything else HIT ME UPPPP

yes im gonna pm you!! thank uuuu!! my friends took 2 years and a half to finish the syllabus but i only got 1 year and a half. how long does it usually take there to finish the whole IGCSE syllabus??
Reply 4
Original post by imvegan
yes im gonna pm you!! thank uuuu!! my friends took 2 years and a half to finish the syllabus but i only got 1 year and a half. how long does it usually take there to finish the whole IGCSE syllabus??

Tbh, you probably think it takes the whole 2 years but it really doesnt. When your in year 11 (especially in the 3 weeks after easter), You can legit finish the syllabus for one subject in like 2 days, but obviously it depends on the subject.

But I understand you wanna like learn it slowly and stuff but it depends how you learn,

Are you the sorta person to like just do one subject and then move on to the next or do you wanna do like part of every subject etc
Reply 5
Original post by physicsamor
Best thing to do over summer is rest. But if you want to do work than organising all your folders, creating a timetable will be good, going through the specifications of each subject to highlight what you don't know.

So when it comes to school time you are ready to start straight away 😊

You have enough time don't worry.

If you are getting really stressed about exams, could I recommend talking to someone? Or getting help. You should never feel like vomiting or be losing sleep over exam stress.

Take care of yourself now and believe in yourself :smile:

idk about the summer ure talking about coz i think we live in a diff country and we only have the whole december off. and thank u! im gonna do that.

im just really stressed coz i was supposed to graduate this year already with my friends but i ended up staying behind haha but i tell myself its ok coz im only 16 and im 17 next year and here, 17 is the age to take it. i just dont want to disappoint my parents, IGCSE is expensive here !!
Reply 6
Original post by dx31
Tbh, you probably think it takes the whole 2 years but it really doesnt. When your in year 11 (especially in the 3 weeks after easter), You can legit finish the syllabus for one subject in like 2 days, but obviously it depends on the subject.

But I understand you wanna like learn it slowly and stuff but it depends how you learn,

Are you the sorta person to like just do one subject and then move on to the next or do you wanna do like part of every subject etc

the whole syllabus in 2 days? is that possible? coz like a whole syllabus has many chapters inside it?

i used to do one subject a day but i dont think that worked so im gonna start doing 3 in 1 day
Reply 7
Original post by imvegan
the whole syllabus in 2 days? is that possible? coz like a whole syllabus has many chapters inside it?

i used to do one subject a day but i dont think that worked so im gonna start doing 3 in 1 day

Yeah as in people had revised the subject before then but like just before exams people were able to do that.

Okay!! Do that then, I think if you try get as much of sciences the 3 sciences done then you'll feel very relieved!
Reply 8
Original post by dx31
Yeah as in people had revised the subject before then but like just before exams people were able to do that.

Okay!! Do that then, I think if you try get as much of sciences the 3 sciences done then you'll feel very relieved!

are u talking about revision for it? coz i havent even learned them yet and it takes so much time coz theres so many chapters
You have more than enough time. Concentrate on your weaker subjects so that when the time is near; you feel confident with your weak subjects than your stronger ones.
Original post by imvegan

you have more than enough time :smile:

My school didn't have a proper GCSE history, business, or chemistry teacher for a whole year and I ended up having to teach myself those subjects. You can learn each subject in a day or two - I learn all of history, business, and chem specification over the Easter holidays.
Reply 11
Original post by TheAlchemistress
You have more than enough time. Concentrate on your weaker subjects so that when the time is near; you feel confident with your weak subjects than your stronger ones.

i do? thank god. coz most of my friends who took the exam this may didnt have time to finish the syllabus even tho they had like 2 and a half years to do it.

yes i made a mistake in that. my add maths is slower than the others coz i hate it and now im way behind.

btw u took cambridge igsce too?
Reply 12
Original post by Carmen.xx
you have more than enough time :smile:

My school didn't have a proper GCSE history, business, or chemistry teacher for a whole year and I ended up having to teach myself those subjects. You can learn each subject in a day or two - I learn all of history, business, and chem specification over the Easter holidays.

like just from reading the textbook?? coz sometimes i cant understand the chapter and its really hard for me haha
Original post by imvegan
like just from reading the textbook?? coz sometimes i cant understand the chapter and its really hard for me haha

For chem I used the cgp guide, I would read a page and try to understand it and then write out all I could remember and then add what I missed. The gcse science spec isn't too in depth so this worked really well. It took 12ish hours for me to properly learn the whole thing, I split it up into 2 days with 6 hours of work each.

For history, I watched youtube videos on the topics and wrote notes as i watched and then just re watched the videos a few times before my exams.

For business, I mostly just read the textbook and took down notes of the key words. It was mostly common sense and only took like 3 hours max for the whole course.

With sciences it's more about memorization but for subjects like business it's a lot more about understanding.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by imvegan

You definitely have time. There are many resources out there for the IGCSE sciences. They really help people who are self-studying.. Try to print out the spec and use the CGP revision guides(they are soo helpful) ! If you need any help feel free to ask. Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by Carmen.xx
For chem I used the cgp guide, I would read a page and try to understand it and then write out all I could remember and then add what I missed. The gcse science spec isn't too in depth so this worked really well. It took 12ish hours for me to properly learn the whole thing, I split it up into 2 days with 6 hours of work each.

For history, I watched youtube videos on the topics and wrote notes as i watched and then just re watched the videos a few times before my exams.

For business, I mostly just read the textbook and took down notes of the key words. It was mostly common sense and only took like 3 hours max for the whole course.

With sciences it's more about memorization but for subjects like business it's a lot more about understanding.

12 hours to finish the whole syllabus for chemistry?? :redface:
Original post by imvegan
12 hours to finish the whole syllabus for chemistry?? :redface:

Yeah, that's how long it took for me to learn all of C1,C2, and C3 well enough to answer any past paper questions.

It really depends on how you pick up information and how much you already know. In chemistry I had a really bad teacher in year 10 and then just supply teachers in year 11 so when it came to teaching myself the whole course, I literally only knew a bit of C1 and whatever I had attempted to learn throughout the year myself (which wasn't a lot :colondollar:)
Original post by imvegan

I took pretty much the same subjects as you (just finished) - Chemistry, Biology, Physics (and History) CIE igcse and GCSE English lit. I don't know how I did (OK on most, bad on English I think) but it didn't take me long to revise for them. I'm actually home educated but I did have tutors in the last month so pretty much the same as yours. Anyway, I read through (took about 2, 3 months but only because I did it slowly) the textbooks and then took a big gap (over a year) as thought I wouldn't take them. Then decided to take them in Jan and revised and had exams in May. So 11 months (particularly if you are at school) is definitely enough time as long as you revise.
Original post by imvegan
i do? thank god. coz most of my friends who took the exam this may didnt have time to finish the syllabus even tho they had like 2 and a half years to do it.

yes i made a mistake in that. my add maths is slower than the others coz i hate it and now im way behind.

btw u took cambridge igsce too?

No, just GCSEs.
Reply 19
I am with Edexcel and will take the first cohort of 9-1 exams. I am taking 6 subjects with only 8 months to learn the whole syllabus. So you are not the worst case!
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest