The Student Room Group

What you wish you knew BEFORE a levels

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by CBMFM99
Yeah. Look over the topics over the summer. Also just learn everything yourself. If I realised anything it's that you can't rely on the teacher. Honestly there's so many videos and tutorials online. Use revision guides and textbooks as well. Don't listen to people when they slate the revision guides as well because if practically covers everything you need to know. Finally past papers are so important. If I were you I'd just learn everything and take a few notes, then do loads and loads of past papers. I got to the point where I didn't need to look at my notes any longer and just did past papers. Btw I'm predicated AAB for my subjects :smile:

Thank you so much! And well done, hope you get that :smile:
For further maths AS, what board did you do? Cause Im planning on doing it for AS but Idk whether I'll be able to cope with it?
Reply 21
Original post by Assmaster2
There are no good physics teachers

Hahaha I CAN RELATE
Reply 22
Original post by Joeyzanelli
this is plain incorrect. teachers use your first year to determine your predicted grades which is a core element in being accepted into uni.

op do not listen to this guy unless you are not going to uni.

pick up some extra curriculars and start trting to figure out your career path as many work placements for summer next year close around jan

Thank you!
Reply 23
Original post by HopelessMedic
Make revision notes as you go along, understand every topic/concept before moving on, begin revision for both years at Christmas and make sure you start past papers by March.

That's really good advice, thank you :smile:

And also what kinda notes are better to make?

Summarised ones or like very very in depth and detailed ones that are similar to a textbook?
Reply 24
Original post by Science22
Thinking of doing this as well as physics however my school doesn't offer further maths. do you think its possible to teach yourself the as units?

NO DON'T ATTEMPT IT, unless you really need it for university. At the start of the year I was also taking chem, bio, maths (to do in year 12) and further maths (for year 13). As maths is the only non-linear A level I was able to spend the whole year focusing on it. But even without having to stress over an other real exams, it was so time consuming. I'm not doing further maths next year as it would be way too much work with 2 other a levels. I'd much rather get A* A* A* than try to do further maths as well, which would probably get me A*, A, B, C
Original post by dx31
That's really good advice, thank you :smile:

And also what kinda notes are better to make?

Summarised ones or like very very in depth and detailed ones that are similar to a textbook?

I would say make two sets of notes ideally.
The first set should be made from a textbook/using class resources and should be very in depth, basically covering everything you need to know.
The second set should be more concise and i would use a revision guide (CGP is the best imo) for those, you'll mainly be revising from these.
The important thing is to use your specification when making notes so that you only learn what's on your spec (e.g specific examples) as lots of textbooks have excess info which simply is not required.
Wish I knew the answers to the papers I did.

Seriously, I wish I knew C1 and C2 was going to be ABSOLUTE ********. was aexpecting atleast an A, i wanted to get full marks, but I think i got a B. questions which came up this year have never come up in previous years.

feelsbad
Original post by Science22
Thinking of doing this as well as physics however my school doesn't offer further maths. do you think its possible to teach yourself the as units?

Omg I'm in the exact same position as you! School isn't offering AS FM so I'm probably going to teach myself CP1, FP1 and FP2/FM1/FS1 (or I'll drop English and do full further maths in school I haven't decided). Are you doing Edexcel?
Reply 28
is there any way i could try to prepare myself for economics in the summer?
Original post by Sonechka
Omg I'm in the exact same position as you! School isn't offering AS FM so I'm probably going to teach myself CP1, FP1 and FP2/FM1/FS1 (or I'll drop English and do full further maths in school I haven't decided). Are you doing Edexcel?

No ccea in Northern Ireland. Does anyone know how much of a jump is there in terms of workload between C3 And C4 to FP1 and FP2 or is there a better combination of units avoiding FP2
Reply 30
Original post by CBMFM99
Yeah definitely if you're capable enough. If you're relying on the teacher to teach toy everything then you're not gonna be getting AAA or ABB

Do you know of any good resources for Bio & Chem?
Original post by dx31
Thank you so much! And well done, hope you get that :smile:
For further maths AS, what board did you do? Cause Im planning on doing it for AS but Idk whether I'll be able to cope with it?

Okay well honestly I did struggle with further maths. Just make sure you can handle the math. Look at the content now, but look at online video lessons, otherwise anything else will put you off
Original post by dx31
I'm legit planning on doing the same!! I know they're all really content heavy tho, any tips:afro:, or like anything I could do to prepare for it?

sameeeee
Reply 33
Original post by marniedavies03
sameeeee

Haha, cool :smile:
I wish I researched PE more - it was my 4th subject and I chose it because it linked with biology and I thought it would be easy. Turned out to be the hardest A level I did (all my others where hard, "traditional" academic too)
Also wish I decided between biomed or law at uni before I chose my a levels. The science/art mix was brutal
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by Assmaster2
There are no good physics teachers

Speak for yourself...

Quick Reply

Latest