Becoming a PE Teacher... Watch

ben_hindley96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi guys,

if anyones still on this forum, im thinking of becoming a secondary school pe teacher. i am 18 and in the royal marines but doing it as something for a short part of my life and as a stepping stone, i want to be a secondary school pe teacher, i have gcse's in a-c , but didnt go college, what would i need, what courses do i take and if known how long would it take. also could i do courses when i want or would i have to quit the marines?
Mr M
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ben_hindley96)
Hi guys,

if anyones still on this forum, im thinking of becoming a secondary school pe teacher. i am 18 and in the royal marines but doing it as something for a short part of my life and as a stepping stone, i want to be a secondary school pe teacher, i have gcse's in a-c , but didnt go college, what would i need, what courses do i take and if known how long would it take. also could i do courses when i want or would i have to quit the marines?
http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into...ps-to-teachers
TenaciousLee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi I want to go onto teaching PE, I have a level 2 sports leaders award, led sporting activities at a summer camp and assisted in PE lessons for a year. I am currently doing a foundation degree in Business and Managment at college and I am thinking of doing a level 3 sports diploma at the same time and then topping up my foundation degree to a degree in Sports Managment. Would this path enable me to become a pe teacher? And does a sports managment course have enough sports to be successful in a pe pgce?
jameslad
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TenaciousLee)
Hi I want to go onto teaching PE, I have a level 2 sports leaders award, led sporting activities at a summer camp and assisted in PE lessons for a year. I am currently doing a foundation degree in Business and Managment at college and I am thinking of doing a level 3 sports diploma at the same time and then topping up my foundation degree to a degree in Sports Managment. Would this path enable me to become a pe teacher? And does a sports managment course have enough sports to be successful in a pe pgce?
You need a full degree with at least 50% sport related content.

Also, you should make another thread as this one was made 7 years ago...

nostalgia...
TenaciousLee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jameslad)
You need a full degree with at least 50% sport related content.

Also, you should make another thread as this one was made 7 years ago...

nostalgia...
okay so would sport managment have 50% sport content then? Here it does say it need to be in pure sports http://www.edgehill.ac.uk/study/cour...ical-education
peboy17
Report 3 years ago
There are three institutions in Scotland offering Physical Educations as a career. Edinburgh and Stirling are full time four year courses, general applicants need ABBB as minimum grades with Higher english a requirement alongside Intermediate two or equivalent maths. The process is rigorous with a practical, individual and group interview. Candidates have to prove their ability across a range of sports and answer questions about current problems and trends in Physical Education. Strathclyde is the only University offering a post-grad over 1 year and your degree needs to be appropriate and on their approved list. There are a number of excellent institutions in England but only some whose courses are ratified by GTC scotland meaning most would need to do a PGCE anyway.
evaroberts
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,
You need to complete a degree in Health and Physical Education at college or university. It takes up to 4 years and also you may have to take classes for Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology, Health and Wellness classes, activity courses like golf, aerobics, basketball, tennis, racquetball, and other team and/or individual sports, a number of Teaching PE/Health Methods Classes, and Student teaching or internships.
You can find many colleges in UK for this type of courses.
Kelly357
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
`hey does anyone go/going to Bedfordshire University to study Physical education?
Milly C W
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm going to Bedford in September to start PE PGCE.
Kelly357
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think I've decided to do the 3 year course 'sport and physical education' and then maybe do the 1 year To gain my teaching qualification..
shannon-ruthx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
hi im struggling to decide where to go once I have finished my gcses I desperately want to be a pe teacher but I don't really want to sit my alevels what college courses could I take that would still allow me to go to uni and be a pe teacher ? or would it be easier to just stay and do my a levels ?
helpppppp
Pierson
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by shannon-ruthx)
hi im struggling to decide where to go once I have finished my gcses I desperately want to be a pe teacher but I don't really want to sit my alevels what college courses could I take that would still allow me to go to uni and be a pe teacher ? or would it be easier to just stay and do my a levels ?
helpppppp
A lot of universities would probably accept a Sports-related BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma - check the entry requirements on the websites of universities you would consider applying to for information on what qualifications they accept - but you could be limiting your career options by not taking a range of subjects like you would via the A Level route. I think it's always best to take routes that keep your options open for the future - you may find yourself wanting a career change in 20 years time. Why do you want to avoid the A Level route?
Sportycb
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lovelee-jublee)
Hi,

I am in my second year at Uni on a BA Physical Education course for Secondary pupils, with QTS. I'm at the University of Bedfirdshire and absolutely love it. My course is a 4 year course with at least 6 weeks placement each year in a school teaching, and also giving me Qualified Teaching Status enabling me to go out and teach as soon as I graduate.

There are 2 main routes into PE tecahing;

1. Do a 3 year 'general' sports course, and then do a PGCE after

or

2. Do a 4 year 'teaching' course like mine

Think carefully about which route to take, as both have their upsides and downsides.
If you take the 3 year course followed by PGCE, you will get very little, if any, teaching experience in the first 3 years - it will more likely be crammed into your PGCE year which could prove to be hard work and if you decide after this that you actually don't enjoy teaching, it could seem as if you've wasted 3 years hard work!
On the other hand, the 4 year course (I'll refer to my course, but I know a lot of others are similar) provides at least 6 weeks teaching every year - our first placement was after Christmas in our first year, so if we found we didn't take to teaching, we could change courses in good time. In addition, you learn a lot of specific things related to teaching PE, ie. Teaching styles, in-depth subject knowledge etc.

A few Uni's which offer the 4-year QTS course are;

Bedfordshire
Brunel
Brighton
Leeds Met (although this is condensed into 3 years)
St. Martin's College (Lancaster University)

A wider variety of Universities offer 3 year sport courses and PGCE courses.

Hope this gives you an insight; feel free to contact me if you need any more help!

:rolleyes:
Doesn't Chichester still offer the course?

[I did the same course as you though also at the University of Bedfordshire - 2008 to 2012]
TraceyE
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
We are looking at UEA is ranked third in guardian tables has a £55million sports park. Is a three year course then you can do another year teacher training there. Has lots of different modules to chooses form so you can really tailor course to your needs. Good luck
charlouking
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by shannon-ruthx)
helpppppp
Hi,

Just some advice to beware of.. When I applied for University I checked and all my courses against what the Uni wanted. They stated that they wanted certain grades at A-level or Equivalent.

However when I applied, two Universities stated that the would not accept my Sports Qualification as it was a BTEC. When I questioned them about the fact they had said they accepted BTEC's, they told me they accept BTEC's in main subjects, but did not accept a Sport BTEC.

This left me a bit annoyed, luckily my other choice that I really wanted accepted me. It was just annoying that these two (that were slightly more popular) frowned upon the BTEC and didn't see them as equivalent to the A-Level.

So I would just say check your college course and the qualification you will be possibly getting with some prospective universities.
Karaheyhey
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What do you need to take in high school
Rach991
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Teaching requires English at A levelAnd maths and english at O levelScottish equivalent (higher and Nat 5)
Rach991
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by jago25_98)
I've already done a Geology degree and I'm working fulltime.

I'd love to switch to this if I could do so easily. Would a 1 year PCGE course be enough or do I have to do 4 years of time wasting crap where most of the knowledge is never used in the job... again? :woo:
A 1 year PGCE/PGDE will surfice to become a teacher - it requires 1 year study and 1 year probation to become fully qualified.
Rach991
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by alanjamestierney)
Hi,

I am currently living in Ireland and have done an honours degree in business, through recreation and leisure. I am interested in becoming a physical education teacher at secondary level. In Ireland you cannot do a Hdip without your course being registered with the Irish teaching college and my course isn't. So I have to look in the UK. Does anyone know any colleges that would allow you to do the one year add on course and become a PE teacher in the UK.

Thanks for any help!!
Alan
To Become a PE teacher you need experience and a degree realting to sporting background (I suggest and 'work experience' type stuff helps a lot, coaching qualifications are also a bonus) You need as much experience as you can get before applying, especially if your degree doesn't relate across.
You can do a 1 year PGCE/PGDE course in england or scotland that will gicve you QTS 1 year probationary teaching then you are fully qualified to teach
Rach991
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Karaheyhey)
What do you need to take in high school
PE
English
Maths
At O level/ Nat 5

PE and English at A level/ Higher
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (97)
14.85%
Yes - a food allergy (71)
10.87%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (16)
2.45%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (18)
2.76%
No (451)
69.07%

Watched Threads