The Student Room Group

overweight health effects

I'm 17 now and over the last few years (since I was 14 or so) I've gradually been putting on a bit of extra weight. I was in the overweight category of the BMI scale but I'm almost back to my ideal weight now. The highest weight I reached was about 70kg, so at the start of the overweight category but I'm now working my way back down to around 60kg (I'm 5'5). I'd say I only became in the overweight category during the last year, but between ages of 14/15 I was in the healthy weight bracket, but still at a higher percentile. I didn't exercise enough and the main thing wrong with my diet was probably sugar consumption, and eating too many sweets. Do you think this will have a significant negative affect on my health as I get older? Because I wasn't the ideal weight for around 3 years as a child/young adult, has this increased my chances of getting cancer or diabetes in the future? Or is it unlikely to make much difference seeing as I've nipped it in the bud while I'm still young? Thank you for your help, please don't say anything drastic because as you can see, I'm quite concerned.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 17 now and over the last few years (since I was 14 or so) I've gradually been putting on a bit of extra weight. I was in the overweight category of the BMI scale but I'm almost back to my ideal weight now. The highest weight I reached was about 70kg, so at the start of the overweight category but I'm now working my way back down to around 60kg (I'm 5'5). I'd say I only became in the overweight category during the last year, but between ages of 14/15 I was in the healthy weight bracket, but still at a higher percentile. I didn't exercise enough and the main thing wrong with my diet was probably sugar consumption, and eating too many sweets. Do you think this will have a significant negative affect on my health as I get older? Because I wasn't the ideal weight for around 3 years as a child/young adult, has this increased my chances of getting cancer or diabetes in the future? Or is it unlikely to make much difference seeing as I've nipped it in the bud while I'm still young? Thank you for your help, please don't say anything drastic because as you can see, I'm quite concerned.

I'm female by the way.
60kg at 5'5 is still fat.
Reply 3
Original post by übermensch
60kg at 5'5 is still fat.

No it's not. 57kg is the perfect weight for my age and height but being 60kg is perfectly healthy. There's a reason why the healthy weight range is so wide, do you expect everyone to weigh exactly 57 kg, no more no less?
No it's not. 57kg is the perfect weight for my age and height but being 60kg is perfectly healthy. There's a reason why the healthy weight range is so wide, do you expect everyone to weigh exactly 57 kg, no more no less?

57kg is fat too.
It isn't going to do permanent damage if you are overweight for a short time and then lose it again.
Reply 6
Original post by Sternumator
It isn't going to do permanent damage if you are overweight for a short time and then lose it again.

Yeah I've pretty much lost it all now. But I was carrying extra weight for about 3 years.
Reply 7
Original post by übermensch
57kg is fat too.

Ok well now I know you're being ridiculous. What weight do you recommend isn't too fat?
Ok well now I know you're being ridiculous. What weight do you recommend isn't too fat?

Reply 9

If you had been massively overweight then possibly, but you were only over by a small amount. I think it's safe to assume it won't have any significant effect on you going forwards.
Hey lets face it a lot of people are that amount overweight for their whole lives and totally fine.

his a dupe/troll nvm him x
Get active, develop muscle while burning the fat, you won't lose weight but will be healthier.

Quick Reply