Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Maybe evolution doesn't apply to Turks?
Zargabaath
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Source?

It's entirely believable tbh, Turkey's regressing to become a backwards Islamic theocracy, with many Turks I see online actively cheering the transition. Check out the comment section on Vox's video on it. They seem to herald Erdoğan as some kind of Islamic saviour to the country.
Reformed2010
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah, I'm not surprised. Right-Wing religious people are anti-intellectual. You cannot have right-wing religious people elect an individual who trash talks the press, courts, political opposition, is Conservative, Religious and then expect them to respect science. Look at Trump and the US Vice President. They mock science, evidence, facts etc all the damn time. Facts have a liberal bias, they do not give damn about the certainties of people's religious or non religious beliefs. I feel sorry for the Turkish people, their country was the best hope a Muslim majority nation had. This is why people like my passionately object to any UK government getting involved with the likes of the DUP.

Religion combined with Conservatism are enemies of Science and Democracy.
Haider_A
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well it is a majority Muslim country...
FakeNewsEditor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hxfsxh)
Yes, they're a Muslim country, but scientifically, it is still vital to view evolution maybe not as a reality, but as a theory. I don't think the Big Bang actually happened, but I accept it and learned about it as a theory.
If someone can translate this I'd be grateful. Didn't understand a word.
Zargabaath
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
it is still vital to view evolution maybe not as a reality, but as a theory
People who say this don't seem to understand what "theory" means in a scientific sense. Gravity is a theory in exactly the same way evolution is. You would never tell someone to view gravity not as a reality, but as a theory instead, because it'd make you look stupid. Why do people make an arbitrary distinction when it comes to evolution?
Charliewiz
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, they're a Muslim country, but scientifically, it is still vital to view evolution maybe not as a reality, but as a theory. I don't think the Big Bang actually happened, but I accept it and learned about it as a theory.
Science doesn't care what you believe. It cares about what happened so to say that we shouldn't teach evolution because some people dont believe in it is to say that the holocaust didnt happen because you think its mean and wasn't nice. Its true weather you like or not and thats the wonderful thing about science
FakeNewsEditor
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Zargabaath)
People who say this don't seem to understand what "theory" means in a scientific sense. Gravity is a theory in exactly the same way evolution is. You would never tell someone to view gravity not as a reality, but as a theory instead, because it'd make you look stupid. Why do people make an arbitrary distinction when it comes to evolution?
"Evolution" is not a theory. That's like saying combustion is a theory. It's a fact, empirically observable, we have the fossils and so on, that species evolved. That's not under dispute, it's not a theory.

What is a theory is evolution by natural selection. I.e. the mechanism through which evolution happens. Not that it happens, that's not a theory.
_gcx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is a common misconception.

In academia, a theory does not imply a lack of proof. The word that you're likely looking for is hypothesis.

Edit: per the above, I am assuming that you're talking about the theory of evolution by natural selection, pardon if I made that unclear.
Pidge Gunderson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Evolution should be totally reconcilable with Islam. It seems people want to deny empirical fact though.
übermensch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Zargabaath)
Source?

It's entirely believable tbh, Turkey's regressing to become a backwards Islamic theocracy, with many Turks I see online actively cheering the transition. Check out the comment section on Vox's video on it. They seem to herald Erdoğan as some kind of Islamic saviour to the country.
"if it's not a western democracy its backwards"
FakeNewsEditor
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by übermensch)
More like "if it contradicts more evidence than can be fit in Erdogan's palace, it's backwards"
President1213
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by FakeNewsEditor)
"Evolution" is not a theory. That's like saying combustion is a theory. It's a fact, empirically observable, we have the fossils and so on, that species evolved. That's not under dispute, it's not a theory.

What is a theory is evolution by natural selection. I.e. the mechanism through which evolution happens. Not that it happens, that's not a theory.
you can't really observe evolution as it happens over a long period of time.
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by President1213)
you can't really observe evolution as it happens over a long period of time.
You can observe stuff like viruses evolving as they evolve very quickly. This is why you need to have a new flu jab each year as the virus evolves.

You can also observe fossil records etc. Evolutionary computation is also a thing so you can observe computers using the mechanisms of evolution (such as random changes in an artificial genome and none random selection pressures) to solve problems.
President1213
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
You can observe stuff like viruses evolving as they evolve very quickly. This is why you need to have a new flu jab each years as the virus evolves.
i think that's developing immunity i.e. adaptation but i'm not really sure as i haven't done biology in years
mojojojo101
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by übermensch)
Western democracy is backwards as well...
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by President1213)
i think that's developing immunity i.e. adaptation but i'm not really sure as i haven't done biology in years
The virus evolves to adapt to the new human immunity. Some viruses will randomly change in a way that can get round the human immune system, these viruses in the virus population then explode in number and you have a load of infectious viruses again.

Evolutionary computation is also a thing so you can observe computers using the mechanisms of evolution (such as random changes in an artificial genome and none random selection pressures) to solve problems. You can also see nat selection processes used in lasers to evolve photon coherence. It's definitly a mechanism that works.
FakeNewsEditor
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mojojojo101)
Western democracy is backwards as well...
Pray tell...what's backwards about it
cbreef
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Haider_A)
Well it is a majority Muslim country...
It's also technically secular.
President1213
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
The virus evolves to adapt to the new human immunity. Some viruses will randomly change in a way that can get round the human immune system, these viruses in the virus population then explode in number and you have a load of infectious viruses again.

Evolutionary computation is also a thing so you can observe computers using the mechanisms of evolution (such as random changes in an artificial genome and none random selection pressures) to solve problems.
when these viruses evolve, don't they just change their antigens or something? and not involve into a new virus?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.65%
I used to but I don't now (17)
2.41%
No, but I want to start (265)
37.59%
No, I am unable to (167)
23.69%
No, I chose not to (195)
27.66%