How to embed quotes in essays

Watch this thread
jt1212
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
The question is, "How does Stevenson create a mysterious setting in the extract" One of the quotes is "fogged city moon"

My first point will be that Stevenson uses the fog to create a mysterious setting.
WhiteyBread101
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jt1212)
The question is, "How does Stevenson create a mysterious setting in the extract" One of the quotes is "fogged city moon"

My first point will be that Stevenson uses the fog to create a mysterious setting.
When you embed quotes in your essay, you're essentially just integrating them into the sentence, so rather than saying something like

"Stevenson uses an adjective, for example: "fogged city moon"" you could say "By describing the moon as a "fogged city moon", Stevenson uses an adjective to create the effect ......." (obviously use your own points, but just integrating them in similar ways to this)

jt1212
Rep:
(Original post by Gingerbread101)
When you embed quotes in your essay, you're essentially just integrating them into the sentence, so rather than saying something like

"Stevenson uses an adjective, for example: "fogged city moon"" you could say "By describing the moon as a "fogged city moon", Stevenson uses an adjective to create the effect ......." (obviously use your own points, but just integrating them in similar ways to this)

Also any idea on how to improve my writing speed as I'm so slow when it comes to writing essays

Time always defeats me -_-
The RAR
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
When you are embedding quotes is it fine to use these symbols ' ' rather than " "
WhiteyBread101
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Also any idea on how to improve my writing speed as I'm so slow when it comes to writing essays

Time always defeats me -_-
Making a plan beforehand always helps so you have a vague idea of what you want to write if you find yourself hesitating when writing, remember that not every word has to be perfect, just write as it comes to you

Practice makes perfect, the more you write the faster you'll get
jt1212
Rep:
Making a plan beforehand always helps so you have a vague idea of what you want to write if you find yourself hesitating when writing, remember that not every word has to be perfect, just write as it comes to you

Practice makes perfect, the more you write the faster you'll get
What does the quote about the moon suggest?
WhiteyBread101
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
What does the quote about the moon suggest?
I have no idea of the context of the quote and I'm not here to do your work for you what ideas do you have so far?
jt1212
Rep:
I have no idea of the context of the quote and I'm not here to do your work for you what ideas do you have so far?
Robert Louis Stevenson creates a mysterious setting in the extract through the use of the adjective, "fogged city moon" to describe the moon. This suggests that the fog is concealing something sinister or abnormal about the moon from the reader. A Victorian reader would have been petrified as many Victorians were Christians and believed that the fog was a symbol of the devil and hell.
NeedHelpHelpNeed
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
You could make the point of pathetic fallacy instead of just fog.
Stevenson uses pathetic fallacy to create a mysterious atmosphere beneath the "fogged city moon".
That is a well embedded quote as it reads as if it were a normal sentence without any quote at all. In fact, I think 'under the face of' is even part of the extract, so you could write "under the face of the fogged city moon" instead of 'beneath the' and it would still sound pretty normal. The more a quote sounds like it isn't forced, the better. That's why it is called embedding it within a normal sentence - so it sounds as normal as possible. Also, short quotes are better than long ones.
For analysis, you can talk about how fog is a reoccurring motif of secrecy in Jekyll and Hyde. Or how the adjective (fogged) gives the impression that the moon is getting almost smothered by the fog! Also the moon (or even just pathetic fallacy in general) is typical of the Gothic genre. This is a context point you can make. I think it might be better to talk about the Gothic with fog and stuff rather than a Victorian reader being 'petrified', as I think it may be hard to belief something as common as fog would 'petrify' them!! Though, the Victorians were avid readers of Gothic novels (Frankenstein, Dracula etc) so they would recognise these tropes like fog and associate it with mystery.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
20.54%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (12)
10.71%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (8)
7.14%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (19)
16.96%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (27)
24.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
20.54%

Watched Threads