Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I would just like to thank you in advance but has anyone got any advice when revising for paper 3, I don't know how to revise for it has anyone got any advice

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same predicament as you, any help is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    After doing specimen papers, I think knowing how to do all the practicals is a good start, like filtration under reduced pressure, titrations, chromatography... and then the rest is on anything so revise anything you feel weakest on, since there probably isn't enough time to go through everything. Also, learn the answers to those annoying random practical questions like "Why is a minimum amount of solvent used?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halil-yorgandji)
    I would just like to thank you in advance but has anyone got any advice when revising for paper 3, I don't know how to revise for it has anyone got any advice
    My thoughts on paper 3

It seems to me that a fair bit of year 12 content hasn’t come up – I wonder if all this will be in the multiple choice questions?

Year 12 content which doesn’t seem to have come up in papers 1 and 2 :

3.1.1 Atomic structure – electronic configuration
    3.1.2 Amount of substance – yield calculations, atom economy, empirical formula
    3.1.3 Bonding - no shapes, not that much on bonding and intermolecular forces
    3.1.4 Energetics – this is a BIG topic and the only thing that came up was a definition. This topic has lots of practical, including the one where you extrapolate to find DT ( one of the core practicals )
    3.1.5 Kinetics - nothing on Maxwell Boltzmann

3.2.1 Periodicity
    3.2.3 Group 7(17), the halogens –reactions halides with conc sulfuric

3.3.2 Alkanes
    3.3.3 Halogenoalkanes – came up but nothing on CFCs / ozone
    3.3.4 Alkenes
    3.3.5 Alcohols

Year 13 content which doesn’t seem to have come up in papers 1 and 2 :

3.1.8 Thermodynamics - no Born Haber cycles / DH solution – again this could be a practical question/ ionic model/ covalent character
    3.1.11 Electrode potentials and electrochemical cells - fuel cells
    3.1.12 Acids and bases – pH curves

3.2.5 Transition metals - shapes and isomers of complex ions, TM as catalysts

3.3.10 Aromatic chemistry - bonding in benzene delocalisation
    3.3.13 Amino acids, proteins and DNA - protein structure, enzymes
    3.3.15 Nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy - there was no proton spectra although there was a question about environments
    3.3.16 Chromatography - no column or gas

Practical

There has been testing for ions and organic functional groups, TLC and some transition metal/ aqueous ions.

I think you will be asked to plot a graph for one of the practical questions – you have already been asked to draw a tangent on a given graph and also been asked to do a calculation on Ea. For data analysis something on energy or possibly rates, maybe pH curve but I think energy is the big missing topic

Remember that a graph is at least 4 marks – scale and plot the points properly! Label axes and, if it is an Ea graph – don’t forget that there is a x10n (usually x10-3) factor in your plotted numbers because of the ln 1/T ( in Kelvin)

Organic practicals – I think you will get a long question on one of them : I would focus on numbers 5 and 10: reflux, distillation, solvent extraction, melting point apparatus

Good luck everyone

ReputationRep:
    for tomorrows exam do we need to know how to name secondary and tertiary amines? :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustWondering98)
    for tomorrows exam do we need to know how to name secondary and tertiary amines? :'
    yes

ReputationRep:
    Practice doing EMPA's and ISA's

ReputationRep:
    Do we need to know the synthesis of aspirin?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have the specimen papers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uplink)
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/scien...ment-resources

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uplink)
    Paper-
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FtG...ew?usp=sharing

Markscheme -https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_ME3wOahpgOW4NnacsoGDyLYiGPHM3B W/view?usp=sharing

ReputationRep:
    Help
    I dont understand 2017 paper Q18 mcq

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 16, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.