AQA Resistant Materials Unofficial Mark Scheme - Friday 16th June Watch

Lydia.rose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
there are four marks missing from this but I'm not sure where they are missing from.

Section a
1) Specification (9 marks): three developed ideas of what the seating must be with explanations. Examples: my design must have no sharp edges so that nobody gets hurt when using the seating as there is nothing to cause injury (3 marks) My design must be ergonomically designed so that it is comfortable for use for both children and adults as sizes are considered (3 marks) My design must be durable so that it lasts a long time without having to be replaced (3 marks)
2) Design (15 marks): Three designs that are suitable for use by adults. Must creative. All designs must be clearly different. Two designs suitable for use for children. It should be clear that they can be used by children eg. Low to the floor, bright colours. All designs should be creative and different to other designs.
3) Making (11 marks) Sketch of the best design chosen from question 2. (0 marks) Three features that make the seating suitable for the target market (3 marks) for example: the seating varies in height so can be used by children and adults. (1 mark) The seating includes bright colours which appeal to children. (1 mark) The seating is made from strong materials so that it is strong enough for use by children or adults. (1 mark)
Construction (3 marks) for example: The acrylic will be cut out on the laser cutter as it is accurate and gives a clean cut. (1 mark) The oak will be cut out using the laser cutter and joined using mortise and Tenon joints as they are strong. (1 mark) The stainless steel legs will be cut to size using the lathe. (1 mark)
Sizes and features (3 marks) Annotate two dimensions of the product for example: Width: 500mm (1 mark) Height: 2000mm (1 mark) One ergonomic feature: despite appearing rectangular, the seat has been moulded to increase comfort. (1 mark) Materials and finishes (2 marks) annotate the design stating at least two specific materials and how that material would be finished for example: The window at the top would be made from acrylic as it will not biodegrade and is unlikely to break so it will not need replacing. (1 mark) Acrylic does not need finishing as it is already aesthetically pleasing so requires no finish. (1 mark) The main body of the product will be made from oak as it is durable and has a traditional appearance. (1 mark) Oak can be finished using varnish as it will enhance the aesthetics whilst providing weather resistance. (1 mark) The legs can be made of stainless steel as it is resistant to corrosion and appears expensive. (1 mark) The stainless steel will be plastic dip coated to make sure that it does not rust.
Section b
4) How to make the headphone stand. (21 marks) a) How would you make the acrylic stand using methods of CAD CAM? (3 marks marking out, 3 marks cutting, c marks bending) • Using 2d design, draw out a net of the design of the product • Set the lines to red for cutting. • Copy and paste the design ten times. • Make sure the designs tessellate. • Transfer the information to the laser cutter computer. • Set the laser cutter to red lines= low speed high power. • Place a sheet of acrylic in the machine • Clamp the acrylic into place. • Turn on the extraction • Start the laser cutter • When the machine is finished, remove all pieces. • Turn on the strip heater and allow it to heat up. • Hold the acrylic over the heater until flexible. • Hold the acrylic in a jig until it cools and is o longer flexile. • Repeat ten times.
b) how would you make the wooden base using traditional methods of manufacture? (3 marks marking, 3 marks shaping, 3 marks finishing) • Use a template to draw out the shape of the base • Use a pencil to draw around the template to make sure al designs are of the same high quality. • Make sure that the deisgns tessellate and are marked at the edge to reduce waste. • Repeat ten times. • Use a coping saw to cut out the base as it can cut curves • Use a cutting jig to make sure they are all the same • Use a square head file to remove any loose pieves of material and make sure that the base is round. • Repeat ten times • Use a cloth to remove any dirt and dust from the wood • Use a brush to apply Danish oil evenly on the base. • Leave the Danish oil to dry • Repeat ten times.
c) Joining (3 marks) • Place the acrylic on the wooden base and use a pancil to mark out where the holes will go on the wood. • Use a drill to drill holes in the desired positions on the wood. • Place the holes in the acrylic over the holes in the wood then use a screwdriver to attatch the acrylic to the wood using screws. • Repeat 10 times.
5) Tick boxes on types of plastics (this one is unconfirmed as I do not fully remember the answers) (5 marks): Acrylic: thermoplastic UF: Thermoset PET: Thermoplastic Thermoset (don’t remember the other material but it was a thermoset) ABS: thermoplastic
6) Compare the sustainability of using natural timber with using manufactured board (8 marks) • Manufactured board uses recycled timber so less trees are cut down. • Less habitats destroyed with manufactured board • Less energy needed to cut down trees • Lighter so more can be shipped • Available in large sheets • However, still uses a lot of energy as wood will need to be cut up • Chemicals need to be added which can damage the environment. • Doesn’t look as good • May not be as strong
7) Composite materials (6 marks) • Improve the properties if a material • May make it lighter • May make it stronger • Can improve the aesthetics • Improve resistance to corrosion • Easy to mould • Ease of repair
8) Flow chart on the joint: • 5 marks for the stages • 1 mark for decision (does it fit together) • 1 mark for return arrow (from test to cut) • 2 marks for correct boxes.
9) Premanufactured components a) Table: (4 marks) screw (not sure if had t specify type) joining dowel Modesty block (unsure) Butt hinge (or piano hinge, again- unsure) b) Why would manufactures use pre manufactured components? (4 marks) • Saves time • Saves money • They would have been developed by CAD CAM so same high quality • Smaller workforce • Less skilled workforce • Makes product easier to assemble
10) A) why is an engagement ring made by one off production? (4 marks) • One of a kind • People want individual products • Specific sixes • Jewels in it will all be different • A lot of time needs to be taken • Not that many are needed b) Why is a mountain bike batch production? (4 marks) • A lot of people want one • Batches will be quality controlled and assured • Relatively low workforce • Machine operated • Batch size can increase around Christmas where more people want one • Quite a lot are needed but not enough to be made continuously. c) Why is a soft drinks can made by continuous production? (4 marks) • A lot are needed • They can all be identical • Production needs to be inexpensive as the cans won’t sell for a lot • Low workforce required • Can be made quickly as it runs 24 hours a day
11) A) Three ergonomic feature if the kettle (9 marks) • The button at the top is within reach of the hand when holding the kettle by the handle for more comfortable use • The grip is ergonomically designed so it is more comfortable to hold. • The grip is made of rubber which is non slip so It is comfortable to hold and will not get dropped. • The button at the bottom is easy to reach and access when holding the kettle ad it is easy to reach when the kettle is put down. b) What are anthropometrics and how would they influence the deisgn of the kettle (3 marks) Anthropometrics are the measurements of people in relation to the product. The manufacturer would have needed to consider finger width as this would determine the size of the ridges on the handle. Finger length would also need to be considered as this shows where the buttons and switches need to be positioned.
username1986099
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lydia.rose)
there are four marks missing from this but I'm not sure where they are missing from.

Section a
1) Specification (9 marks): three developed ideas of what the seating must be with explanations. Examples: my design must have no sharp edges so that nobody gets hurt when using the seating as there is nothing to cause injury (3 marks) My design must be ergonomically designed so that it is comfortable for use for both children and adults as sizes are considered (3 marks) My design must be durable so that it lasts a long time without having to be replaced (3 marks)
2) Design (15 marks): Three designs that are suitable for use by adults. Must creative. All designs must be clearly different. Two designs suitable for use for children. It should be clear that they can be used by children eg. Low to the floor, bright colours. All designs should be creative and different to other designs.
3) Making (11 marks) Sketch of the best design chosen from question 2. (0 marks) Three features that make the seating suitable for the target market (3 marks) for example: the seating varies in height so can be used by children and adults. (1 mark) The seating includes bright colours which appeal to children. (1 mark) The seating is made from strong materials so that it is strong enough for use by children or adults. (1 mark)
Construction (3 marks) for example: The acrylic will be cut out on the laser cutter as it is accurate and gives a clean cut. (1 mark) The oak will be cut out using the laser cutter and joined using mortise and Tenon joints as they are strong. (1 mark) The stainless steel legs will be cut to size using the lathe. (1 mark)
Sizes and features (3 marks) Annotate two dimensions of the product for example: Width: 500mm (1 mark) Height: 2000mm (1 mark) One ergonomic feature: despite appearing rectangular, the seat has been moulded to increase comfort. (1 mark) Materials and finishes (2 marks) annotate the design stating at least two specific materials and how that material would be finished for example: The window at the top would be made from acrylic as it will not biodegrade and is unlikely to break so it will not need replacing. (1 mark) Acrylic does not need finishing as it is already aesthetically pleasing so requires no finish. (1 mark) The main body of the product will be made from oak as it is durable and has a traditional appearance. (1 mark) Oak can be finished using varnish as it will enhance the aesthetics whilst providing weather resistance. (1 mark) The legs can be made of stainless steel as it is resistant to corrosion and appears expensive. (1 mark) The stainless steel will be plastic dip coated to make sure that it does not rust.
Section b
4) How to make the headphone stand. (21 marks) a) How would you make the acrylic stand using methods of CAD CAM? (3 marks marking out, 3 marks cutting, c marks bending) • Using 2d design, draw out a net of the design of the product • Set the lines to red for cutting. • Copy and paste the design ten times. • Make sure the designs tessellate. • Transfer the information to the laser cutter computer. • Set the laser cutter to red lines= low speed high power. • Place a sheet of acrylic in the machine • Clamp the acrylic into place. • Turn on the extraction • Start the laser cutter • When the machine is finished, remove all pieces. • Turn on the strip heater and allow it to heat up. • Hold the acrylic over the heater until flexible. • Hold the acrylic in a jig until it cools and is o longer flexile. • Repeat ten times.
b) how would you make the wooden base using traditional methods of manufacture? (3 marks marking, 3 marks shaping, 3 marks finishing) • Use a template to draw out the shape of the base • Use a pencil to draw around the template to make sure al designs are of the same high quality. • Make sure that the deisgns tessellate and are marked at the edge to reduce waste. • Repeat ten times. • Use a coping saw to cut out the base as it can cut curves • Use a cutting jig to make sure they are all the same • Use a square head file to remove any loose pieves of material and make sure that the base is round. • Repeat ten times • Use a cloth to remove any dirt and dust from the wood • Use a brush to apply Danish oil evenly on the base. • Leave the Danish oil to dry • Repeat ten times.
c) Joining (3 marks) • Place the acrylic on the wooden base and use a pancil to mark out where the holes will go on the wood. • Use a drill to drill holes in the desired positions on the wood. • Place the holes in the acrylic over the holes in the wood then use a screwdriver to attatch the acrylic to the wood using screws. • Repeat 10 times.
5) Tick boxes on types of plastics (this one is unconfirmed as I do not fully remember the answers) (5 marks): Acrylic: thermoplastic UF: Thermoset PET: Thermoplastic Thermoset (don’t remember the other material but it was a thermoset) ABS: thermoplastic
6) Compare the sustainability of using natural timber with using manufactured board (8 marks) • Manufactured board uses recycled timber so less trees are cut down. • Less habitats destroyed with manufactured board • Less energy needed to cut down trees • Lighter so more can be shipped • Available in large sheets • However, still uses a lot of energy as wood will need to be cut up • Chemicals need to be added which can damage the environment. • Doesn’t look as good • May not be as strong
7) Composite materials (6 marks) • Improve the properties if a material • May make it lighter • May make it stronger • Can improve the aesthetics • Improve resistance to corrosion • Easy to mould • Ease of repair
8) Flow chart on the joint: • 5 marks for the stages • 1 mark for decision (does it fit together) • 1 mark for return arrow (from test to cut) • 2 marks for correct boxes.
9) Premanufactured components a) Table: (4 marks) screw (not sure if had t specify type) joining dowel Modesty block (unsure) Butt hinge (or piano hinge, again- unsure) b) Why would manufactures use pre manufactured components? (4 marks) • Saves time • Saves money • They would have been developed by CAD CAM so same high quality • Smaller workforce • Less skilled workforce • Makes product easier to assemble
10) A) why is an engagement ring made by one off production? (4 marks) • One of a kind • People want individual products • Specific sixes • Jewels in it will all be different • A lot of time needs to be taken • Not that many are needed b) Why is a mountain bike batch production? (4 marks) • A lot of people want one • Batches will be quality controlled and assured • Relatively low workforce • Machine operated • Batch size can increase around Christmas where more people want one • Quite a lot are needed but not enough to be made continuously. c) Why is a soft drinks can made by continuous production? (4 marks) • A lot are needed • They can all be identical • Production needs to be inexpensive as the cans won’t sell for a lot • Low workforce required • Can be made quickly as it runs 24 hours a day
11) A) Three ergonomic feature if the kettle (9 marks) • The button at the top is within reach of the hand when holding the kettle by the handle for more comfortable use • The grip is ergonomically designed so it is more comfortable to hold. • The grip is made of rubber which is non slip so It is comfortable to hold and will not get dropped. • The button at the bottom is easy to reach and access when holding the kettle ad it is easy to reach when the kettle is put down. b) What are anthropometrics and how would they influence the deisgn of the kettle (3 marks) Anthropometrics are the measurements of people in relation to the product. The manufacturer would have needed to consider finger width as this would determine the size of the ridges on the handle. Finger length would also need to be considered as this shows where the buttons and switches need to be positioned.
Doesn't add up to 120?
Pjviz108
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Was this for the 2017 AQA DT Resistant Materials exam for GCSEs?
louisaharkness
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The four marks missing are from a question in which one is asked to name a suitable material for an outdoor table, a reason why and the materials origin. The question is repeated again but for an indoor wooden table
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • Middlesex University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (166)
18.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.54%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (131)
14.64%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.5%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.61%

Watched Threads