Unemployed one year after graduating

Watch
Frustratedguy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I graduated with a 2.1 degree in Mechanical Engineering from UCL and I am still unemployed for a year since graduating.

Everyone gets shocked when I tell them that I am.
thatguy170296
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Frustratedguy)
I graduated with a 2.1 degree in Mechanical Engineering from UCL and I am still unemployed for a year since graduating.

How do you cope and keep yourself busy?

Do you do a part time job or anything?

I finished university at the end of last month and graduate end of July officially. I'm already losing my ****ing mind lol
Frustratedguy
Rep:
?
(Original post by thatguy170296)
How do you cope and keep yourself busy?

Do you do a part time job or anything?

I finished university at the end of last month and graduate end of July officially. I'm already losing my ****ing mind lol
It's tough. I'm just thankful I have food on my plate and a roof over my head thanks to my parents.
I have applied for thousands of jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
thatguy170296
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's tough. I'm just thankful I have food on my plate and a roof over my head thanks to my parents.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's great you have such supportive parents.

Thousands? Sorry you've been so unlucky with the job search

What's the furthest you've been through an application process?
Frustratedguy
Rep:
?
It's great you have such supportive parents.

Thousands? Sorry you've been so unlucky with the job search

What's the furthest you've been through an application process?
I've been through interviews. Unfortunately in this area, there is not as many jobs as in London.
It feels different too. Like all the people are elderly or are families. Very few people our age.

Posted from TSR Mobile
thatguy170296
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've been through interviews. Unfortunately in this area, there is not as many jobs as in London.
It feels different too. Like all the people are elderly or are families. Very few people our age.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's unfortunate. I live in a small town as well, so there's not many graduate jobs going.

Do you drive? Guess that would makes thing easier. I'm probably going to move away and rent somewhere when I find a graduate job, I'm not too bothered about where the jobs I apply for are situated.
Nulliverse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What do you think is the reason why you can't find anything? Maybe if you do apply for a job in London you can might be able to rent out a place obviously living poverty student mode again but it can maybe get your foot in the door to something further?
study beats
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

wtf hows that even possible ?? are you sure your applying properly?

a 2.1 in mechanical engineering definitely means your fixed for life mate , dont understand how you are jobless
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
It sounds like your CV needs improving or that you need to work on your interview technique.
Pidge Gunderson
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Wow a UCL degree and unemployed? One of the best universities in the world too... Crazy how volatile this job market can be.

I'd suggest trying to find opportunities in bigger cities to possibly lead to more paths later. Good luck though
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You aren't far away from large scale engineering projects in the UK. I can reel off the number of railway lines being electrified in the next 6 years. But then if you can't or won't work in an orange suit then I'm not sure what will help you
Frustratedguy
Rep:
?
(Original post by study beats)
wtf hows that even possible ?? are you sure your applying properly?

a 2.1 in mechanical engineering definitely means your fixed for life mate , dont understand how you are jobless

Everyone says that. It's just not that simple. I am applying to everything and anything using totaljobs etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Frustratedguy
Rep:
?
That's unfortunate. I live in a small town as well, so there's not many graduate jobs going.

Do you drive? Guess that would makes thing easier. I'm probably going to move away and rent somewhere when I find a graduate job, I'm not too bothered about where the jobs I apply for are situated.
The problem is that I will need money before starting the job to pay the rent. Back to the chicken and egg thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
study beats
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Everyone says that. It's just not that simple. I am applying to everything and anything using totaljobs etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
you definitely need to see a careers adviser ASAP
Frustratedguy
Rep:
?
(Original post by shawn_o1)
You aren't far away from large scale engineering projects in the UK. I can reel off the number of railway lines being electrified in the next 6 years. But then if you can't or won't work in an orange suit then I'm not sure what will help you
Tbh I'll do anything. I've been rejected from Asda, Tesco, the local pub and the local off license.

Posted from TSR Mobile
thatguy170296
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The problem is that I will need money before starting the job to pay the rent. Back to the chicken and egg thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah right. Maybe you could just get any job, even bar work, or a job in retail, and just save up a bit of money whilst you apply for graduate jobs?

^ Sorry didn't see message where you said you're applying for anything

Good luck, something seems seriously off. I'd visit a careers advisor like study beats suggested.
Frustratedguy
Rep:
?
Ah right. Maybe you could just get any job, even bar work, or a job in retail, and just save up a bit of money whilst you apply for graduate jobs?
I've applied to all of them. It's a pile of rejections. They are looking for people experienced in their field. I have no experience in bar work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
thatguy170296
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've applied to all of them. It's a pile of rejections. They are looking for people experienced in their field. I have no experience in bar work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hate this country, you have a degree in engineering and people won't hire you for bar work because of 'experience', what a ****ing joke.....
Frustratedguy
Rep:
?
Hate this country, you have a degree in engineering and people won't hire you for bar work because of 'experience', what a ****ing joke.....
A lot of people have been telling me that I'm over qualified.

But honestly this area is ****. Like literally a village.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Skyewoods
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What feedback have you got from recruiters?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (197)
57.6%
I don't have everything I need (145)
42.4%

Watched Threads