The Student Room Group

Unemployed one year after graduating

Scroll to see replies

Did you work during uni?

A 2.1 degree from UCL won't get you very far on it's own.. Do you have any relevant experience or even experience from a part time job?
Original post by Jackieox
Did you work during uni?

A 2.1 degree from UCL won't get you very far on it's own.. Do you have any relevant experience or even experience from a part time job?

Nope. I don't have any relavent experience. I also don't know how I can get experience if i've not got any.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Frustratedguy
Tbh I'll do anything. I've been rejected from Asda, Tesco, the local pub and the local off license.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're kidding?

I know a girl whose 16 that works at F*cking Boots without any A-levels, shite GCSE grades and no charisma. While you graduated with an upper second class from one of the greatest universities in the world are unemployed?

You must be doing something wrong, maybe your interview appearance or something.
Go back to UCL and speak to the careers team, you really need to work on your soft skills. It's fine having a super technical degree like MechEng but if you can't articulate yourself during an interview, then your skills are of no use to anyone.
Original post by SomeFire
You're kidding?

I know a girl whose 16 that works at F*cking Boots without any A-levels, shite GCSE grades and no charisma. While you graduated with an upper second class from one of the greatest universities in the world are unemployed?

You must be doing something wrong, maybe your interview appearance or something.

I don't thing it's to do with that. I am very well spoken, have practiced loads of mock interviews. Some people have said it might be due to discrimination as I wear a turban in a 99%+ white British area, but I'm honestly not sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tbh I'll do anything. I've been rejected from Asda, Tesco, the local pub and the local off license.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're applying for the wrong kinds of jobs. I couldn't get those kinds of jobs either because I was "overqualified" with a 2:1 degree and Qualified Teacher Status.

You need to apply to one in your field. I had no trouble being offered teaching jobs because there is a shortage, but quit cos the job is hell.

Or you might just be really bad in interviews and with people. Because I couldn't get onto a single graduate scheme either. I would suggest trying with smaller / local companies.
I don't thing it's to do with that. I am very well spoken, have practiced loads of mock interviews. Some people have said it might be due to discrimination as I wear a turban in a 99%+ white British area, but I'm honestly not sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oooooooooh, that might be the reason unfortunately.

I knew there must've been something off somewhere.

Never compromise you culture for some cash. Just keep applying, you'll get there.

Maybe change up your CV too.
I graduated with a 2.1 degree in Mechanical Engineering from UCL and I am still unemployed for a year since graduating.

Everyone gets shocked when I tell them that I am.

I just graduated with a 2.1 BEng in Mech Eng too this summer and I've already had interviews.

Put your CV up on indeed, cv library and monster. Then just click apply to lots of different jobs don't even bother with cover letters.

I've got several phone calls asking me if i'm interested in grad roles etc. I'm still in the process of securing a job :colondollar:
(edited 6 years ago)
do you have any work experience?
Oooooooooh, that might be the reason unfortunately.

I knew there must've been something off somewhere.

Never compromise you culture for some cash. Just keep applying, you'll get there.

Maybe change up your CV too.

Yes I mean people in London were more used to men wearing a turban or seeing people from different cultural backgrounds.

My CV is up to date and I have included all I can in two pages without lying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by loveleest
do you have any work experience?

I worked as a promotor for a bar but that's it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I worked as a promotor for a bar but that's it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's not good enough. In uni a degree just isn't enough
I graduated with a 2.1 degree in Mechanical Engineering from UCL and I am still unemployed for a year since graduating.

Everyone gets shocked when I tell them that I am.

Did you do a placement during university? Any internships? Volunteering? What societies did you join? I've heard employers like to know about these things.
Original post by oldboy2007
You're applying for the wrong kinds of jobs. I couldn't get those kinds of jobs either because I was "overqualified" with a 2:1 degree and Qualified Teacher Status.

You need to apply to one in your field. I had no trouble being offered teaching jobs because there is a shortage, but quit cos the job is hell.

Or you might just be really bad in interviews and with people. Because I couldn't get onto a single graduate scheme either. I would suggest trying with smaller / local companies.

Why? What next?
Original post by oldboy2007

Do you mind me asking you what you do instead of teaching now? I'm looking to get QTS after I finish my degree, but I don't want to teach in schools either, thinking of offering private tuition, so I was just curious.

Sorry OP for hijacking your post :P
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by study beats
wtf hows that even possible ?? are you sure your applying properly?

a 2.1 in mechanical engineering definitely means your fixed for life mate , dont understand how you are jobless

I graduated in physics three years ago and never got anything more than a warehouse job.
You're kidding?

This isn't that unusual. Why do you think people are voting for Jeremy Corbyn? :s-smilie:
Original post by asmuse123
Did you do a placement during university? Any internships? Volunteering? What societies did you join? I've heard employers like to know about these things.

No placement. I did volunteering, like charity work which was feeding the homeless and sponsored activities. I joined many societies at uni including cultural ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No placement. I did volunteering, like charity work which was feeding the homeless and sponsored activities. I joined many societies at uni including cultural ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not bad. You should've done a placement. Did you join an Engineering society?
Original post by asmuse123
Not bad. You should've done a placement. Did you join an Engineering society?

Most of the people who applied for placements didn't get them. And the society was more of a social thing. Didn't do that much anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending