The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Squishy
Do you think Oxbridge should favour the children of alumni who give generously to the university? Because I think all the top American universities practise this discrimination, and they do so quite openly.

I dont think they have a practice of discrimination in favour of alumni who contribute specifically but they definately have a system of discrimination in favour of the children of alumni - which i find rather strange, but then again theres a lot of 'positive' discrimination in US universities.(Count yourself extremely lucky if youre anything other than white as it boosts your chances of getting in immediately.)
Reply 41
not sure if this is totally relevent - my PS had a VERY small paragraph - a few lines on my interest in geogo, the rest was my extra curic coz I do soooo much, and I wouldn't want to go anywhere that wasn't interested in my extra curic, and yeh, well I got an offer
emzie
not sure if this is totally relevent - my PS had a VERY small paragraph - a few lines on my interest in geogo, the rest was my extra curic coz I do soooo much, and I wouldn't want to go anywhere that wasn't interested in my extra curic, and yeh, well I got an offer

Evidently you'll have been rejected from Cambridge without interview :wink:
Reply 43
My personal statement was full of extra-curricular (but still academic) activties. I honestly reckon that gave me a serious advantage over my fellow applicants. Every teacher who read my personal statement was like WTF! Where do you find the time - this is impossible.
englishstudent
There are plenty of people at Cambridge who are sociable, have other interests and are hard working I am sure.

But the point I am making is that when a candidate is sitting in his or her interview she should not be judged on her interest in D of E, her hours of voluntary service or indeed her ability to cook chocolate chip brownies. The only thing she should be judged on (and compared with other candidates by) is her talent, aptitude and potential for her chosen academic subject.

Fact

Adam

See mate you are wrong on two counts there
Firstly you say there are plenty of people who have the qualities which make for the best possible student, and frankly individual.
Then you go onto say that they shouldn't be selected on this basis.
See that's a bit of a cack argument.

Secondly it isn't fact. It is in no way shape or form a fact. I'm a science student - we deal in facts. As an english student you should be more careful about using that word.
J
foolfarian
See mate you are wrong on two counts there
Firstly you say there are plenty of people who have the qualities which make for the best possible student, and frankly individual.
Then you go onto say that they shouldn't be selected on this basis.
See that's a bit of a cack argument.

Secondly it isn't fact. It is in no way shape or form a fact. I'm a science student - we deal in facts. As an english student you should be more careful about using that word.
J

I think it would be foolish to get your knickers in a twist over this one. All I am saying is that Cambridge admissions will look at academics and not at a person's extra curricular tiddlywink habits.
Reply 46
foolfarian
I'm a science student - we deal in facts.
J

Well if we are getting all fastidious over this then scientists dont deal in facts either: you deal in hypotheses that fit the evidence :tongue: just about the only people who deal in actual facts are mathematicians... :rolleyes:
jools, not trying to be rude (well, possibly I am)

but you go on about extra curricular activities ALL THE TIME.....you seem to spend almost as much time talking about them as you do in doing them...!
crana

but you go on about extra curricular activities ALL THE TIME.....you seem to spend almost as much time talking about them as you do in doing them...!

Yeah, from your website I can see why you might have an extra-curricular chip on your shoulder.

I am sure all that will serve you well in life. But I still sincerely doubt whether that type of thing would help anyone get into Cambridge (other than subject related extra-curricular if you see what I mean).
englishstudent
But I still sincerely doubt whether that type of thing would help anyone get into Cambridge (other than subject related extra-curricular if you see what I mean).

A lot of my extra-curriculer activities were subject-related (eg engineering education scheme, community service teaching maths at local primary school)

However the interviewers also seemed very interested in my performing arts.
figgetyfig
A lot of my extra-curriculer activities were subject-related (eg engineering education scheme, community service teaching maths at local primary school)

However the interviewers also seemed very interested in my performing arts.

All I know is what I have experienced and what others I know have experienced. I had two academic interviews where we talked about nothing but English Lit. That's it. Zip. Then though I have a general admissions interview. I was asked about English for some of it (even though he was a NatSci man :confused: ) After that he asked why I was attracted to the college. I then brought up extra-curricular. All I am saying is that if the two English interviewers had said ok - we definitely want this person, the other guy would not have turned round and brought up any extra-curricular issues.

Of course extra-curricular stuff counts. But when Cambridge bring in new students they do so for academic reasons - not because that person will help them win college rugby.

The best example I can think of is a friend who won a choral scholarship to King's Cambridge (he is damn good at singing) and was then rejected on his academics. Admittedly I don't know how - he had 7 A* and 2 As at GCSE and 4 AS As and (now) 3 As at A2! He interviewed badly though he said. They go for academic talent - all else is secondary.

Having said that, the extra-curricular things are great ways to break the ice in an interview. Perhaps some people use them for that purpose.
Reply 51
From a Will Straw (former president of the Oxford University Students' Union) column in The Guardian:

Swiping aside, there may be a more casual reason for Oxford's predominance. Perhaps it is because Oxford is lagging Cambridge in strict academic terms that makes it so successful. League tables are unable to reveal the intelligence of students away from the examination hall. So, maybe by working its students that little less hard and encouraging other pursuits, Oxford is creating more dynamic individuals, better able to cope with the challenges of tomorrow.

Really makes me wonder how so many people are duped into believing Oxford is one of the premier academic institutions in the world. :rolleyes: I mean, as a tourist spot, it's lovely...
Reply 52
Cambridge do sometimes take extra-curricular things into account. One of our lawyers was playing in an important rugby match before an exam so college lowered his offer to ABB. He got either a First or a 2.i in his exams this year and also plays rugby for the blues.

I know that they don't really consider extra-curricular when you apply, but it's nice to have something to chat generally about at interview and to show that you're a lovely person that they'll get on with for 3 years.
crana

I'm simply trying to help students duped into thinking if they graduate with a 2.1 the world's their oyster and they can get whatever job they want. For the majority of professions this really isn't the case, and other stuff I've done is going to get me a lot further in life than academic credentials.
Invisible
"It's how good you are in your subject and academically in general, that matters. Oxford at least, don't care about anything else."

Again this varies tutor to tutor; I don't think the attitude of EnglishStudent's tutors apply to everyone. My interviews were largely about extracurriculars, another applying had the entire interview about rugby. It's a key reason why myself and others with much lower grades got in and AAAA/AAAAA students rejected for the same subject/college. I very much doubt your snooker accolades are going to be 100% ignored.
Invisible
Maybe after University, it's a different kettle of fish, of course.

Yes I should've stated this is much more important for life after graduation (and undergraduate internships) than when applying in the first place.
Reply 55
Invisible
Well I agree to an extent, it probably depends on what you're applying for and as you said, the person interviewing you.

For competitive degrees like Medicine/Law, it probably is more relevant/important than others.

Possibly. I wasn't asked at all about my extra-curricular activities really. They were interested (briefly) in what I was planning for my gap year, although in fact what I told them I was planning was completely different from what I ended up doing. Most of the interview was "So you think you can do science? Show me." It was medical-related, but quite a lot of just pure biology.
englishstudent
I think it would be foolish to get your knickers in a twist over this one. All I am saying is that Cambridge admissions will look at academics and not at a person's extra curricular tiddlywink habits.

But again you are wrong - "Cambridge admissions will look at academics and not at a person's extra curricular tiddlywink habits". You are totally wrong because we all know that alot of people get in due to extracurricular activities. How else do you reason that so many people are talented sportsmen/women.
Funnily enough i know someone who got in who put tiddlywinks as an interest. it was just a handy way of drawing attention to himself.
Lets face it, some tutors will care nothing for extra stuff, but a great deal do care.
I know this because i have been part of training the admissions interviewers.
They are instructed to focus in on hobbies sports etc. I mean how can you have 2/3 interviews and only ever talk about academia. Its not a test, they won't ask everyone a question and grade you. If you can talk about something interesting, or show other talents then they will pick you out.

I for example had (when i applied) 3A*, 4A, 3B (GCSE) to my name and was on for AABC for A level. I however had a load of extra stuff to my name. Hence why i got in, and some boring feck with straight A* GCSE and straight A at a level didnt get in

And my 'knickers' certainly aren't in a twist. It frankly no longer affects me. But I know that Uni wouldn't have been half as much fun if it was full of anal lamos (like what im now guessing you are).

J
jamesvb
Well if we are getting all fastidious over this then scientists dont deal in facts either: you deal in hypotheses that fit the evidence :tongue: just about the only people who deal in actual facts are mathematicians... :rolleyes:

Ah but surely a fact is only a hypotheses yet to be proved wrong?
foolfarian
But again you are wrong - "Cambridge admissions will look at academics and not at a person's extra curricular tiddlywink habits". You are totally wrong because we all know that alot of people get in due to extracurricular activities. How else do you reason that so many people are talented sportsmen/women.
Funnily enough i know someone who got in who put tiddlywinks as an interest. it was just a handy way of drawing attention to himself.
Lets face it, some tutors will care nothing for extra stuff, but a great deal do care.
I know this because i have been part of training the admissions interviewers.
They are instructed to focus in on hobbies sports etc. I mean how can you have 2/3 interviews and only ever talk about academia. Its not a test, they won't ask everyone a question and grade you. If you can talk about something interesting, or show other talents then they will pick you out.

I for example had (when i applied) 3A*, 4A, 3B (GCSE) to my name and was on for AABC for A level. I however had a load of extra stuff to my name. Hence why i got in, and some boring feck with straight A* GCSE and straight A at a level didnt get in

And my 'knickers' certainly aren't in a twist. It frankly no longer affects me. But I know that Uni wouldn't have been half as much fun if it was full of anal lamos (like what im now guessing you are).

J

Excellently put.

*Awaits "No you're wrong, my admissions tutor said he doesn't care less therefore Cambridge University do not care less - FACT" response*
foolfarian
But I know that Uni wouldn't have been half as much fun if it was full of anal lamos (like what im now guessing you are).

J

Yep - I am a loser, totally. I don't do anything but work. No, in fact it struck me, out GCSE grades are identical. Also I got AABC at AS and AAA at A2. So not straight A*s and As.

I played rugby, football, cricket, squash and tennis for the school over the past three years. I have been in 4 plays in my 7 years there. I have done voluntary service. I have gone out most Saturday nights (it was a boarding school :rolleyes: ). I've written for the school magazine. I have debated. So basically if you are gonna make half-baked, insulting assumptions about me, you can piss off.

All I am saying (and still saying) - and I'm not the only one, is that Cambridge look purely for academic talent. Find me one place on an admissions website where they ask people to apply because of sporting aptitude. I actually bet you can't. All you need to apply is a strong academic record and a willingness to learn. That is what you're judged on. Nothing else. No - not even tiddlywinks. It may be a useful extra but to stand out, you need to stand out academically. Apart from anything else most universities know that personal statements are largely exaggerated bullshit!