The Student Room Group

Why K100 has different undergraduate titles in different universities?

This is confuding me..

Why K100 has different undergraduate titles in different universities!!
Some universities call it a Architecure BA (Hons) as in University of Brighton while some call it Architecture BSc (Hons) as in University of East London (UEL).

Are they the same..??
Original post by hamhd70
This is confuding me..

Why K100 has different undergraduate titles in different universities!!
Some universities call it a Architecure BA (Hons) as in University of Brighton while some call it Architecture BSc (Hons) as in University of East London (UEL).

Are they the same..??

No two degrees are identical. Ucas course codes are assigned by ucas though- so you can end up with a lot of different titles at different universities for the same code.

Whether a degree is a BA or a BSc also tells you nothing about the course content. Some universities just decided to use one or the other in a committee at some point in the past.

Look at the details of the modules and examples of student work and ARB/RIBA course reviews to understand the differences between courses.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
No two degrees are identical. Ucas course codes are assigned by ucas though- so you can end up with a lot of different titles at different universities for the same code.

Whether a degree is a BA or a BSc also tells you nothing about the course content. Some universities just decided to use one or the other in a committee at some point in the past.

Look at the details of the modules and examples of student work and ARB/RIBA course reviews to understand the differences between courses.

Thanks for the reply sir.

Apart from degree title, can we assume that courses with the ucas number will somehow have the same content outline/ idea (slightly different between universities) hence the same ucas code?
Original post by hamhd70
Thanks for the reply sir.

Apart from degree title, can we assume that courses with the ucas number will somehow have the same content outline/ idea (slightly different between universities) hence the same ucas code?

A) I'm not a man
B) no you can't assume that. As I explained you need to look at the course content to understand whether courses are very different or not
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
A) I'm not a man
B) no you can't assume that. As I explained you need to look at the course content to understand whether courses are very different or not

A) Ooops !! Sorry.
B) Thanks for your help.
The main thing for architecture courses is to check it's ARB accredited and gives RIBA Part 1 exemption (the former may not be necessary, but the latter definitely is if you plan to become an architect!). This will ensure it meets the necessary requirements to continue your training to become a professional architect (as otherwise you won't have technically begun it yet :tongue: )

The courses that have those requirements will be somewhat similar due to the specifications to meet the requirements, but each course will have different emphases and "flavours" depending on the research/professional interests of the faculty at the providing institution.
Reply 7
Original post by freya24
Read my blog

You haven't updated your blog since 2014?
Reply 8
Original post by Doonesbury
You haven't updated your blog since 2014?

Campaigning to change the architecture education system was taking up too much time and energy, but my book, Architecture "Education" was published recently in paperback. It has been purchased by several architecture institution in the UK and abroad. Sadly nothing has changed in the way we train our architects since the 1950s when the course was established. I know because I know new qualified and retired architects. They all say the same thing - that architecture schools are damaging to a person's mental health and are not fit for purpose.

[Mod edit: amazon link removed - please don't use TSR to advertise.]
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending