Lee Chaolan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey, like many people here I'll soon be starting A-level maths and like some people further maths, and I'm curious as to what to buy. In not renting from my sixth form as I'll be doing something maths related after anyway, so I'm buying one. The question is - do I need only 1 good calculator with graphing functions, or do I need two? I honestly don't know whether graphing calculators do the job of a normal one as well. If so, could anyone recommend any good regular calculators (I already have ordered a graphics one). Thank you
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sugoi_Sugoi)
Hey, like many people here I'll soon be starting A-level maths and like some people further maths, and I'm curious as to what to buy. In not renting from my sixth form as I'll be doing something maths related after anyway, so I'm buying one. The question is - do I need only 1 good calculator with graphing functions, or do I need two? I honestly don't know whether graphing calculators do the job of a normal one as well. If so, could anyone recommend any good regular calculators (I already have ordered a graphics one). Thank you
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-FX-99.../dp/B0034BAQS8

Comes up a lot.
benjo456
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would highly recommend the Casio FX 991 EX classwiz version.

It isnt a graphing calculator and so is only about £20, but the features such as the better screen, calculus, quadratic and cubic solver and the stats distributions make it an essential tool.
benjo456
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Its good but the EX classwizz version is much better at only a small higher price.
Cholesterol
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would recommend:
- 'SHARP EL-W531', which is the one I use; this one costs ≈ £12.00
- 'CASIO fx-85GT PLUS' which is the one most people use (for GCSE 'and' A-Level Maths and is standard); this one costs ≈ £12.00
Lee Chaolan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I take I do need two, thank you for the recommendations my friends
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You don't need to buy a graphing calculator - most unis don't allow these in their exams (including STEM/quantitative fields). Outside of exams, if there's a problem that could be considered using a graphing calculator, you'll just do on MATLAB instead (which is better anyway).

Just get a standard calculator and borrow/rent a graphing one from your uni. I've literally never used the graphing calculator I bought after secondary school, except out of boredom (and once I actually learned the basics of MATLAB you couldn't PAY me to go back to using one of those things )

(this also applies to any calculator with symbolic calculation ability that aren't necessarily graphing calculators - these are generally disallowed in exams and it's easier and nicer doing this kind of work in MATLAB/MAPLE/Mathematica)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (654)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (824)
42.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (380)
19.54%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (87)
4.47%

Watched Threads