Turn on thread page Beta

Which type of headphones do you prefer? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for some headphones, and was just interested in which type people prefer? I think some look really stupid.. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    What are you doing with them ? Walking around, sitting at home, recording ?

ReputationRep:
    I just bought the Sony MDR-ED31lp's this week. I found them quite difficult to get hold of - Sony shop was the best place (amazon have a waiting period of 4 to 6 weeks) a bit pricey but i think they're worth it.

What's your budget?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    What are you doing with them ? Walking around, sitting at home, recording ?
    Sitting at a desk working.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    What's your budget?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Surfing Hamster)
    Sitting at a desk working.

Get the big cans then. You'll look like a ****, but the sound is soooooo much better.

ReputationRep:
    I like big headphones. The smaller ones slip out my ears and make them ache.

ReputationRep:
    Get some Seinheisser MX500's. A bit pricey, but are arguably, in terms of sound quality, the best in-ears you can get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    Get some Seinheisser MX500's. A bit pricey, but are arguably, in terms of sound quality, the best in-ears you can get.
    They lack bass so i've heard and the finish is questionable.

ReputationRep:
    If its for Walkman I'd make three suggestions. Firstly, they're all Sony, but theirs a choice based on budget and preference.

1) Cheap in ear ones: http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...roductId=99726 OR http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...roductId=99747 Both great and good value, they carry a lot of bass and I used to use these all the time.

2) Mid range, good sound: http://www.sony.co.uk/PageView.do?si...EA+WalkmanSony W.ear: I use the first generation version of these at the mo-they're ace. Not too much bass but great clarity. I think the new ones just look different. About £20-30.

3) Top of the range Sony in-ear phones: have to be seen to be believed-they have an in ear bud which obscures all outside sound and carries huge amounts of bass. Like having a rave around your head constantly, but about £35 online, so I haven't bought my own yet. http://www.sony.co.uk/PageView.do?si...%2FHEA+Walkman

These are my picks anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I always get neckbands, good for exercise and you don't look like a fool.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer open back type. I currently have a pair of £70 Philips HP890s but I want to upgrade to the £250 Senheiser 650's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I prefer open back type. I currently have a pair of £70 Philips HP890s but I want to upgrade to the £250 Senheiser 650's.
    My last pair were £15, before that £7 and before that £3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    My last pair were £15, before that £7 and before that £3.
    I an ab audiophile though I know of people who have spent £15,000 on a pair of headphones! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I an ab audiophile though I know of people who have spent £15,000 on a pair of headphones! :cool:
    :eek: That's like...loads.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah my first gen Sony W.ears cost me £23 at Manchester Airport 15mths ago. They were just about to be replaced by the second gen ones, so were discounted. Still, I don't think I could do without them.

ReputationRep:
    For portability, Sennheiser MX500s (£29.99)
    Slightly less portability, better sound Koss KSC-50 (£19.99)
    For ultimate listening experience at home/studio monitoring AKG K240 Studio Monitors (£99.99)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)
    For portability, Sennheiser MX500s (£29.99)
    Slightly less portability, better sound Koss KSC-50 (£19.99)
    For ultimate listening experience at home/studio monitoring AKG K240 Studio Monitors (£99.99)
    I paid £16 for my MX500's :rolleyes: You should give Richersounds a try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    :eek: That's like...loads.
    Yep but don't forget these people have amplifers worth £20k, CD players worth £20k etc. Its a stupid amount of money, I consider my system to be expensive and that is only worth around £1200.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I've found some first generation w.ear 'phones on Kelkoo for £15. Bargain! Sony MDRQ33LPS is the real name.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.