The Student Room Group

Writing a personal statement after changing your mind about what you want to do?

I take Maths, Biology and Chemistry and had hoped to do medicine. I had planed to take a gap year so have not applied through UCAS to university. After taking my exams, I feel like my grades won't be very good and have changed my mind about medicine. I would like to study a course which is politics based. I have decided to go through clearing. My problems are that if I write a personal statement, it will be about something that I have no experience with (since all my experience was geared towards medicine) and I was wondering if you can apply through clearing and defer your place (since I already have things planned for my gap year). Please help, I am very confused
Original post by phart99
I take Maths, Biology and Chemistry and had hoped to do medicine. I had planed to take a gap year so have not applied through UCAS to university. After taking my exams, I feel like my grades won't be very good and have changed my mind about medicine. I would like to study a course which is politics based. I have decided to go through clearing. My problems are that if I write a personal statement, it will be about something that I have no experience with (since all my experience was geared towards medicine) and I was wondering if you can apply through clearing and defer your place (since I already have things planned for my gap year). Please help, I am very confused

You can't generally defer a place through clearing
Have you tried extra ?

I was sitting on 5 rejections and decided my original choice wasn't for me.

I found my ideal course and emailed the admissions manager directly. One asking if there was still places and two if I could send my personal statement directly to them as my ucas doesn't reflect the course I want to do

I still submitted my ucas to them but sent my ps
Separately.

My undergrad ended up being the greatest time of my life and my postgraduate starts in a couple of months!

Try the school directly the send a new personal statement x good luck x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending