Retaking year 12 or going into year 13?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
Lucofthewoods
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I got straight A*'s at GCSE but for my AS levels this year I didn't revise at all and I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Spanish. I'm aware that I'm going to fail and don't tell me to wait until results because I left SO many questions completely blank in my exams, especially maths and chemistry. At best I think I could get C, D, E, U with the U in maths meaning I would HAVE to drop it which I don't really want to do but I could live with. If I was to get these grades would it be better to go into year 13 with the CDE or re take the whole year (just sounds like a nightmare however). I think if I got those grades also I won't get any uni offers. My other problem being I want to do science at uni so I'm thinking I kind of need maths (not 100% necessary for biology but it is for chemistry).
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lucofthewoods)
So I got straight A*'s at GCSE but for my AS levels this year I didn't revise at all and I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Spanish. I'm aware that I'm going to fail and don't tell me to wait until results because I left SO many questions completely blank in my exams, especially maths and chemistry. At best I think I could get C, D, E, U with the U in maths meaning I would HAVE to drop it which I don't really want to do but I could live with. If I was to get these grades would it be better to go into year 13 with the CDE or re take the whole year (just sounds like a nightmare however). I think if I got those grades also I won't get any uni offers. My other problem being I want to do science at uni so I'm thinking I kind of need maths (not 100% necessary for biology but it is for chemistry).
Do some research into what degrees you d like and see if they d accept a resitted year.
Σ 𝐒𝐈𝐆𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍 σ
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
If I was in your state I personally would have a big discussion with your personal tutor or whoever in charge of the sixth form about redoing Year 12 again. If you do, redo Year 12 again have in mind the seriousness of revision and if you work harder then you previously did you should ace the exams next time around (Because you know, CDE without any revision is better than what a lot of others get you know). My friend is leaving my current sixth form to go elsewhere to redo his year 12, not because he failed but because he realised he has chosen the wrong a levels so it is doable.

In terms of how universities will look at this, some will not like it, some will ask for higher grades than what they originally they were asking for and some will simply not care.

Alternatively, you could enter Year 13 but if you didn't do so well in your AS chances are you are not going to do well in your A2 either - so consider redoing year 12.

But that is my opinion and how I would personally deal with the situation
BTAnonymous
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I think you should resit if you get those anticipated results.

I'm in year 12 and finished my Physics and Chemistry AS course but I'm doing the new linear specification so I only did internals this year. Going into year 13 with a poor understanding of AS Chemistry if a bad idea imo. Looking briefly at the spec, almost everything builds upon AS chemistry in A2 so you really need to nail AS first before proceeding into year 13. Same with Biology I suppose.

Secondly, you said that you don't really need Biology but may need maths? What course is it? If it's a chemistry course I strongly suggest carrying on with maths in AS and A2 as my sister struggled with Chem at university as she wasn't very maths proficient (she failed her first year btw....).

Just think of it like this. Carry onto A2 and potentially hurt your grades further, inevitably impeding your chances on going to your chosen Universities or resitting to get another chance of getting good grades to have a shot in 2 years time at getting into some good universities.

So in case I haven't made it clear, resit year 12.
southbound
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I got BBCE at AS in Chem, Bio, Business and Maths, the E was in maths so i dropped it and i still managed to get offers from York, Newcastle, Nottingham, Loughborough and Lincoln to study chemistry Bsc (They all just asked for chemistry and another science or maths, i think). it just depends whether you're doing linear courses (which i am) and whether you think you'll be able to prove yourself enough for your teachers to boost your predicted grade.
rahmed0504
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I am in the exact same position as you currently as I got my internal mock results last week, I am doing 3 out of 4 of the same subjects as you at A level and have the same GCSE track record. I have no idea what to do as the idea of repeating year 12 is unappealing to me however I feel as if it is now the only option left
UnknownPerson#13
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Im in a similar situation, Im hearing a lot of different opinions from teachers and tutors. I got two C's and an E in biology but I want to take Biology at Uni, I was all ready to resit As biology so I can get a better score, this also means I could focus on my other two A levels but my careers counsellor said that some Unis might see the fact I re-sat As biology and have a bad impression of me and I wanted to see if anyone had and past experiences or knows if this actually makes that much of a difference, especially if My tutor can write in my reference that I had a viral infection on the day of my exams.
hannah tchibinda
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
How was Uni?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (128)
67.37%
No (40)
21.05%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.58%

Watched Threads