The Student Room Group

Woman driver arrested after 'car ploughs into families gathering for Eid prayers near

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Wtf
Anti-Muslim hate/terrorist attacks are increasing at a shocking rate
Some people are really f*cked up in the head
Reply 4
It states not terror related - so let's hope it isn't a deliberate attack.
Reply 5
Nice twisting by the Daily Mail, focussing it on a mosque. Yet all other news sources are saying it occurred near a sports centre/community college.
Reply 6
Original post by Amefish
Nice twisting by the Daily Mail, focussing it on a mosque. Yet all other news sources are saying it occurred near a sports centre/community college.

It is ironic given that the paper is usually known to be criticised for being anti-Islamic.
People's threat perception is such an easy mechanism to manipulate. Here we have a very real road traffic accident. Reports suggest she hit one person accidentally and in panic hit more.

If this were just reported as a simple road traffic accident, it would barely blip on people's radar despite the fact that road traffic deaths are a genuine everyday danger that really we should all take considerably more seriously.

I spent a week at a surfing camp in Australia a couple of years back, and one of my friends was obsessed with the danger of being attacked by a shark. The trip to the beach in the minibus was the most dangerous part of that week.

This incident is likely to spark more conversations about Islam and the far right than any discussion on road traffic safety which is by several magnitudes a much greater danger.
Reply 8
Original post by mashbbk
It is ironic given that the paper is usually known to be criticised for being anti-Islamic.

This is just sensationalism
Reply 9
If it's not terror-related surely this is just a traffic accident? If so, pretty much a non-story based on how many of these happen every day and as per usual it's just the media trying to milk the **** out of things.
Omg no! I hope everyone is okay :frown:
Reply 11
Original post by Inexorably
If it's not terror-related surely this is just a traffic accident? If so, pretty much a non-story based on how many of these happen every day and as per usual it's just the media trying to milk the **** out of things.

Probably so, since I posted the article has had various updates as more information came in.
Daily mail makes me sick
'Comes a week after suspected terrorist Darren Osborne...'
Suspected-wtf do you mean
Supposedly the woman in the car was actually at the prayer and when she went to leave it lost control.

Sounds more like an accident rather than a deliberate act of terror.

Need to wait for more details.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
don't read the daily mail lol.
Reply 15
Original post by JohnGreek
It means that he hasn't been convicted yet. You can't throw around words like 'terrorist' when you've still got court proceedings going on. You and I can treat him as guilty, but we'll have to wait a few months until the courts do the same.

The story smells like sensationalism to me. Let's see what the other news outlets have to say.

Original post by Hazard28
Supposedly the woman in the car was actually at the prayer and when she went to leave it lost control.

Sounds more like an accident rather than a deliberate act of terror.

Need to wait for more details.

Posted from TSR Mobile

From unofficial reports, I think it's quite reasonable to conclude it's an accident.
a newspaper is a business and therefore they are trying to sell a marketable commodity. A traffic incident is not going to do that unless they can manipulate the story into something out of the ordinary. Moral panic is a proven sales tactic even if it is immoral
Reply 17
Hope everyone recovers. Eid Mubarak to all.
It's just an accident, hopefully everyone recovers isnhallah
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Anti-Muslim hate/terrorist attacks are increasing at a shocking rate

Not terrorism-related.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Islamophobic bigots should be locked up for the safety of the community.

so anyone that criticizes Islam should be locked up? or people who have views counter to your own?

Quick Reply