AQA RST4A 27th June 2017 Watch

PsychDK
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey guysss,

So this is the final philosophy exam for me; I'm doing Life, Death and Beyond..any thoughts?

How you getting on with the revision?

Good luck for Tuesday guys!
PPEWannabe
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PsychDK)
Hey guysss,

So this is the final philosophy exam for me; I'm doing Life, Death and Beyond..any thoughts?

How you getting on with the revision?

Good luck for Tuesday guys!
Feel like I don't know enough and in enough detail ahaha. How are you feeling? What are your, or your teacher's, predictions?
PsychDK
Rep:
?
(Original post by PPEWannabe)
Feel like I don't know enough and in enough detail ahaha. How are you feeling? What are your, or your teacher's, predictions?
At this point I'm trying to learn 3 modules between tonight and tomorrow..my teacher has predicted nature and value of human life and potentially it could be between importance of present life and death and beyond.

I actually hope importance of present life comes up most because that's the one I'm solid on😂

What were your predictions?
PPEWannabe
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
At this point I'm trying to learn 3 modules between tonight and tomorrow..my teacher has predicted nature and value of human life and potentially it could be between importance of present life and death and beyond.

I actually hope importance of present life comes up most because that's the one I'm solid on😂

What were your predictions?
Yeah, we were thinking nature and value. I really hate the importance of present/after life though haha.

What points would you make for that essay??
PsychDK
Rep:
?
Yeah, we were thinking nature and value. I really hate the importance of present/after life though haha.

What points would you make for that essay??
For nature and value- I'd bring in the idea that we are humans endowed with the soul given to us by God which is where our value comes from. Reasoning, rationalising and free will has already been endowed within the soul that God gave us.

Then start talking about Genesis - fallen nature and the damned and the elect. - could also bring in how we have dominion/stewardship over animals-anthropocentric vs ecocentric.

Then go straight to Augustine and his points that we don't have the chance for redemption because our lives have been given to us, not us having a choice to choose how we live our lives- link with John Calvin and predestination and free will - sheep and the goats..

Then bringing in Aquinas and his universal salvation that everybody will be saved blah blah..and that we all have the chance to be redeemed as fallen nature was what tainted our relationship with God but Jesus came to repair our relationship..

Then talk about secularist- Aristotle, Dawkins, Darwin, sarte etc etc.

CONCLUDE.
maggie43
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm not revising death And beyond. I hate it. What would you say for secular perspectives on nature and value of human life?

For Religious perspectives are you only going to mention Christian perspective?
PsychDK
Rep:
?
(Original post by maggie43)
I'm not revising death And beyond. I hate it. What would you say for secular perspectives on nature and value of human life?

For Religious perspectives are you only going to mention Christian perspective?
I'm so unsure as to revise it or not because I hate eschatology and apocalypse. Like hate it completely.

So far my religious perspective for that question is gonna be from a Christian perspective. I could talk about Hinduism but my mind isn't feeling to add more information because of the time we have in the actual exam.

Secular perspectives that I'm referring to is Aristotle and his Eudaimonia, Sarte and his belief that we don't have a soul, human nature and divine intervention doesn't exist so we increase our own value by having our own moral compass that we follow. And I think Dawkins with his evolutionary thing about the brain and leaving a genetic legacy for the next generation because there is no afterlife. Maybe Bentham and Mill from last year I'll bring back in.

The key point is that there is no afterlife with secularism; AO2 you could bring in these points and say how you disagree and so on so forth.
maggie43
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm so unsure as to revise it or not because I hate eschatology and apocalypse. Like hate it completely.

So far my religious perspective for that question is gonna be from a Christian perspective. I could talk about Hinduism but my mind isn't feeling to add more information because of the time we have in the actual exam.

Secular perspectives that I'm referring to is Aristotle and his Eudaimonia, Sarte and his belief that we don't have a soul, human nature and divine intervention doesn't exist so we increase our own value by having our own moral compass that we follow. And I think Dawkins with his evolutionary thing about the brain and leaving a genetic legacy for the next generation because there is no afterlife. Maybe Bentham and Mill from last year I'll bring back in.

The key point is that there is no afterlife with secularism; AO2 you could bring in these points and say how you disagree and so on so forth.
Oh because I'm self teaching myself this. I'm going to revise only 3 topics out of the four to be on the safe side.
How do you usually answer the 30 marker question
PsychDK
Rep:
?
Oh because I'm self teaching myself this. I'm going to revise only 3 topics out of the four to be on the safe side.
How do you usually answer the 30 marker question
Usually with the 30 markers, I'll refer to the question so if its assess then strengths and weaknesses and then bring in your own opinion or if it's a discuss, they want you to talk about it. AO2 is mainly opinion based because its a 30 marker discussion question so you could start talking about how a philosopher may or may not agree with the above question and then bring in your criticism and thoughts upon it. Like so and so would not agree because... (bring in their philosopy) and then bring in your own opinion/criticism.

Lool, my whole class has been self teaching ourselves this whole weekend so we're all just hoping and praying that it's nature and value.

I'm revising death and beyond to be on the safe side despite the fact that it might not come up.
PPEWannabe
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For nature and value- I'd bring in the idea that we are humans endowed with the soul given to us by God which is where our value comes from. Reasoning, rationalising and free will has already been endowed within the soul that God gave us.

Then start talking about Genesis - fallen nature and the damned and the elect. - could also bring in how we have dominion/stewardship over animals-anthropocentric vs ecocentric.

Then go straight to Augustine and his points that we don't have the chance for redemption because our lives have been given to us, not us having a choice to choose how we live our lives- link with John Calvin and predestination and free will - sheep and the goats..

Then bringing in Aquinas and his universal salvation that everybody will be saved blah blah..and that we all have the chance to be redeemed as fallen nature was what tainted our relationship with God but Jesus came to repair our relationship..

Then talk about secularist- Aristotle, Dawkins, Darwin, sarte etc etc.

CONCLUDE.
Cool, thank you! What about the importance of the present and after life? Because I would hate that question but I think it's quite likely... ahah
szmj
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Cool, thank you! What about the importance of the present and after life? Because I would hate that question but I think it's quite likely... ahah
for religious views (a depth not breadth approach)

christians following teachings of the beatitudes because present life is just a stepping stone until eternal life so by practising self denial you will be gaining eternal life

also jesus teachings - not be focused on materialist things

then judgement reference to parable of the sheep and the goats

secular views:
beginning as how they are a minimalistic perspective
focused more on immediate goals
acquiring wealth, building a family, excelling in a certain area, leaving a legacy, falling in love etc

then secondly existentialism and how they believe you choose to live your own life, only you can set your own goals

thirdly sartre and how he believed we are painfully are and should live authentically

ultimately we are food for worms so leave how you want, could talk about nihilism ultimate meaninglessness of life and carpe diem

and then how even though not religiously motivated society come together for moral co-operation and protect values such as life liberty and pursuit of happiness in us
Mohsin_najafi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
quick question, im doing the rst4a exam tomorrow as well and i just wanted to ask if the AS that we did last year is worth 40% or 50% of our a level.
PsychDK
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mohsin_najafi)
quick question, im doing the rst4a exam tomorrow as well and i just wanted to ask if the AS that we did last year is worth 40% or 50% of our a level.
50% and this exam is 25% because the first a level exam is 25% so therefore as and alevel add up.
PsychDK
Rep:
?
(Original post by szmj)
for religious views (a depth not breadth approach)

christians following teachings of the beatitudes because present life is just a stepping stone until eternal life so by practising self denial you will be gaining eternal life

also jesus teachings - not be focused on materialist things

then judgement reference to parable of the sheep and the goats

maybe could talk about calvin and predestination- present life is not of importance because it doesn't make a difference to our fate as it has already been determined by God before we've lived our lives.

secular views:
beginning as how they are a minimalistic perspective
focused more on immediate goals
acquiring wealth, building a family, excelling in a certain area, leaving a legacy, falling in love etc

then secondly existentialism and how they believe you choose to live your own life, only you can set your own goals

thirdly sartre and how he believed we are painfully are and should live authentically

ultimately we are food for worms so leave how you want, could talk about nihilism ultimate meaninglessness of life and carpe diem

and then how even though not religiously motivated society come together for moral co-operation and protect values such as life liberty and pursuit of happiness in us
The accuracy. My notes are exactly the same as yours on this topic. Preach it right there.
Mohsin_najafi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
50% and this exam is 25% because the first a level exam is 25% so therefore as and alevel add up.
Aight thanks, good luck for tomorrow everyone 🙏🏽
TRASHの男
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey guys, good luck tomorrow.
I'm doing Religious Experience, any predictions or whatever? :P
Uraei
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How did everyone find it?
maggie43
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Uraei)
How did everyone find it?
Ok were we supposed to talk about secular perspectives for part a)
Uraei
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ok were we supposed to talk about secular perspectives for part a)
For Nature and Value, you are only stating religious beliefs.
I'm not sure about Life After Death
maggie43
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Uraei)
For Nature and Value, you are only stating religious beliefs.
I'm not sure about Life After Death
Okay what did you mention for part b
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (68)
15.74%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (44)
10.19%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (81)
18.75%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (61)
14.12%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (46)
10.65%
How can I be the best version of myself? (132)
30.56%

Watched Threads