The Student Room Group

Are Step and UKMT + non-maths A levels sufficient ?

In yr10, with GCSE maths A*, A level Maths A* already taken and currently​ taking full A level Further maths.
My school intends ( yr11 ) for me to continue GCSEs + Step 1 & 2 + UKMT
Sixth form - Step 3 + UKMT + A levels physics, chemistry and computer science.
Is the maths continuation via Step+ UKMT sufficient or should I take another a level in 6th form?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Mickysay
In yr10, with GCSE maths A*, A level Maths A* already taken and currently​ taking full A level Further maths.
Is the maths continuation via Step+ UKMT sufficient or should I take another a level in 6th form?

But you *do* have Maths & FM A-levels.

So yes, your physics, chemistry and computer science is fine.

Note you will be expected to declare your STEP I & II results and Cambridge won't show leniancy for taking them "early".
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
But you *do* have Maths & FM A-levels.

So yes, your physics, chemistry and computer science is fine.

Note you will be expected to declare your STEP I & II results and Cambridge won't show leniancy for taking them "early".

I don't expect leniency for taking my maths early but my concern is that to study maths you have to show continuation of maths study - so is step + ukmt sufficient?
Reply 3
I don't expect leniency for taking my maths early but my concern is that to study maths you have to show continuation of maths study - so is step + ukmt sufficient?

yes.
Reply 4

yh you could also finish all the modules for three a levels there if you want
Reply 5
yes.

Should I consider another a level in 6th form ? If so, what would you suggest? Thanks
Reply 6
Should I consider another a level in 6th form ? If so, what would you suggest? Thanks

On top of the 3 you are doing? No.
Reply 7
Original post by bruh2132
yh you could also finish all the modules for three a levels there if you want

I hadn't considered that! I had thought about redoing the a level maths + FM with a different exam board though! What do you think?
Reply 8
On top of the 3 you are doing? No.

Thanks for your advice
Reply 9
I hadn't considered that! I had thought about redoing the a level maths + FM with a different exam board though! What do you think?

that would be quite a waste of time pretty much 3 A level in maths is good enough so maybe commit one year to finishing off the modules and that's fine
Reply 10
that would be quite a waste of time pretty much 3 A level in maths is good enough so maybe commit one year to finishing off the modules and that's fine

Sorry, the modules I haven't chosen can be taken along with C3&4 again to get the 3rd maths a level?
Is that what you meant? If so, I didn't know you could do that!
Reply 11
Sorry, the modules I haven't chosen can be taken along with C3&4 again to get the 3rd maths a level?

well basically if you do all 18 modules you get 3 full A levels, Maths Further maths, and Further Additional Maths look at the Edexcel specification it explains it well but getting 3 A*s would look really good
Reply 12

Further Additional Maths - you can do the remaining 6 modules and get an extra A-level. It's not needed though. STEP, etc is more than enough.
When i was in y 10 i was eating mud, mans doing A level further maths
Reply 14
well basically if you do all 18 modules you get 3 full A levels, Maths Further maths, and Further Additional Maths look at the Edexcel specification it explains it well but getting 3 A*s would look really good

I didn't know that! These are the modules I've done :-
Maths - S1, M1, C1, C2, C3 & C4
Further maths - S2, M2, M3, FP1, FP2 & FP3

Is the 3rd a level still possible with remaining modules or will I need to resit C4, FP2 or FP3 ?

Which exam board are you with and which A level units have you done? I'm guessing C1-4, FP1-3, S1-2, M1-2 and one more so far?

Is the 3rd a level still possible with remaining modules or will I need to resit C4, FP2 or FP3 ?

you can't resit them and have them count for your additional further grade, but you can do S3-4, M4-5 and D1-2 for a 6 unit A level
Reply 17
Original post by k.russell
Which exam board are you with and which A level units have you done? I'm guessing C1-4, FP1-3, S1-2, M1-2 and one more so far?

WJEC and M3
Reply 18

Edexcel:
D1, D2, S3, S4, M4, M5
Reply 19
WJEC and M3

Ah, not an option then.

Just as well...
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending