The Student Room Group

gap year to improve my grade to get to oxbridge

I know the chances are lower but I was wondering if it was possible to take another year for my a-levels to get the grades required I haven't applied yet but was wondering if I should
Original post by randomusername3
I know the chances are lower but I was wondering if it was possible to take another year for my a-levels to get the grades required I haven't applied yet but was wondering if I should

You would have to check, but many places specify that you should take your courses over the space of two years only, so a gap year wouldn't work in your favour.

Oxbridge isnt my exact area of expertise but this is what they both have to say about resits:
The usual expectation is that candidates will complete the A-levels specified in their applications within a two year period. Where a candidate completes a relevant A-level before they apply, this will be taken into account.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/entrance-requirements?wssl=1

Your application is unlikely to be adversely affected by your resitting one or two modules we appreciate that even very capable students may have a ‘bad day’ when an exam doesn’t go quite to plan.
However, there would be concern about your potential to be successful at Cambridge if you needed to resit numerous exams, particularly if only a marginal improvement could be achieved. This is because once at the University, students are regularly assessed by exam and there's no opportunity to resit any exams.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/find-out-more/faq
Reply 3

No. Only if there are extenuating circumstances to account for having to retake the year. Eg serious illness.

Another reason can be if you are taking *different* A-levels because you change your mind about the subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending