The Student Room Group

ARABIC DEGREE: year abroad - parents not convinced.

Hi. I've finished my GCSEs and have been thinking about what I might want to do at Uni. I'd quite like to do French and Arabic because both languages are just so useful and the combination fascinates me. The thing is, my mum is not too comfortable with the thought me going on a year abroad to the Middle East (I'm a girl), because of the society's attitude towards women and the political situation there; but naturally the year abroad component is crucial in almost every degree involving Arabic. I am aware that the region is a hugely culturally diverse and fascinating place, so I'm not trying to generalise in any size, shape or form but undoubtably the attitudes towards women will be different.
HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS:
Does anyone, particularly if you're female (but all perspectives would be handy), have any hands on experience with studying abroad in the Middle East, and what the cultural change is like - also how did you handle this?
Did you enjoy it, and what would you recommend?
Did you feel safe?
Another thing, out of interest, is fasting during Ramadan a requirement when in the region?
Above all else, what things do you think I should say to convince my parents that it would be fine (if it would be)? After all, the language is so valuable and I would relish the opportunity to learn about the culture and history too.

Please be absolutely honest, as I need to know if it's realistically a good idea.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! Have a lovely Summer.
Original post by no2573571
Hi. I've finished my GCSEs and have been thinking about what I might want to do at Uni. I'd quite like to do French and Arabic because both languages are just so useful and the combination fascinates me. The thing is, my mum is not too comfortable with the thought me going on a year abroad to the Middle East (I'm a girl), because of the society's attitude towards women and the political situation there; but naturally the year abroad component is crucial in almost every degree involving Arabic. I am aware that the region is a hugely culturally diverse and fascinating place, so I'm not trying to generalise in any size, shape or form but undoubtably the attitudes towards women will be different.
HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS:
Does anyone, particularly if you're female (but all perspectives would be handy), have any hands on experience with studying abroad in the Middle East, and what the cultural change is like - also how did you handle this?
Did you enjoy it, and what would you recommend?
Did you feel safe?
Another thing, out of interest, is fasting during Ramadan a requirement when in the region?
Above all else, what things do you think I should say to convince my parents that it would be fine (if it would be)? After all, the language is so valuable and I would relish the opportunity to learn about the culture and history too.

Please be absolutely honest, as I need to know if it's realistically a good idea.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! Have a lovely Summer.

I don't study Arabic, but I know people who have and they all enjoyed their year abroad immensely, nobody ever told me they felt threatened. The ME is a big place, not everywhere is politically unstable - individual universities all have their own exchange programmes, but for example, SOAS Arabic students currently go to Alexandria (Egypt), Nablus (Palestine), Fez (Morocco) or Amman (Jordan) - all of these places are safe. When the Arab Spring was going on and the ME did feel particularly unsafe, a lot of Arabic students went to Israel (which is very safe).

I would also say that you don't need to convince your parents. Who cares if they disapprove, you will be an adult once you go to university - they shouldn't be making decisions for you, and you shouldn't let them.
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
I don't study Arabic, but I know people who have and they all enjoyed their year abroad immensely, nobody ever told me they felt threatened. The ME is a big place, not everywhere is politically unstable - individual universities all have their own exchange programmes, but for example, SOAS Arabic students currently go to Alexandria (Egypt), Nablus (Palestine), Fez (Morocco) or Amman (Jordan) - all of these places are safe. When the Arab Spring was going on and the ME did feel particularly unsafe, a lot of Arabic students went to Israel (which is very safe).

I would also say that you don't need to convince your parents. Who cares if they disapprove, you will be an adult once you go to university - they shouldn't be making decisions for you, and you shouldn't let them.

Hey, there! Thank you so much for your advice. I'll take all of that into account. Have a wonderful day! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending