The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Yea Hi,
I will be applying to medical school for entry in 2004..am a bit worried though. Am definitely thinking of London (everyone wants to get into London)..but which you thinking of applying to?.. What work experience have you got under your belt and how were ur AS and GCSE grades?

Take Care

John
Reply 2
I didnt know everyone wanted to get into London, on the contrary actually!
So far ive done a little work experience in a hopsital, but ive been doing volunteering work mainly.

For gcses's I got 9 A*'s and 2 A's. And for my AS's I got 4 A's in Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths.

I want to apply to Kings, Barts, Imperial and Manchester/ St Georges

What about yourself?
anyone know if UCL has got less people applying to them dis year due to the introduction of the BMAT?
lollipop
I didnt know everyone wanted to get into London, on the contrary actually!
So far ive done a little work experience in a hopsital, but ive been doing volunteering work mainly.

For gcses's I got 9 A*'s and 2 A's. And for my AS's I got 4 A's in Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths.

I want to apply to Kings, Barts, Imperial and Manchester/ St Georges

What about yourself?

Damn girl! You're smart! Congrats on those awesome results! So now that I know my competition (many of my medlink friends have the same sort of results )..I'm a bit worried. I have done a lot of work experience..three weeks in a nursing home, a week in a hospital, 6 weeks at GlaxosmithKline, a week in a pharmacy, a day a week at a homeless shelter for the past 4 months which i intend to continue and a few others pieces of voluntary work. My GCSE results were not great.. 1A* 5A's 5B's and a C. My AS results were not too awesome either ..ABBC in Human Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics respectively.I spoke to my teachers on Friday and I have been predicted AAA (am dropping physiscs as you can guess).

Due to my low grades (due to messing around a lot for the first two terms of the year which shall change).. I may not get into med school. Have you heard that if you do not get in, it is possible to take a science degree at a university with a medical school and transfer to second year medicine if you ace the first year. But I have heard of students with my grades getting into UCL so fingers crossed. i am hoping for UCL, Kings, Queen Mary's and one outside London.

With your grades you should apply to Oxbridge!! Definitely consider it.

Take Care

John
Reply 5
Unregistered
Damn girl! You're smart! Congrats on those awesome results! So now that I know my competition (many of my medlink friends have the same sort of results )..I'm a bit worried. I have done a lot of work experience..three weeks in a nursing home, a week in a hospital, 6 weeks at GlaxosmithKline, a week in a pharmacy, a day a week at a homeless shelter for the past 4 months which i intend to continue and a few others pieces of voluntary work. My GCSE results were not great.. 1A* 5A's 5B's and a C. My AS results were not too awesome either ..ABBC in Human Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics respectively.I spoke to my teachers on Friday and I have been predicted AAA (am dropping physiscs as you can guess).

Due to my low grades (due to messing around a lot for the first two terms of the year which shall change).. I may not get into med school. Have you heard that if you do not get in, it is possible to take a science degree at a university with a medical school and transfer to second year medicine if you ace the first year. But I have heard of students with my grades getting into UCL so fingers crossed. i am hoping for UCL, Kings, Queen Mary's and one outside London.

Take Care

John

Why don't you consider applying to Oxbridge? In your ASs you effectively got ABB, which is very good, if you work hard now you should get AAB/AAA.
Reply 6
Is it wrong that I got ABBC at AS and was uncontrollably happy?? :confused:

I too messed about for pretty much the entire year and I think I got a bit lucky in the exams to escape with the grades I did. Like you, I plan a MAJOR change of work ethic this year and I think that my grades will reflect this in the end. Im fortunate in that I have absolutely no interest in Medicine and thank god that Comp Sci requirements are less than AAA. I agree with Lordy though, you would definitely have a shot at Oxbridge if you fit the "well rounded" person profile they like so much... :biggrin:
Reply 7
Unregistered

Take Care

John

y0, whats this thing ur saying about transferring to the second year of med at a med school if u get in with a science course/Bsc??

Thats pretty good, can you do it in universities in general or only med SCHOOLS e.g. George's ???

which med schools are out there??
Reply 8
Unregistered
Take Care

John

i think the uni's care about more than just grades and your work experience will sound amazing on your cv. That will show that you are extremely committed, more so than someone with a million a's at a-level adn no work experience.

good luck with your application and i hope you get in where you want. You sound like you deserve it.

emma
mustang3k
y0, whats this thing ur saying about transferring to the second year of med at a med school if u get in with a science course/Bsc??

Thats pretty good, can you do it in universities in general or only med SCHOOLS e.g. George's ???

which med schools are out there??

Hey mustang3k wassup,

My careers advisor and the medical director at my local hospital were telling me that you must go to a university with a medical school to be able to do this. Just make a search in google, 'medical schoosl in England' and I think it is the second result that provides a list.

Good luck!

Take care

John

PS - I think you must really amaze your professors in the first year of the BSc year though.
guy's, for anyone applyin to london med schools, make sure your UCAS form is sent off early, and I mean early so you atleast stand a chance of getting an interview. This is where the private/grammar schools win, because they prepare students alot more for the uni application process and they generally send off their application alot more earlier. If your college doesn't, do it yourself!!!

The reason I say this is beacause last year the unis became alot more stringent towards the end of the selection process because they accepted more onto the course at the beginning. There were rumours of students with perfect grades, work experience etc... who were not even admitted to interview. My advice: GET YOUR UCAS FORM OFF EARLY!!!
Conspiracies ----WOOO WOOOO BEEP BEEP (Kuz!), i hope that isnt true cos if so im buggered
Reply 12
Unregistered
Hey mustang3k wassup,

My careers advisor and the medical director at my local hospital were telling me that you must go to a university with a medical school to be able to do this. Just make a search in google, 'medical schoosl in England' and I think it is the second result that provides a list.

Good luck!

Take care

John

PS - I think you must really amaze your professors in the first year of the BSc year though.

wasup, ive just done a search and there seems to be many - all the uni's im applying to have a med school. whats the different between a uni that does medicine and a uni that has a med school, cos nearly all the uni's that ive checked have med schools - bristol, leicester, sheffield...

thanks
Reply 13
I'm starting med school soon (QMUL) and i suggest that anyone who is considering appying to Imperial for medicine should reconsider. The medical school seems ideal because of the reputation, quality and so called prestige. Also the grades offered are reasonable ABB/AAB, but dont be fooled by that. They have like 20 applicants per place and most ppl who get offered a place are heading for 4/5 A's at A-level. Unless you are getting these kind of grades then dont apply there- the competion is far too fierce. I was predicted 3 A's, and though my gcse's werent great, i thought i had plenty of work exp and a good PS. Though I didnt even get an interview.

I dont mean to insult imperial or anything, if you really want to apply there thats ok. I just thought they were misleading into the expectations of any students they interview or offer a place.

Anyway good luck to everyone applying, be prepared for hell cuz its not an experience I'd like to go through again.
yea, i went to the open day and many of the students there had also had interviews for Oxbridge! So if you're good enough to be interviewd for oxbridge then your chances at imperial are good too.

Imperial is a really nice place, in South Kensington and just a walk away from Hyde Park....plus you can live in S.ken for £90 (in Halls) which is relatively cheap with regards to the rest of South Ken.

I think that if you want to apply to Imperial then go for it, theres always that saying about 'the greatest risks we take, is by not risking', or something like that anyway...just bare in mind, this is one of the UCAS choices!!!!!!!! lol

As for Barts, i think its a really nice friendly atmosphere with a good range of ppl. Excellent teaching and great job prospects!
13th Step
I'm starting med school soon (QMUL) and i suggest that anyone who is considering appying to Imperial for medicine should reconsider. The medical school seems ideal because of the reputation, quality and so called prestige. Also the grades offered are reasonable ABB/AAB, but dont be fooled by that. They have like 20 applicants per place and most ppl who get offered a place are heading for 4/5 A's at A-level. Unless you are getting these kind of grades then dont apply there- the competion is far too fierce. I was predicted 3 A's, and though my gcse's werent great, i thought i had plenty of work exp and a good PS. Though I didnt even get an interview.

I dont mean to insult imperial or anything, if you really want to apply there thats ok. I just thought they were misleading into the expectations of any students they interview or offer a place.

Anyway good luck to everyone applying, be prepared for hell cuz its not an experience I'd like to go through again.

LOL..

I've heard that the hardest part of medical school is getting in. That is quite a scary thought. Well done on getting into Queen Mary's by the way. What would you advise someone like myself? I have been unable to log in (username: jndikum) but I have a post above. I am thinking of applying to Queen Mary's myself. How would you suggest I practise for interview and what were the main question you were asked? In addition, would you say my work experience (above) would help strengthen my application ?

Thanks

Take Care

John
Reply 16
jndikum1
LOL..

I've heard that the hardest part of medical school is getting in. That is quite a scary thought. Well done on getting into Queen Mary's by the way. What would you advise someone like myself? I have been unable to log in (username: jndikum) but I have a post above. I am thinking of applying to Queen Mary's myself. How would you suggest I practise for interview and what were the main question you were asked? In addition, would you say my work experience (above) would help strengthen my application ?

Thanks

Take Care

John

I cant say whether the hard part is over (ie getting in) but its definately the hardest thing ive done in my life- in all ways. I would highly recommed QMUL, i think its the most under-rated uni, certainly in london. The interviews are really casual, well mine was, UCL were soo hostile (they have a method of having one person silent through the whole interview- which isnt as easy to deal with as you might think.) QMUL were really friendly and their questions were challenging but they made you feel comforable while you answered.
Your work exp is very good, my advice is to keep up your work at the shelter because most med schools like students that volunteer for long periods of time, its shows great commitment as opposed to work that only lasts a few weeks.
Anyway good luck with your application- hope this helps

Latest

Trending

Trending