Worrying about pregnancy after PROTECTED, safe sex

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
For some reason, even though I am extra careful to put the condom on, and even make sure it has worked afterwards (e.g blowing it up, running it under water to check for leaks etc) I always get this anxiety like I have done something massively wrong, like my girlfriend is going to pregnant.

The last time we had sex the condom worked fine...although I had some kind of ejaculate at the base of my penis...however it was discoloured, and I'm pretty sure it was my girlfriend's ejaculate. Is this normal?

If a condom is used 100% correctly, I know there is still a chance it cannot work. But if I've checked that it has worked afterwards, is that 100% guaranteed?

Obviously, the thing to do is just to wait for my girl's period, but that often leaves me worried and counting off the days.

Is the only way to help this to use another method of contraception? E.g the pill or something else? I still feel like I'd have the same fear (but less) if another method was used. Would this even make much difference to the overall effectiveness of protection?

P.s, do you have any other tips for overcoming this anxiety?
unprinted
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes, it looks like using another - from the sound of it, additional - form of contraception is what you want to do. Yes it would increase the overall effectiveness.

Unless you want a vasectomy (and no responsible doctor is going to agree to giving you one at this point) that decision is up to her, not you, though.
Devify
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As a girl, I get anxious about it quite often and not only do we always use condoms but I'm also on the pill too.

It's very unlikely that she would end up pregnant if the condom worked perfectly. They can only fail if they break, slip off or if you accidentally put *** on the outside of it while putting it on.

I suggest you talk to your girl and see if she is willing to use extra contraception on top. If not, maybe also using the pull out method will keep you a bit more calm.
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
For some reason, even though I am extra careful to put the condom on, and even make sure it has worked afterwards (e.g blowing it up, running it under water to check for leaks etc) I always get this anxiety like I have done something massively wrong, like my girlfriend is going to pregnant.

The last time we had sex the condom worked fine...although I had some kind of ejaculate at the base of my penis...however it was discoloured, and I'm pretty sure it was my girlfriend's ejaculate. Is this normal?

If a condom is used 100% correctly, I know there is still a chance it cannot work. But if I've checked that it has worked afterwards, is that 100% guaranteed?

Obviously, the thing to do is just to wait for my girl's period, but that often leaves me worried and counting off the days.

Is the only way to help this to use another method of contraception? E.g the pill or something else? I still feel like I'd have the same fear (but less) if another method was used. Would this even make much difference to the overall effectiveness of protection?

P.s, do you have any other tips for overcoming this anxiety?
You could discuss these concerns with you GF and see if she would be willing to go on the pill (that's the most common and easy contraception for women).
Using the pill would mean that both methods have to fail at the same time for your gf to become pregnant. That's a very slim chance.
I don't believe there is any equivalent yet for men though so you will have to rely on if you GF is willing to or not.

The risk of a condom failing is very slim tough and most ways it can fail would be obvious to you, especially if you check them after. Although I can understand your concerns the condom method should be enough.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you all so much for your advice. I'll take this on board and see if I can make this a more comfortable experience.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (124)
14.55%
I'm not sure (36)
4.23%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (260)
30.52%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.58%
I'm not a current university student (410)
48.12%

Watched Threads