The Student Room Group

Going to be alone in Sixth Form

I'm not sure if it belongs in GCSE or A-level but I've just finished my GCSEs and am planning on staying on at my school to do A-levels. In my 'friend group' there's about 6 of us. Only recently has one of my closest friends decided to go to college instead of Sixth Form so it leaves just myself staying at our school to do A-levels.
I'm worried that I will be alone in Sixth Form with no friends. My school isn't well known for its outstanding grades therefore it's unlikely that any new students would join our Sixth Form. Everyone already seems to have their friends from middle school meanwhile I'm afraid that they'll look down on me because I'm on my own.
How do I go about making new friends? Is it ok to be alone in Sixth Form?
At the moment I'm just hoping that I'll get so much work that it won't bother me.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
lol
You haven't been there yet so you don't know what its like! There will 99.9% be people you will be able to make friends with and are in the same situation as you! I'm sure you'll find friends! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Retro_bean
I'm not sure if it belongs in GCSE or A-level but I've just finished my GCSEs and am planning on staying on at my school to do A-levels. In my 'friend group' there's about 6 of us. Only recently has one of my closest friends decided to go to college instead of Sixth Form so it leaves just myself staying at our school to do A-levels.
I'm worried that I will be alone in Sixth Form with no friends. My school isn't well known for its outstanding grades therefore it's unlikely that any new students would join our Sixth Form. Everyone already seems to have their friends from middle school meanwhile I'm afraid that they'll look down on me because I'm on my own.
How do I go about making new friends? Is it ok to be alone in Sixth Form?
At the moment I'm just hoping that I'll get so much work that it won't bother me.

Hey, I know how you feel. I am in the same situation. I am shy and I don't have many friends. I was messaging a girl that I have a crush on said that she too will be alone so I might chat to her see if it leads anywhere. I would advise is that you chat to people that you wouldn't normally talk to.
I think you will probably make new ones.
Reply 5
It's fine to be alone in sixth form! I don't really have friends in college, it's a good opportunity to use your break and dinner times to revise.

It's also possible you'll make new friends, so don't worry too much.
...you'll be fine sweetheart.
I can sympathise. At sixth form I was often lonely and I had friends but they had different lessons so therefore we hardly saw each other at school. I took it as a blessing as I hardly got disturbed and got studying more so than at home as no one could distract me.
I'm currently coming to the end of Year 12 and I've survived with no friends. I do chat to some people in class, but I never hang out with anyone. It's great being alone with your thoughts... You'll be fine :smile:
Reply 9
What do you mean alone? You won't be the only person in your sixth form.
Reply 10
Original post by es017
You haven't been there yet so you don't know what its like! There will 99.9% be people you will be able to make friends with and are in the same situation as you! I'm sure you'll find friends! :smile:

Thank u 😊
Reply 11
Original post by 70sGuy
Hey, I know how you feel. I am in the same situation. I am shy and I don't have many friends. I was messaging a girl that I have a crush on said that she too will be alone so I might chat to her see if it leads anywhere. I would advise is that you chat to people that you wouldn't normally talk to.

Thank u :smile:
You'll make new friends, don't worry lol
Reply 13
Original post by Amefish
It's fine to be alone in sixth form! I don't really have friends in college, it's a good opportunity to use your break and dinner times to revise.

It's also possible you'll make new friends, so don't worry too much.

Thank u
Reply 14
Original post by Bang Outta Order
...you'll be fine sweetheart.

Thx :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
I'm currently coming to the end of Year 12 and I've survived with no friends. I do chat to some people in class, but I never hang out with anyone. It's great being alone with your thoughts... You'll be fine :smile:

Reply 16

Glad I could help!
Reply 17

Sorry. Just curious. Why did you choose to call yourself retro???
Don't worry about it. Although I went into sixth form with quite a few people from my high school friendship group we never really spent time together since our timetables hardly ever matched up. Eventually I ended up spending my lunches and some of my frees with a new group of friends. I also learnt to enjoy my own company from time to time.
Reply 19
Original post by byebyekitty
Don't worry about it. Although I went into sixth form with quite a few people from my high school friendship group we never really spent time together since our timetables hardly ever matched up. Eventually I ended up spending my lunches and some of my frees with a new group of friends. I also learnt to enjoy my own company from time to time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending