Yeahwhat
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello,
Medicine is my dream but I don't know whether I will get in. These are my stats:
GCSE'S : 1A* 6A but I achieved a C in English which meant I couldn't apply for many Universities.
AS : No AS (Linear)
A2 (predicited) : 3A. In my real exams I don't think I achived the 3A needed, instead I think I achieved AAB or even possibly ABB.
I applied to Aberdeen, Newcastle, Plymouth and Sheffield. I got two interviews but these eventually also led to rejections. Aberdeen put me on the waiting list.
I was planning on doing a Gap Year but I doubt I can do a Gap year without 3A's. I actually don't know what to do as I don't want to do graduate entry. Medicine is my dream and a course I always find fascinating. I honestly don't see myself in an another course. What should I do
Thanks
Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Boss987)
Hello,
Medicine is my dream but I don't know whether I will get in. These are my stats:
GCSE'S : 1A* 6A but I achieved a C in English which meant I couldn't apply for many Universities.
A2 (predicited) : 3A. In my real exams I don't think I achived the 3A needed, instead I think I achieved AAB or even possibly ABB.
I applied to Aberdeen, Newcastle, Plymouth and Sheffield. I got two interviews but these eventually also led to rejections. Aberdeen put me on the waiting list.
I was planning on doing a Gap Year but I doubt I can do a Gap year without 3A's. I actually don't know what to do as I don't want to do graduate entry. Medicine is my dream and a course I always find fascinating. I honestly don't see myself in an another course. What should I do
Thanks
Apply for medicine with a foundation year,I know Duhram does it and you would get in with ABB with no problem!!
IXB124
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey

I think you should wait until results day and see whether your grades are sufficient to apply during your gap year. If not then a route I would consider would probably be applying to biomed and then doing a post-grad conversion to medicine.

I know it sounds a little bit long but its honestly a route to consider if you have your heart set on medicine.

Stay hopeful though for results day!
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello,
Thanks
This is the Relationships forum dude.

You need AAA, it's as simple as that. See how your results go, if you get that you can take a gap year and re-apply. The C in English will restrict your options a bit, but you got two interviews during this cycle so it's certainly not impossible.

If you don't get the grades...well, realistically the options would be graduate entry or training abroad. Some medical schools will accept resits during a gap year if you have documented extenuating circumstances. Very few will accept post-year 13 resits without good reason.

You could end up getting an offer from Aberdeen still, you never know tbh.
Anonymous1502
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
http://www.medschools.ac.uk/Students...nicalyear.aspx
poppyb787
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous1502)
Apply for medicine with a foundation year,I know Duhram does it and you would get in with ABB with no problem!!
Durham doesn't do medicine any more, their preclinical course has moved to Newcastle
Anonymous1502
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...ation-courses/
This tells you more about medicine with foundation.
Anonymous1502
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by poppyb787)
Durham doesn't do medicine any more, their preclinical course has moved to Newcastle
I don't think that's true I just seen a youtuber who goes to Durham with foundation and he is in his 1st year( Ryhan Hussain)
poppyb787
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous1502)
I don't think that's true I just seen a youtuber who goes to Durham with foundation and he is in his 1st year( Ryhan Hussain)
Sorry, should have clarified. From this September the course moves to Newcastle for new students, not existing ones
Anonymous1502
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by poppyb787)
Sorry, should have clarified. From this September the course moves to Newcastle for new students, not existing ones
Oh,didnt knwo that.But the links I attached lists all the other unis with foundation medicine.
Yeahwhat
Rep:
?
Thanks, guys. It all depends on that one day. (Results day)
Yeahwhat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Democracy)
This is the Relationships forum dude.

You need AAA, it's as simple as that. See how your results go, if you get that you can take a gap year and re-apply. The C in English will restrict your options a bit, but you got two interviews during this cycle so it's certainly not impossible.

If you don't get the grades...well, realistically the options would be graduate entry or training abroad. Some medical schools will accept resits during a gap year if you have documented extenuating circumstances. Very few will accept post-year 13 resits without good reason.

You could end up getting an offer from Aberdeen still, you never know tbh.
Can I apply to foundation medicine in my gap year?
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Can I apply to foundation medicine in my gap year?
Depends if you meet the entry requirements or not. Usually you need to have taken non-science A levels and/or meet criteria for widening participation to medical school:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wik...icine_Programs

http://www.medschools.ac.uk/STUDENTS...nicalyear.aspx
username1405872
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would say getting the grades is the most important to start with. 80% applicants have straight As throughout all exams.

If you get ur results and you don't get a waiting list offer from Aberdeen (who tend to be VERY generous with post deadline offers) I definitely would take a gap year and reapply. I think before coming to Med you have this idea that if you don't get in you are a terrible and flawed human when, in reality, a huge amount of students took a gap year or more just to get in and tbh when are u ever gonna get the same opportunity to travel, see the world and gain some great experience after u start Med school? It's pretty much non stop from there... so maby there is a silver lining. Just don't let this small failure take away ur dream just to 'be in uni' and take a second grade course in ur eyes.

If u decide for graduate entry, one small thing I've noticed is that the stereotypical 'biomed' is not the best option as many in my year and the year above come from very different graduate backgrounds such as history and English. Ive also heard that practical courses such as radiology or nursing will put you in a better position than solid science as you are also experiencing healthcare rather than only theory. But I wld perhaps research this more.

I hope you don't give up because I think Med school is worth the hard work
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by tinababy)
I would say getting the grades is the most important to start with. 80% applicants have straight As throughout all exams.

If you get ur results and you don't get a waiting list offer from Aberdeen (who tend to be VERY generous with post deadline offers) I definitely would take a gap year and reapply. I think before coming to Med you have this idea that if you don't get in you are a terrible and flawed human when, in reality, a huge amount of students took a gap year or more just to get in and tbh when are u ever gonna get the same opportunity to travel, see the world and gain some great experience after u start Med school? It's pretty much non stop from there... so maby there is a silver lining. Just don't let this small failure take away ur dream just to 'be in uni' and take a second grade course in ur eyes.

If u decide for graduate entry, one small thing I've noticed is that the stereotypical 'biomed' is not the best option as many in my year and the year above come from very different graduate backgrounds such as history and English. Ive also heard that practical courses such as radiology or nursing will put you in a better position than solid science as you are also experiencing healthcare rather than only theory. But I wld perhaps research this more.

I hope you don't give up because I think Med school is worth the hard work
Radiography...radiology is a medical specialty, i.e. you need to be a doctor
username1405872
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Radiography...radiology is a medical specialty, i.e. you need to be a doctor
hahaha isn't it a bit pernickety to reply to a TSR post just to say that?

I've always wanted to study med, got in first time and frankly didn't bother with anything else...idek how one would go about studying radiography all I know it's what unis prefer from the type of people that got into GEM.
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by tinababy)
hahaha isn't it a bit pernickety to reply to a TSR post just to say that?
Well not really, considering that's not my only reply in this thread and hopefully you'd agree I've already given the OP some decent advice.

Also, it's hardly pernickety: you're a med student, someone more senior corrected something you got wrong. That's just the way it works, it's not pernickety, it's how you learn new things. And it might stop you having an awkward moment with a consultant radiologist someday when you're a junior doctor
Moonstruck16
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well not really, considering that's not my only reply in this thread and hopefully you'd agree I've already given the OP some decent advice.

Also, it's hardly pernickety: you're a med student, someone more senior corrected something you got wrong. That's just the way it works, it's not pernickety, it's how you learn new things. And it might stop you having an awkward moment with a consultant radiologist someday when you're a junior doctor
Lmfao burn
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.41%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.45%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (91)
38.08%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.55%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.51%

Watched Threads