The Student Room Group
Students relax on campus, Teesside University
Teesside University
Middlesbrough
Visit website

Some revision tips...

Hope you're all still battling through the exams.

Keep going...keep your eye on the prize... :happy2:

Here are a few revision tips if you need a little boost

a.c.t.i.v.e revision is usually the most effective type of revision (just reading your notes often isn't enough)... practice using the information that you've learnt so that it sticks in your head...you can do this in a few ways...:bubbles:

summarise it (how would you outline everything you've learnt to someone who doesn't know about the topic area?- what are the most important bits?):fleurdelis:

make a mind map, chart, brainstorm, diagram or drawing of the key points (stick these up around your desk) :flower2:

quiz yourself (or ask your friends or family to fire quick questions at you) :confused:

set yourself some mock exam questions... what might you be asked? :flutterby:

produce a summary sheet - stick to one sheet and outline the most important parts of your learning - keep referring to it to check that you understand the relationships between the different areas of your topic :hugwings:

create a revision timetable - cover all topic areas and ensure you set aside enough time for each. Build breaks into your day and make sure you fit some relaxation time in too :cookie:

Best of luck! Get in touch if you need a hand with anything.

:kungfu:go smash those exams.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Teesside University
Hope you're all still battling through the exams.

Keep going...keep your eye on the prize... :happy2:

Here are a few revision tips if you need a little boost

:hoppy:a.c.t.i.v.e revision is usually the most effective type of revision (just reading your notes often isn't enough)... practice using the information that you've learnt so that it sticks in your head...you can do this in a few ways...:bubbles:

summarise it (how would you outline everything you've learnt to someone who doesn't know about the topic area?- what are the most important bits?):fleurdelis:

make a mind map, chart, brainstorm, diagram or drawing of the key points (stick these up around your desk) :flower2:

quiz yourself (or ask your friends or family to fire quick questions at you) :confused:

set yourself some mock exam questions... what might you be asked? :flutterby:

produce a summary sheet - stick to one sheet and outline the most important parts of your learning - keep referring to it to check that you understand the relationships between the different areas of your topic :hugwings:

create a revision timetable - cover all topic areas and ensure you set aside enough time for each. Build breaks into your day and make sure you fit some relaxation time in too :cookie:

Best of luck! Get in touch if you need a hand with anything.

:kungfu:go smash those exams.

A summary sheet is a really good idea! Definitely something I'll use :yep:
Students relax on campus, Teesside University
Teesside University
Middlesbrough
Visit website
Reply 2
x

This is what I do :tongue:

Get comfortable. Clear the area (my bed). Get a load of books, paper, and stationary. Get some snacks (Dr Pepper, Maoam Pinballs, Chocolate Peanuts).

Read the book/article/thing to read. Read it again, this time highlighting key words/phrases (if you don't own the book, do this on a photocopy and if it's an online article, print it out). Read it again, copying it word for word on to a piece of paper. Highlight the key words and phrases on this. Now copy that onto a piece of paper in your own words. Highlight key words and phrases. Read this into a voice recorder, and play it back occasionally.

If, when reading the text book, something doesn't seem to make sense, write what confuses you on a post-it note and stick it on the page, sticking out of the book. When you have time, research it in more detail. When it makes sense, remove the post-it note. You should feel encouraged by seeing the number of post-it notes sticking out gradually decreasing!

Do past papers. Check the answers against the mark scheme. If you get any answers wrong, revise that part again, and try the past paper again at a later date. Keep doing this until you consistently get 100%. Also read the examiner's notes to find out where most people made mistakes!

Get one or two friends with a textbook each. Spend a few minutes reading each page/section. After this, discuss what you've read for around 5 minutes. Then ask each other 2 or 3 questions, the answer to which can be found in the text (the answerer(s) cannot look at the book). If they are wrong, correct them. If they are correct, suggest ways to improve their answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chelseadagg3r
A summary sheet is a really good idea! Definitely something I'll use :yep:

Good luck :bubbles:.. millions of different colours of highlighters help too :wink::fleurdelis:
Original post by Kyx
This is what I do :tongue:

Get comfortable. Clear the area (my bed). Get a load of books, paper, and stationary. Get some snacks (Dr Pepper, Maoam Pinballs, Chocolate Peanuts).

Read the book/article/thing to read. Read it again, this time highlighting key words/phrases (if you don't own the book, do this on a photocopy and if it's an online article, print it out). Read it again, copying it word for word on to a piece of paper. Highlight the key words and phrases on this. Now copy that onto a piece of paper in your own words. Highlight key words and phrases. Read this into a voice recorder, and play it back occasionally.

If, when reading the text book, something doesn't seem to make sense, write what confuses you on a post-it note and stick it on the page, sticking out of the book. When you have time, research it in more detail. When it makes sense, remove the post-it note. You should feel encouraged by seeing the number of post-it notes sticking out gradually decreasing!

Do past papers. Check the answers against the mark scheme. If you get any answers wrong, revise that part again, and try the past paper again at a later date. Keep doing this until you consistently get 100%. Also read the examiner's notes to find out where most people made mistakes!

Get one or two friends with a textbook each. Spend a few minutes reading each page/section. After this, discuss what you've read for around 5 minutes. Then ask each other 2 or 3 questions, the answer to which can be found in the text (the answerer(s) cannot look at the book). If they are wrong, correct them. If they are correct, suggest ways to improve their answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great ideas :clap2:you sound very well prepared. Brilliant work with the past papers and examiners' notes too.... awesome. Also loving the involvement of snacks! :cookie:....essential!! Best of luck with everything.

Laura
Reply 5
Great ideas :clap2:you sound very well prepared. Brilliant work with the past papers and examiners' notes too.... awesome. Also loving the involvement of snacks! :cookie:....essential!! Best of luck with everything.

Laura

I haven't revised for over a year though since I took a gap year, and I start uni in September :redface:

I can eat two packets of biscuits in under an hour, I'm so unhealthy LOL (physics makes me hungry)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest