The Student Room Group

Self-studying for CIE A Level practicals

I am a mature student planning to sit CIE A Level Physics (9702) exam. Generally, I have not had problems with understanding physics and will be able to prepare for theoretical papers through self-study, but two practical papers of this exam make me worry. I almost did not have any laboratory experience while studying at school, and there are no CIE (or other UK exam boards) courses in my country, which I could attend. The course syllabus stresses that learners cannot be adequately prepared without extensive laboratory work during their course of study.

So my question is: is it possible to prepare for papers 3 and 5 of CIE A Level Physics through self-study and to achieve A* on this exam? I am sure that I am not the only one in such a situation :smile: and would be grateful for any advice.
Original post by Fortesque
I am a mature student planning to sit CIE A Level Physics (9702) exam. Generally, I have not had problems with understanding physics and will be able to prepare for theoretical papers through self-study, but two practical papers of this exam make me worry. I almost did not have any laboratory experience while studying at school, and there are no CIE (or other UK exam boards) courses in my country, which I could attend. The course syllabus stresses that learners cannot be adequately prepared without extensive laboratory work during their course of study.

So my question is: is it possible to prepare for papers 3 and 5 of CIE A Level Physics through self-study and to achieve A* on this exam? I am sure that I am not the only one in such a situation :smile: and would be grateful for any advice.

Majority of the experiments in paper 3 are actually quite easy and I think you could do it on the first attempt given that you know before hand what kind of question you could be asked
But the problem arises when it comes to electricity experiments. It can get really tricky. Because connecting and setting up the circuit can be really difficult, and with one wrong connection, you won't get the right readings on your meter. During my exams, even tho I had a lot of practice, I had difficulty with the connection. So I think when it comes to that experiment you definitely need practice.
And about paper 5, I have no idea as I have yet to start with A2.
Hope that helps!!

Quick Reply

Latest