DON'T legalise DRUGS! The War On Drugs

Watch
username3418668
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
It seems in America more and more (mainly left wing) people are for legalising weed,
and considering TSR is quite left, possibly you think this is a good idea to?

The arguments for are that it is a pain reliever for many conditions, and that it will reduce police spending and violence by police not tracking down these drugs.

others argue it is a gateway drug and people don't want it in their society
(including me)

This is a two part question-
Do you think minor drugs such as weed should be legalised/why?
and
How can we stop the war on drugs, which costs many lives and much money?
username3418668
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I think drugs cause nothing but problems.
Logia
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Legalising drugs will massively reduce crime rates, money laundering, fraud and violent/gang crime. Legalising substances but putting them at an incredibly high price has economic benefits - with the high pricing a deterrent for more addictive or harmful drugs. It would make the Silk Road on the dark web redundant, instead the net worth of the Silk Road would contribute to global economies and trade

I'm not pro legalisation of things like Heroine, Krokodil etc. but less harmful substances like Marijuana could be legal and it would benefit the economy if it was. Of course there's complications such as 'gate way drug' inferences - however, the 'gate way' effect is unproven. You can argue cigarettes are a gateway to Marijuana. But these are normalised, so why not Weed too? I don't smoke it, but there are benefits to legalising it

Edit: how does Weed cause problems? It's got more health benefits than harmful effects.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would legalise all drugs but ban the selling of drugs that are impure by definition, for example
  • Ban heroin in favour of methadone.
  • Ban krokodil in favour of morphine.

Consumer protection provisions would be necessary, I would suggest listing the LD50, anything added to the compound, and appropriate health warnings.

I would also advise revising drug education, which is absurdly biased to the point at which we have children claiming that illegal drugs are categorically bad, and that alcohol and other such drugs are legal for any other reason than for profit. Rather than attempting to dissuade users, education should focus on safe usage, dosage, and emergency procedures, which are unfortunately neglected, a practice which easily puts lives in danger.
Simonpanteli
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes because it has health benefits and is NOT a gateway drug or can be argued alcohol is more of a gateway drugOnly way to stop war on drugs is decriminalisation such as in Portugal
salmonman123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Only reasons why weed can be seen as a gateway drug is because of the huge negative stigma around it, always taught from a young age "Smoke weed you'll go insane/ ruin your life" so eventually when people do try it and nothing happens its a whole "This isn't actually that bad for me, they must have lied about other drugs as well" So they try other drugs thinking they are less harmful then they've been told, for some drugs this is true but things like benzos and heroin which can be extremely dangerous and addictive they'll try anyway because they've been lied to about weed so this is probably the same.

When you also look at the reasons why weed was made illegal in the first place it's a joke and there is absolutely no reason for it to still be illegal. I don't smoke and I don't believe that weed is a cure all like everyone says it is, because it's not, but in comparison to other drugs weed is harmless and shouldn't be looked down upon in the same way as heroin or benzos which can and do kill people

Removing such strict laws on some drugs can also be a lot safer, instead of people getting pills which could contain anything, give people a safe way to test these pills legally without the fear that if they do they're going to be sent down
It's****ingWOODY
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Logia)
Legalising drugs will massively reduce crime rates, money laundering, fraud and violent/gang crime. Legalising substances but putting them at an incredibly high price has economic benefits - with the high pricing a deterrent for more addictive or harmful drugs. It would make the Silk Road on the dark web redundant, instead the net worth of the Silk Road would contribute to global economies and trade

I'm not pro legalisation of things like Heroine, Krokodil etc. but less harmful substances like Marijuana could be legal and it would benefit the economy if it was. Of course there's complications such as 'gate way drug' inferences - however, the 'gate way' effect is unproven. You can argue cigarettes are a gateway to Marijuana. But these are normalised, so why not Weed too? I don't smoke it, but there are benefits to legalising it

Edit: how does Weed cause problems? It's got more health benefits than harmful effects.
Lets also factor in that if drugs were legalised, and sold in pharmacies, that means that it would be a pure product, dosed correctly and would potentially lead to fewer drug-induced complications and ease up the strain on the NHS. As you also touched upon, they could be taxed if they were sold in pharmacies which is great for the economy.

I'm someone who doesn't take any form of recreational drug whatsoever, but I'm 100% in favour of legalising them because the positives FAR outweigh the negatives. I think the only argument you can really provide is that it might encourage drug use because they'd be more accessible, but this is pure speculation and honestly, who can't get hold of drugs these days :lol:
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am all for the decriminalisation and regulation of marijuana, and I say that as a non-user. The impact of marijuana on both individual and societal health has been shown to be no greater than the most popular currently legal drugs of alcohol and tobacco. With proper regulation as seen in the american states adopting progressive marijuana laws and countries like the netherlands, increased access to marijuana has yielded predominantly positive outcomes with little to no manifestation of the worst proposed negative outcomes. Its medicinal value as a pain relief with comparatively low level side effects mean it represents a potentially valuable tool as an alternative to conventional painkillers, especially in countries like the USA currently struggling with a full blown opioid epidemic. In this sense not only could it have genuine use in reducing the reliance on prescription painkillers, but also prevent the progression of opioid addicts onto drugs like heroin.

Harder drugs, on the other hand, should remain illegal but the approach to handling and enforcing these restrictions needs reevaluating across the western world. The "war on drugs" as it is usually defined is simply not working.
Castro Saint
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm for the legalisation of most drugs (and decriminalisation for all) for many of the same reasons already posted on this thread.

It is a war that simply cannot be won, so why not at least make drugs safer for people to use?
Dot.Cotton
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They should all remain illegal and possession of them should carry a strict and hefty fine. The vast, vast majority of druggies are good for nothing lowlifes who contribute nothing to society.
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dot.Cotton)
They should all remain illegal and possession of them should carry a strict and hefty fine. The vast, vast majority of druggies are good for nothing lowlifes who contribute nothing to society.
Lol, you have no idea what you are talking about. Is a street junkie all you can see, when you think about people using drugs? It's nothing like that. You can't even tell with most people, unless they have a crazy addiction. Quite a few CEOs, lawyers, models, actors... literally people from all walks of life often do drugs at some point.
Kravence
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by trendingNOW)
It seems in America more and more (mainly left wing) people are for legalising weed,
and considering TSR is quite left, possibly you think this is a good idea to?

The arguments for are that it is a pain reliever for many conditions, and that it will reduce police spending and violence by police not tracking down these drugs.

others argue it is a gateway drug and people don't want it in their society
(including me)

This is a two part question-
Do you think minor drugs such as weed should be legalised/why?
and
How can we stop the war on drugs, which costs many lives and much money?
Why do you think weed is a gateway drug?

& The problem with the war on drugs is that it's targeting the supplier instead the demand. Which is ironic in some sense

Spoiler:
Show

Castro Saint
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There is no such thing as a gateway drug. I'm sure most drug users/addicts were breastfed as a baby. Following "gateway drug" logic, breastmilk is now a danger and should be made illegal.
username3118454
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Please legalise weed already...
RF_PineMarten
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Right now, I could get into legal trouble if I grow a marijuana plant in my own home for my own personal use. Just think for a moment about how horribly authoritarian that is.

If I take drugs in a way that has no negative impact on anyone else, or anyone that doesn't consent to drugs, then why should it be any business of the state? It should be my decision. Not the police's, not Theresa May's, mine and mine only. There's a strong personal liberty argument there. Furthermore, legalising drugs like marijuana could undercut illegal drug dealers and ease the burden on the police force who could then focus on real crimes.

Most of the arguments made in favour of keeping these drugs illegal could also be applied to alcohol and tobacco, which are both legal and widely accepted. It seems to be pretty much all "drugs are unhealthy and bad mmkay" type stuff, and I just have this natural aversion to moralistic nanny state "won't someone please think of the children" nonsense.
Meany Pie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The war on drugs has failed, it is time to find a better approach.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username3118454
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kravence)
Why do you think weed is a gateway drug?
Could be https://www.drugabuse.gov/publicatio...a-gateway-drug
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Out of interest, if you categorically oppose substances that damage the body, why is alcohol a grey area for you?
Castro Saint
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Okay. I'll start off by saying that is not a "moral fact" that drugs should be illegal. If they are against your morals, that is absolutely fine but a fact it is not. Applying your own logic to the fact drugs alter chemical balance and therefore should be banned should then mean that all hospitals and doctors surgeries should stop using medicine (drugs!). The fact that they are "bad for your body" means all foods and drinks deemed unhealthy should also be banned, right? People should only be consuming things objectively good for their body?

It could be argued that most people that want to take drugs already do - for the most part they are not that hard to obtain. Anyway, if drugs were to be regulated, I think there is no doubt that some people that have never taken them before may try some out, correct. However, it is hardly likely that a huge wave of people will suddenly turn into avid drug users just because they are legalised. Most people already have their own limit of what they would take and would not take (you are a great example!).

Legalisation/regulation would decrease overdoses. The regulation of drugs means that purity and dosage can be controlled and people will know what they are getting. This makes it much safer.

Legalisation/regulation would decrease violent crime. If drugs are regulated by the state, it cuts out the middleman. Where do people currently buy their drugs from? Dealers and gangs. Where does most drug related crime come from? Dealers and gangs. Regulation pushes them out of the market. Addicts on some of the much harder drugs, such as Crack and Heroin also resort to [violent] crime to fund their habit, right? With regulation, money that would have been spent on the 'war on drugs', and money made from selling the less harmful substances could be used to setup clinics to help these people. Substitutes and a safe place to take their fix could be readily available to them, with professionals able to give them the help they need to steer them on to the right path/recovery.
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you're going to keep pushing for this nonsensical "war" against drugs, you should focus more on designer drugs, not weed you silly goose.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What uni admissions terms did you/do you find confusing?

Adjustment (114)
14.29%
AAM (Additional Assessment Materials) (85)
10.65%
Changed course offer (35)
4.39%
Clearing (58)
7.27%
Conditional offer (11)
1.38%
Deferral (33)
4.14%
Ucas Extra (92)
11.53%
First Generation or First in Family (25)
3.13%
Point of Entry (56)
7.02%
Self-release (116)
14.54%
Tariff Point (64)
8.02%
Unconditional offer (11)
1.38%
Withdrawal (23)
2.88%
I understood all of the language used in the application process (69)
8.65%
I found another term confusing (let us know in the thread!) (6)
0.75%

Watched Threads