I don't know what subjects to take to redo my first year...(MFL related)

Watch
arana1409
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I go to sixth form college, I am in the lower sixth but due to being ill earlier this year I dropped out of college at April and am starting my first year again in September.
I studied French, music, maths
I love languages and want to study modern languages at uni.
I am going to take French and music again but not maths. I did Spanish GCSE (A*) but the last time I did any Spanish was over a year ago now. So I could take Spanish. Alternatively my college does Italian ab initio (from the start) so I could take that. I don't know which to take.
When I first started French last year I hadn't done any French for 2 years (French GCSE in year 9 and then Spanish GCSE years 10 and 11) and I really struggled at first. It took me three months to catch up enough but I still felt slightly behind. I don't want the same to happen in Spanish.
I'm looking at studying French and Spanish at uni and possibly a third, but I don't know which A-levels to take out of Spanish and Italian.
I also know what's in the Spanish syllabus for AS level (because I've done it in French), and I don't know if the Italian will be the new syllabus for GCSE.
Does anyone know what it's like studying Spanish or Italian? I've heard Italian is the easiest of the 3. And starting from scratch would be a good chance to really learn the basics (which I struggle with in French because I did them in year 7 when I couldn't care less).
Thanks
Anna Schoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by arana1409)
So I go to sixth form college, I am in the lower sixth but due to being ill earlier this year I dropped out of college at April and am starting my first year again in September.
I am going to take French and music again but not maths. I did Spanish GCSE (A*) but the last time I did any Spanish was over a year ago now. So I could take Spanish. Alternatively my college does Italian ab initio (from the start) so I could take that. I don't know which to take.
When I first started French last year I hadn't done any French for 2 years (French GCSE in year 9 and then Spanish GCSE years 10 and 11) and I really struggled at first. It took me three months to catch up enough but I still felt slightly behind. I don't want the same to happen in Spanish.
I'm looking at studying French and Spanish at uni and possibly a third, but I don't know which A-levels to take out of Spanish and Italian.
I also know what's in the Spanish syllabus for AS level (because I've done it in French), and I don't know if the Italian will be the new syllabus for GCSE.
Does anyone know what it's like studying Spanish or Italian? I've heard Italian is the easiest of the 3. And starting from scratch would be a good chance to really learn the basics (which I struggle with in French because I did them in year 7 when I couldn't care less).
Thanks
Just a few thoughts:

To which, if any, of the two languages (Spanish or Italian) do you feel more attracted?

If you've already got an A* in Spanish it seems a pity to throw it all away and start with Italian ab initio. Of course you'll be rusty after a year of not studying Spanish but you could revise your grammar and vocab over the summer holidays, which will help you enormously.

That being said, you may be more attracted to Italian than to Spanish - it is probably a prettier language, after all. I would say that if you are passionate about learning Italian, then do that. Learning languages is all about motivation, and it's much more rewarding to study subjects that you love, particularly when you get to university level.

On balance, unless you have a strong reason to do Italian, I would stick with Spanish.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
Thanks
I would think Spanish on the basis you intend to study it at Uni. You could be in for a nasty shock if you havent done it at A level and you should check they are ok with you studying Spanish without A level.

Start over the summer.
HeyImKate
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks
I'd say go with what is easiest for you. Also take a look at some universities and what courses they offer and the entry requirements. I know that some unis do ab initio language courses, so you could see if there is maybe somewhere that does a French and ab initio Spanish course if you're keen to study these two at uni, but don't want to be behind now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (520)
33.74%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (638)
41.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (313)
20.31%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.54%

Watched Threads